Skip to content

Ineth's themed collections of BG2 style portraits

inethineth Member Posts: 707

Ineth's themed collections of
Baldur's Gate II style portraits

Since my IWD:EE portraits thread was well received, I'd like to share some BG2:EE portraits I collected as well.
However, instead of one big pack, these are more focused collections centered around particular themes.

Collections, not original art

Please note that I did not paint any of these images - I merely cropped (and post-processed) them into BG2 portraits.
The originals are images which I found browsing on Pinterest / DeviantArt / Google Image Search, painted by random artists. (See the "Spoiler" boxes in each section for credits and details.)

Download

An archive with ready-to-use BMPs is attached to the end of each post.

Alternatively, you can click individual portraits to get their 210x330 version in PNG format. (Don't use "right click > save image" on this page, because then you'll only get the low-resolution JPG thumbnail.)

To use the portraits, simply place the BMP files in your BG2:EE portrait folder and select "Custom portrait" in the game.
Post edited by ineth on
JuliusBorisovkaguanaillathidGenderNihilismGirdleHalfwiseAewyrvenBeetleCaloNordGrond0Iseweintl1942

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited April 2016
    reserved
    edited April 2016
    reserved
    reserved
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited April 2016
    Very nice, I look forward to lots of more interesting choices!

Both of your next two ideas sound good too.
    Post edited by mf2112 on
    JuliusBorisovlolienGenderNihilismGirdle
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    cool
    JuliusBorisovlolienGenderNihilismGirdle
  • fkirenicusfkirenicus Member Posts: 331
    edited April 2016
    This. Awesome. :o:)
    http://i.imgur.com/vrdR49X.png
    Best I've seen in a few years, actually!
    lolien
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    I appreciate the black people portraits, since they are pretty much rare.
    Thanks a lot for sharing this great collection of portraits.
    Post edited by Aedan on
    GenderNihilismGirdleButtercheeseJuliusBorisovlolien
  • TenreccTenrecc Member Posts: 265
    Nice, can never have too many portraits, and these are of pretty high quality (not just the usual cut-outs from fantasy magazines, lol). Keep up the good work, definitely a bookmark.
    JuliusBorisovlolienkaguanalegotaksin
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    edited April 2016
    @AfroShero made a bunch of portraits back in the day, but then disappeared and took down her website. They were perfect baldurs gate style portraits and often featured people of color.

See the portraits linked by foggy on this discussion for a few of them. I believe foggy also posted a few more on subsequent pages of that thread too.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/5339/alternate-npc-and-pc-portraits-just-because-p/p51
    GenderNihilismGirdleinethlolienJuliusBorisov
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    @smeagolheart wow, I've saved a whole bunch of those to my portraits, they are incredible! I love the one based off of Mindy Kaling it's so adorable!
    smeagolheartJuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited April 2016
    @smeagolheart
    Yes, I know her work and I think her portraits are just amazing. I love all of them!

@ineth
    Sorry, I meant "I appreciate the black people portraits, since they are pretty much rare in videogames".
    If you look at IWD/BG selection of portraits, the skin is always white (except for half-orcs and drows, of course, and very few exceptions).
    Keep posting!
    inethGenderNihilismGirdlemf2112JuliusBorisov
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    ineth said:

Ineth's themed collections of
    Baldur's Gate II style portraits

Since my IWD:EE portraits thread was well received, I'd like to share some BG2:EE portraits I collected as well.
    However, instead of one big pack, these are more focused collections centered around particular themes.

Collections, not original art

Please note that I did not paint any of these images - I merely cropped (and post-processed) them into BG2 portraits.
    The originals are images which I found browsing on Pinterest / DeviantArt / Google Image Search, painted by random artists. (See the "Spoiler" boxes in each section for credits and details.)

Download

For now, click each portrait you want, to download its 210x330 PNG version. (Don't use "right click > save image" on this page, because then you'll only get the low-resolution JPG thumbnail.)
    Then convert the PNG's to 24-bit BMP images on your computer.
    (I may upload ready-to-use ZIP archives of the BMP versions in the future if there is demand.)

To use the portraits, simply place the BMP files in your BG2:EE portrait folder and select "Custom portrait" in the game.
    Please upload the zip formats. Would love on my mobile version. (Converting is a pita)
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Much appreciated! :D
    mf2112lolienJuliusBorisov
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    Sick. Tyvm.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • Lezard_ValethLezard_Valeth Member Posts: 70
    These are great. Saved.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisovBlackraven
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    ineth wrote: »
    Update:

"Vikings" pack v02:* Smoothed three of the portraits using the method outlined here, to remove graininess / resize artifacts, for example:
    (Spoiler)

"Black people" pack v02:* Smoothed/postprocessed a few of the portraits, for example:
    (Spoiler)

* Added 7 male portraits.
    * Added 11 female portraits.

Both:* Added a LUA file that you can put in the game's "override" directory together with the portrait images, and it will make the portraits show up in the in-game portrait selection screen for the correct gender. Works only for BG1:EE / BG2:EE with game patch 2.2. (Thanks @BillyYank for the tip.)
    * Added installation instructions to the bundled README file.

By the way, three of the newly added portraits are in my opinion perfect for the Shaman class that was recently added to the game:
    (Image)
    (Image)

The 1st one also fits well for a Dragon Disciple portrait. Imagining that the hard adornmant is the skull of a draconic ancestor.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Thank you very much, @ineth . Gladly fantasy art and character concepts are becoming more diverse , and hopefully the next generation won't call it "diverse" anymore, just "an obvious reflection of the world around us" .

For me gathering a BG or IWD party of npcs is both a creative and aesthetic process, so I try to blend in elements such as diversity of skin color and ethnicity or fantasy race, so extra portraits are always handy <3
    ZaxaresIseweinAerakar
  • IseweinIsewein Member Posts: 521
    These are awesome, thank you for compiling them! I wonder whether there is an option to convert them to NWN en masse.
    edited January 2021
    @Isewein
    NWN portraits are outside of my area of expertise, but if it's just a matter of scaling them to a certain size & image format, it shouldn't be too difficult to automate the task.
    I may eventually look into that; everyone else is also welcome to give it a try.
    Post edited by ineth on
  • tl1942tl1942 Member Posts: 178
    Just finding this thread for the first time.

WOW. What an outstanding collection of portraits, all perfectly positioned and cropped to fit into Baldur's Gate!

Thank you @ineth :)