Skip to content

[Mods] Awesome Soundsets Mods Master Thread. Custom Soundsets for BGEE, BG2EE and IWDEE

Comments

• Swifty_MageeSwifty_Magee Member Posts: 229
    edited April 2016
    @Thels , I was able to install my Awesome Soundsets on the Steam version of Siege of Dragonspear. The only time I got errors was when I used Modmerge.

I'm sorry, and I'm not trying to spread incorrect information, but THE ONLY time I got installation errors was after Modmerge was installed on my computer. Before going through that process, the Awesome Soundsets installed correctly after having the SoD zip; the only thing that was messed up was the subtitles.

I'm not trying to spread false information; this is my experience. Awesome Soundsets does indeed install on Siege of Dragonspear. At least on the Steam version of Siege of Dragonspear.

EDIT: In fact, I just uninstalled/re-installed BGEE with SoD and tried to install an Awesome Soundset...and it worked! No installation errors. However, I DO get installation errors after using Modmerge.

Please stop saying I'm incorrect. If you happen to have a Steam or GOG version of BGEE 2.0 with the SoD DLC, try it yourself. Everything works fine until you add Modmerge. Every other mod installs fine after Modmerge EXCEPT Awesome Soundsets.
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    edited April 2016
    @Swifty_Magee: That's because on default, the Steam/GoG installations are in some limbo in between "no SoD" and "SoD". While in that state, mods try to patch the "no SoD" files, while the game uses the "SoD" files. It should be obvious why that is bad.

That part of the mod still worked is more by chance. I'm assuming the mod simply extracts some sound files, which are then still registered by the game. You can simply extract sound files to the "Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\sounds" directory, and if you name them properly, those work just fine as well!

And as you said, subtitles were all messed up. There may have been additional problems as well, I don't know.

All in all, this limbo in between "no SoD" and "SoD" is not something that you want to be working with. You can't access or patch the majority of the files, and it's a state that's not even available on the Beamdog version.

That this mod kinda sorta worked in that state and not in the final state is a fluke, and not something that any modder should focus on!

So please believe me when I tell you that the modmerge tool is NOT the issue here. It is most certainly NOT what smeagolheart should focus on when he tries to fix the problem. As a matter of fact, smeagolheart uses the Beamdog version, so when he upgrades to SoD, he doesn't even have that zip file, and is immediately stuck with the files that you get after running the modmerge (think of the Beamdog version as already having that modmerge tool built-in).

Again, I mean no hostility. I just want to clarify on what the issue is, so that smeagolheart knows what to work on, if he chooses to fix the problem. Your messages stating how the modmerge tool is the cause of the problem may confuse him and place him on the wrong path, wasting lots of his valuable time.
    ineth
    edited April 2016
    @Thels , Listen, I'm not saying that Modmerge is broken or is ineffective at doing what it was programmed to do. Modmerge does indeed appear to work with other mods I install.

What I'm trying to say is that whenever I go through the Modmerge process, I cannot install Awesome Soundsets.

It most likely has to do with Awesome Soundsets mod itself...we've established that. However, I can't change the fact that the Modmerge process kills Awesome Soundset installations, at least in MY case. The Modmerge extraction process won't allow any Awesome Soundset to install on my computer, with my Steam-relevant game content, and I don't appreciate that you have been constantly saying I'm wrong when I state that.

This is simply the case: I can't install Awesome Soundsets after using Modmerge. I am not lying; I am not incorrect.

The Awesome Soundset apparently needs some fixing, and if it gets fixed soon, that's fantastic! I agree that Smeagolheart shouldn't be blaming Modmerge. The content that is being extracted from the SoD zip is having issues with how the Awesome Soundset is installed. But the introduction and installation of that program to my BGEE main directory does result in Awesome Soundsets not being installed. That is simply what I'm trying to get across.

If you really want to continue a Modmerge conversation like this, PM me, as I don't want to derail this thread. If you do find anymore relevant information on how to fix the Awesome Soundset issue, please feel free to post back here, as will I if I find any possible ideas or solutions to the problem.
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @Thels @Swifty_Magee

I do not have Dragonspear yet. I've been waiting to see how it's reviewed and for when I have free time. It's been tough to tell quality from reviews so far.

Anyway, as I said before it does work on my 2.0 Beamdog versions of the EE games.

I do not know how SOD is set up and different than this. The zipping feature of steam (and GOG?) versions are a level of complexity. Modmerge is described as a temporary solution. Hopefully at some point the files aren't zipped like that or I guess weidu will have to adjust because Weidu is the standard for infinity engine gaming and if anything is to come up with a long term solution for mod issues it's Weidu. If the files are going to remain zipped I have no doubt Weidu will take this into account and find an appropriate solution.

Have patience in the meantime, Siege was just released and we're all digesting the changes. Adjustments will be made in the coming days as needed.

lolien
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @smeagolheart: The zipping and the modmerge tool itself is not something you need to worry about. If you worry about keeping your mod compatible with Beamdog BGEE+SoD, then Steam/GoG users can be compatible, simply by running the modmerge tool before running any of their Weidu mods.

What currently breaks the install on SoD clients is CHARSND.2da, which is different for SoD than for regular BGEE.
    Understood. I might need to mention this the weidu development subforum over in gibberlings3 forums.

I'm not sure when I'll get dragonspear and a chance to test things.

I'll also take a look at the code and see how I can adjust. Due to differences in the 2da, there will have to be a check to see if the installed game is dragonspear. As of now, the supported games are BGee, BG2ee and IWDee.
    edited April 2016
    Minor update to my last pack, now at version 2.1.1; fixed a soundset that wasn't installing.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/qh5ncloqvtpcxiq/Swifty Magee's Soundsets 2.1.1.7z?dl=0
    smeagolheartlolienJuliusBorisov
    Looking at Weidu documentation the next release seems like it will have 'GAME_IS sod' which will be useful in getting mod compatibility for Siege for these. Not sure when that will be released but I'll keep checking.
    Swifty_Mageelolien
    edited April 2016
    I'm done some testing and it seems like custom soundsets have been bugged in the latest patch. I opened a new redmine issue for the problem.

http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/22699

Here's what I'm seeing:
    --------------------------------------
    1. Copy all thirteen \00766\lang\en_US\sounds\Male6x.wav files and rename them Gale6x.wav

2. Start BGEE, create a new character, Select Gale6 as the voiceset.

3. Selection sounds and most other sounds (bored, tired etc) do not work. Only action acknowledgement sounds fire.

Expected: same voice sound results as male6 soundset.
    --------------------------------------

I see that others have seen the same here:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/749211
    lolienSwifty_MageeJuliusBorisovBaptor
    edited April 2016
    @smeagolheart
    There was a thread on the forums that was created recently about this issue (a thread different than the one you linked to). I think a possible solution was to rename your soundsets as "CustomNumber" and drop them in a "sounds" folder; naming them "Custom1", "Custom2", "Custom3" and the like - up to "Custom9" - may work until a more permanent solution comes about. I haven't tested it myself, but I remember reading a user said it worked, and that after he renamed his soundset to "Custom1", all the sound clips played appropriately.

The best way to add soundsets and subtitles is still through the Awesome Soundset, but until the mod becomes compatible with Siege of Dragonspear fully, this is at least some method of adding in soundsets. Hopefully, Beamdog gets a permanent fix to all of this soon.

EDIT: Here's the thread I was talking about: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/51977/problem-with-custom-voicesets
  • LadonLadon Member Posts: 17
    I want to assign a soundset to a modded NPC that don't have one. Just the usual selection voices.

How can I do that ?
    Ladon said:

I want to assign a soundset to a modded NPC that don't have one. Just the usual selection voices.

How can I do that ?

You'd use near infinity or weidu if making a mod to distribute.

In NI you'd pull up the actor and there's a place where you modify in things like that.
    Swifty_Mageelolien
  • LadonLadon Member Posts: 17
    Ok it seems easy enough, looks like I have to dump the sounds in .wav format in the Override folder and use Near Infinity to edit the cre file that is used. There are simple fields for that.

Thanks, will report back if I am not successful.
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    heysies, i'm actually looking to find the new Commanding Voice Set from SOD to put into BGII:EE, mainly for simple continuity, i like the voice, it suits my characters very well, so i was hoping someone witht he skills could do this ^w^;
    Sereverus said:

heysies, i'm actually looking to find the new Commanding Voice Set from SOD to put into BGII:EE, mainly for simple continuity, i like the voice, it suits my characters very well, so i was hoping someone witht he skills could do this ^w^;

I would think that Beamdawg would be patching that in themselves at some point. I think my mod could easily do that - assuming custom voicesets aren't broken like they are in BGEE.
    Sereveruslolien
  • SereverusSereverus Member Posts: 70
    well i hope they'll add it to the game eventually, but for now since i see no issues really, it should be ok to import it in as a custom set, SoD doesn't do much to change BGII:EE, so i'm hoping it would be functional.
    lolien
    custom soundsets are still not working in 2.1 patch released today.
    Swifty_MageelolienXKalJuliusBorisov
    edited April 2016
    Uploading a new update to my soundset pack, now at version 2.2.1.

Since we're all waiting for either a new game patch or a WeiDU update to make the Awesome Soundset mod more compatible in a post Siege of Dragonspear world, I figure instead of adding new soundsets I'd do something a bit different.

Starting with version 2.2, my soundset pack will now include optional character portraits. Each portrait represents a soundset I've included in the pack, and I've tried to have at least two full portraits (one large pic, one medium pic) per soundset. Which was a bit difficult with some characters...one of the portraits for the Diablo 1 Sorcerer is a D&D version of Ultimate Nick Fury (Sam Jackson with an eye patch). And I just grabbed two Diablo 3 Monk pics for the Diablo 1 Monk soundset as I couldn't find any good D1 Hellfire Monk examples. They're great looking D3 Monk pictures, though.

To use the portraits, just extract the included "portraits" folder found inside the zip to your game's portraits folder, usually located in your Documents folder. All portraits in the pack are edited for Icewind Dale EE, but should be usable for Baldur's Gate 1&2 EE without needing any major adjustments. Right now, to use the medium pics in BGEE 1&2, you need to change the "M"'s at the end of the file names to "S"'s...at least I do. That may change with future game patches, though.

Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/99hrwvya2xqd8hg/Swifty Magee's Soundsets 2.2.1.7z?dl=0

I've also just updated my IWDEE Portrait Pack: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/762180/#Comment_762180. Any new versions of the portrait pack will be uploaded in that thread. Just look for my latest post.
    Post edited by Swifty_Magee on
    smeagolheartlolienJuliusBorisov
    @smeagolheart , I just found out that a new version of WeiDU is out now that offers support for Siege of Dragonspear. It's in beta right now, but it may be in a stable enough condition for the Awesome Soundset mod.
    Well, at least I now know it's not a WeiDU-fixable issue. Not the best news, but hopefully when the soundset issue gets fixed in a future patch by Beamdog, we know that WeiDU will be ready for it.

I actually saw your redmine issue last week. I think the "Submitted" status means that the issue has passed a verification state (maybe identified and replicated by a tester or designer ) and attempts to fix the issue will be found. Let's hope that a solution will come with the next patch...and let's hope that patch isn't months away.

In the meantime, maybe I'll work on some new soundsets for my pack. After all, the Awesome Soundset still works great on IWDEE.
    lolien
    edited April 2016

Well, at least I now know it's not a WeiDU-fixable issue. Not the best news, but hopefully when the soundset issue gets fixed in a future patch by Beamdog, we know that WeiDU will be ready for it.

I actually saw your redmine issue last week. I think the "Submitted" status means that the issue has passed a verification state (maybe identified and replicated by a tester or designer ) and attempts to fix the issue will be found. Let's hope that a solution will come with the next patch...and let's hope that patch isn't months away.

In the meantime, maybe I'll work on some new soundsets for my pack. After all, the Awesome Soundset still works great on IWDEE.

IWDEE and BG2EE I believe are both still working. We may be able to play EET which will let us play BG1 in BG2 before BG1EE is patched.
    lolienJuliusBorisov
  • UnpersonUnperson Member Posts: 29
    edited April 2016

That simple renaming thing doesn't work and it's the exact same files (just renamed) as a working soundset. I can think of no reason when the exact same set of sounds works fine but if you change one letter to make a new soundset, it doesn't play the sounds. I also tried directly coping sound files to the ..\00766\lang\en_US\sounds folder and selecting that soundset in game same deal - limited sounds. What's crazy is they seem to work fine in the character selection page you can click play, it will play them but in game no sounds.

I don't know if this is exactly the behavior you're encountering, but I got custom sound files to play... somewhat. I followed the instructions found earlier in this thread and the other one: renaming them to "custom#*" and dumping them in lang/en_US/sounds. Selection sounds play fine ingame, as do acknowledgments, battle cries, etc. Tried this with the "Riddick" and "Oghren" soundsets from this thread.

Problem is the selection of sounds that are played seems to be limited to what is outlined in the sndlist.txt file, i.e. no spell failure, no hiding in shadows, pickpocketing etc.

Here's hoping they identify the issue and fix it soon.
    smeagolheart
    Hmmm... there are like 8 "custom" entries in charsnd.2da. That would allow only up to that number of custom soundsets. Instead of renaming your files "custom", call it something else and you should see the results I was describing.

My iwd soundset pack, for example, has 40 voicesets, I don't want to limit it to only 8. It shouldn't be limited to 8. I can modify the installer to only allow 8 voicesets but that would add needless complexity. If you installed two packs, it would have to uninstall the first and refuse to install more than 8. I don't think it's worth working around this bug.

BG2EE and IWDEE you can add unlimited additional soundsets and you used to could do the same in BGEE before SOD and the engine changes that came with it.
    lolien
    edited April 2016
    Unperson said:

Problem is the selection of sounds that are played seems to be limited to what is outlined in the sndlist.txt file, i.e. no spell failure, no hiding in shadows, pickpocketing etc.

That has been the case in previous patches as well. Vanilla BG1 had a very limited amount of sounds in player soundsets that you can pick. Despite the updated engine of BGEE they have limited the available sounds on custom soundsets as well in BGEE. Actually there are a couple of sounds which can fire but no subtitles play I think like the in city reaction sound. In my mods I have an excel spreadsheet that listed the differences between IWDEE, BG2EE, BGEE soundsets. I had even programmed the installer to account for the different game so your experience with a voicesets could be slightly different depending on the game it is installed on. It would be nice if some day they were all the same.

lolienUnperson
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Is this mod working for SoD 2.x now?

No due to the engine bug.

Here's the ticket I have open for it
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/projects/bg-sod-bugs/roadmap
    lolienrapsam2003JuliusBorisov

No due to the engine bug.

Here's the ticket I have open for it
    http://redmine.beamdog.com/projects/bg-sod-bugs/roadmap
    Cool. Thanks.
    lolien
    @rapsam2003
    whoops that link was the roadmap, here's the actual issue directly

A temporary workaround for this bug would be to rename a set of sounds to CUSTOM1x I guess it works but you wouldn't get subtitles.

Hope this is fixed soon...
    lolien

@rapsam2003
    whoops that link was the roadmap, here's the actual issue directly

A temporary workaround for this bug would be to rename a set of sounds to CUSTOM1x I guess it works but you wouldn't get subtitles.

Hope this is fixed soon...

I just want custom voice sets for my characters. All of my voice set mods broke with 2.x. lol
    smeagolheart