Skip to content

Avenger Druids can't use Hide armor anymore?!

TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264
I noticed that the recent patches have made all hide armors in both BG1:EE and BG2:EE unusable by avengers. I am guessing that this was an intentional change, but I don't really like it. Avengers were about the only class that really had any use for hide armor, and now hide is mostly useless unless it is enchanted. Avengers are also much more vulnerable now that their already limited armor choices are even more limited. They are now especially vulnerable until they get their shapeshift abilities. Thoughts anyone?

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Ehhhhhhhhh... I guess I don't see the value of armor class on druids like others do. I don't think I've ever used hide armor period and most of the time I use Barkskin to take care of AC. Personally I don't think hide is good at all because it has a base AC of 8 vs. missile weapons so it's worse than leather if you're playing your avenger as a caster.
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,264

Personally I don't think hide is good at all because it has a base AC of 8 vs. missile weapons so it's worse than leather if you're playing your avenger as a caster.

@Artemius_I True, but regular leather has an AC of 10 vs missile so it is definitely worse than hide.
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    Is it? Geez I must be high or something since I must've confused regular leather with studded. Regardless my point still kinda stands since if you use Barkskin I believe it overrides your armor's AC but leaves the 2 point penalty vs. missile weapons. In which case I'd rather my druid go naked.
    Barkskin is good, but it just doesn't last long enough for me...
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I would create a report for that - there's no need for this change, to me. It may be unintended.
    @bengoshi I seriously doubt that this change is unintended. Changes to item usability rarely happen by accident. Besides that, this isn't the first change along this line the devs have made to avenger usability. Patch 1.3 made ankheg armor unusable by avengers and that was definitely intended. Patch 2 was likely following this precedent by disabling hides as well. I think the devs' logic is that the kit disadvantage says "May not wear heavier armor than leather" and they have decided that hide is heavier than leather (which I guess it is). They used the same logic for the ankheg armor.
  • CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    This was intentional to be consistent with the statement "Avengers may not wear armor heavier than leather". The specified weight for hide armor is 25lb, while leather is 15lb.
  • HalfwiseHalfwise Member Posts: 78
    edited April 2016
    Hrmm, it is a little disconcerting that certain gameplay elements are changed in such an old game, this far out... (Edit: Emphasis on "little", this change isn't that bad, though the Ankheg hurts. It's not a problem unless I start seeing an excessive recurring pattern.)

I mean I love the concept of adding new features and stuff, and then those getting patched, but changing old content feels like it would if suddenly they removed "invisibility" from Staff of the Magi or something. It also makes old guides and posts about certain classes inaccurate and/or confusing to new players. (Like if you decided to google "Best armor for Avengers +"Baldur's Gate") Actually, it would be confusing to old players as well who have specific memory of what does and does not work, and then they get several hours in, and find their "build" is no longer quite as applicable as it once was.

Usually, I feel that if people wanted that changed to be more "realistic" they could mod that out. Though, as a counter, i suppose they could also mod it back in... Though mods are meant to be for when you want things changed, more than you want them to stay the same, if that makes sense.

I'd like to point out though that "heavy" doesn't have to mean "Exact weight", it could also include thickness and rigidity as well. I have a "heavy" coat that is a lot lighter than another one of my coats, but it has more insulation and get way warmer than the other. So hide might weigh more, but it would have significantly more flexibility than your standard leather, and allow for more freedom of movement, which I feel is the true reasoning behind most armor restrictions: range of motion.

As a rule of thumb: Put on the armor, stand up straight, then lean over and try to touch your toes. The closer you get, the lighter the armor is.
    Post edited by Halfwise on
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    Are there any good hide armors anyway?
    @JumboWheat01 Aegar's Hide is pretty good.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    edited April 2016
    @Cerevant that is interesting phrasing, as I (and others in my gaming communities) have long used 'heavier' to refer to the AC number (or quality), rather than than the physical mass of the armor. As such, I got the notion that the Avenger limitation was thematic about doubling-down on natural armors, where hides (even dragon hides) would be very much in keeping. I can take the idea that hides turned into plate armors are outside the physical shape of armors Avengers are familiar with, and would much rather see Avengers able to use non-magical hides, and not suddenly able to use Shadow Dragon Scale just because it weight 10lbs (assuming we are being consistent about this?)

Edited to add: Of course, the munchkin/power-gamer in me would rather see Avengers using all 'natural' hide armors made out of dragons and ankhegs ;)

Second edit: I think this usage of 'heavy' as a relative adjective for armor may have more common at the time 2nd edition was written and played, putting the terminology into context.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited April 2016
    Halfwise said:

Hrmm, it is a little disconcerting that certain gameplay elements are changed in such an old game, this far out...

Which class/kit can access which armor/armors is one of those things that pops up from time to time. This wasn't an issue so much in the original BG1, where (obviously non-kitted) druids could wear hide/ankheg armor. It really became an issue more with the introduction of kits by BG2 (where armor rules were fairly inconsistently applied and the exact rules regarding who can use what get kind of murky).

That said I'll admit that weight is not a good choice for deciding whether or not some armors should be accessible. Mostly because on top of druids there are other classes/kits that this creates problems for. For instance, Stalkers and Beastmaster's are restricted from using armor heavier than studded leather (25lb) but also can't wear Ankheg Plate Mail or any other armor that weighs equal to or less than that (like the Jester's Chain). So basically I'll say that its just one of those things where no one can win :)
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @Tresset are there any other enchanted hide armors? That was the only one I could think of off the top of my head.
    @Pteran Come to think of it... No. Aegar's Hide is pretty much the only one, although I believe you can find some generic ones up to +3 enchantment in BP2. Before the patch, Aegar's Hide was the second best out of 2 significant choices for avenger armor in BG2. Now only one really good armor is left for avengers... The Shadow Dragon Scale is the best armor that is still wearable by them (Big Metal Unit notwithstanding).
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    They can wear Shadow Dragon Scale? That's pretty sweet! I somehow missed that before. Aegar's Hide is really good, and I always liked upgrading it to +5 with the Item Upgrades mod. Gave it better stats and I think some extra immunities.
  • flokifloki Member Posts: 9
    Downloaded the manual for SOD, there it says that Druids can use hide armour and also the specialization to Avenger can. So maybe file a bug report because the manual says hide armour should be possible. For me it feels kinda logical that most classes can wear hide armour anyway, looking forward to the Android release of SOD to give the Shaman class a try which also alows hide armour.