Skip to content

Which of the following BG1 NPCs would you want me to make a BG2 mod for

TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
I AM MAKING NO PROMISES. However, college semester is almost over, I've finished playing SoD and I've put in more work in my NPC mod this week than I had for the rest of the year. The writing spirit has returned to me so I'm planning for future mods after I complete Sirene for BG2. While I'd rather create an entirely new character, too many of my original character concepts get shelved due to the effort spent in brainstorming personalities, subplots, getting portraits, etc. that I've resolved for something simpler. I am creating a poll right now to see which of the following is most wanted among the community.

NPC Candidates

Alora
Garrick
Kagain
Safana
Shar-Teel

NPCs with functional mods with full content (banters, etc.) aka the following: Coran, Xan, Branwen, Kivan, Tiax, Skie (yes, there was one by Lava DelVortel, unfortunately its continuity is now shafted by SoD), Quayle (again I believe there is one), Yeslick and Ajantis are out.

NPCs significantly integrated into the BG2 plot aka Dynaheir, Khalid and Faldorn are also out. In the case of the first two, Minsc and Jaheira's continuity depends on them being dead. In Faldorn's case, I do not want to mess with the Trademeet plot. Safana is an EXCEPTION due to how minor her sub-plot is (and it was supposedly made as a joke to begin with)

Xzar and Montaron are out. They're minor enough to make into joinable NPCs but crazies, psychos and sociopaths are not my thing. Even if I didn't find them boring, I don't think I can do justice to the people who like them. Sorry.

Eldoth is also out. Because screw Eldoth.

NPC Candidates: My Priority

Shar-Teel
Safana
Alora
Garrick
Kagain

What this means is that unless there's an overwhelming amount of desire for a Kagain mod (let's say 70% of votes) I probably won't do it. That being said, I'm not ruling anything out. Maybe there really are a bunch of dwarf-philes (not a real word) out there aside from Grum (sorry for calling you out if you see this).

Romances

Yes... if I don't bring this up someone else most assuredly will. I'm not much of a romance writer (Sirene's romance path is proving to be hell to write) but I know some people would love them. I'll try my best, if it's what people really want.

Shar-Teel romance is guaranteed. Safana is likely. Alora is also quite likely (because all you shorty lovers have gone deprived of love for too long). Garrick is a maybe. Kagain is a straight no.

-----

What do you guys think? Who would you like for me to continue the tale for? Again, I make no promises. It will likely be a long time before I can deliver, if ever. But all I want is an opinion.

Oh, and this is for the mods: I've posted in General Discussions because it seems to get the most traffic. This might be against the rules, so feel free to move it. I would have named "Which of the following do you want in BG2" but then it wouldn't cover the main gist of the topic. My apologies in advance.

By the way, my predictions for order of popularity: Alora, Kagain, Shar-Teel, Safana, Garrick. Feel free to prove me wrong.
  1. Which of the following BG1 NPCs would you want me to make a BG2 mod for102 votes
    1. Alora
      21.57%
    2. Garrick
      13.73%
    3. Kagain
      10.78%
    4. Safana
      14.71%
    5. Shar-Teel
      39.22%

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    About to go to bed now. I'll respond to comments in the morning.
  • FoggyFoggy Member Posts: 297
    Shar-Tell romance. And her banters with Anomen. I gotta see this. Please make it happen.
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Shar'teel ftw! Never cared much for Alora and Safana. Garrick would be great too, but having Kagain is like walking around with a rock, a bearded rock, which you throw out in front of enemies. There's really nothing much to miss in BG2.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    Aedan said:
    But the thing is this poll includes NPCs excluded from your poll, like Safana, and vice versa.

After getting another chapter with Safana in SoD (I still don't know the final), I would very much like her story for BG2 changed. That story has always seemed to me a bit rushed and strange.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    If you were to create a shar-teel mod I would hope you could ensure consistency with the bg:npc project character and romance which is actually really well done.
  • AKrugBierAKrugBier Member Posts: 110
    Shar-
    jobby said:

If you were to create a shar-teel mod I would hope you could ensure consistency with the bg:npc project character and romance which is actually really well done.

So much this.

I loved what the guys did with Shar-Teel in the BG1 NPC project. So I hope that you'll apply her character to her BG2 iteration.
  • EnialusMeliamneEnialusMeliamne Member Posts: 399
    Alora. I've never played a halfling through to completion inBG, but an Alora mod might just do it. She helped my dwarven defender take down Sarevok on one of my playthrough's used for later SOD import.
    @EnialusMeliamne
    Raven has already developed and released a mod that introduces Alora in BG2: http://www.baldursgatemods.com/forums/index.php?board=13.0

I have never tried it though :)
    TIL. Thank you for pointing that out!
    You're welcome :)
    That bodes the question then: if you were to do an Alora mod that added a romance to her, would it be merged with Raven's Alora? I see that Alora in BGII doesn't have a romance. That would be something I would play.
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    Vote Kagain. Vote Dwarf.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    edited April 2016
    i say kagain. we need a counter point to korgan. and we need more evil npc mods that are more level headed.

edit: Shar-Teel comes 2nd for one reason. angelo cross mod content :P.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I love Garrick, but his cameo is incredibly appropriate for his character. Also, seeing him become a level 20+ badass just seems wrong.

Likewise, I feel as though Safana's story came to a fitting end in Shadows of Amn. I also think Shar=Teel is not much fun to expand on.

This leaves Alora and Kagain, and I would take both if possible.
  • JarrakulJarrakul Member Posts: 2,029
    I have an irrational love of Shar-Teel. She is a massive negative stereotype of a group I consider myself part of, and for some reason instead of finding that offensive I find it incredibly entertaining. Also, BG2 could use more evil NPCs.
  • IcecreamtubIcecreamtub Member Posts: 547
    edited April 2016
    I'm sorry Alora, I do love you... But Shar-Teel is a character that is far more interesting to me.
    I also use her voice pack in Bg2 almost all the time.

How exactly would you be implementing Shar-Teel into BG2?
    Given that she hates Men and has a sharp tongue, I'm hoping these get accentuated rather than censored.

In terms of Romance, I assume she will be interested in romancing Females?
    It would seem off to me for her to romance Men given her attitude.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    I'm shocked how many people like Shar-Teel.... imho, the character I'd like to see the least. I'd rather have Biff the Understudy :S
  • Lord_TansheronLord_Tansheron Member Posts: 4,211
    Safana, with Shar-Teel close second. I think Safana has the most room for interesting things to happen.

Though I imagine both Shar-Teel and Alora would probably have a more interesting romance; not the focus of the mod, though, so there you go.

Kagain and Garrick are dudes, so they're right out.
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    edited April 2016
    Alora because BG2 is in dire need of a non multi, non dualclassed, non evil thief. (Plus her voice is just ridiculously adorable)
    Guess there's already one in existence though.. maybe I'll check that out when I do my next replay.

I too am surprised at the Shar-teel love.
    Each and everytime I replay BG1 I am reminded why I boot her out or don't bother with her when I look at her class, and then look at her Con stat..
    Post edited by Stoibs on
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I like safana's stereotypical vamp/cougar style. I don't think she gets enough love.

Shar-teel is a close second.
  • GrumGrum Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,100

Beards, not words! IMHO the more joinable non-humans we get, the better. Even if it's that drugged Alora.
    Come to think of it, I'd be perhaps even more interested in seeing one or two members of the Candlekeep party again. I'm thinking here of:

Arkanis - NG Dwarven Fighter

Deder - TN Halfling Fighter/Thief

If only you could recruit those two in candlekeep...then we could have a dwarf fighter in both good and evil parties!
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    I'm going Shar-Teel because evil has a lack of options, especially those that can dual/multiclass. Also, Kagain is basically in the game already. No need to clone Korgan.
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Voted Garrick. This is a strange companion for me, which evokes no - really, zero! - emotions. I can not "get" him even with mod in BG1. Would like to see it changed.
  • StoibsStoibs Member Posts: 66
    Jarrakul said:

Stoibs said:

I too am surprised at the Shar-teel love.
    Each and everytime I replay BG1 I am reminded why I boot her out or don't bother with her when I look at her class, and then look at her Con stat..

It's worth noting that Shar-Teel's Con is no worse than Dorn's in terms of actual effect on the game, and it's only 1 hp per level worse than Minsc's. Factor in her 17 Dex, and she's generally a better tank than either of those characters in BG1.
    Fair enough. As a typically 'good' aligned player I've never really used or know much about Dorn either.
    Guess it's more of a kneejerk reaction based upon on-paper stats than anything in my case.
  • gesellegeselle Member Posts: 325
    Good to see Shar-teel leading. She is a magnificent bitch.