Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    I would be VERY interested in an iwd2:ee, it is the first ie game I played and is very nostalgic for me. I think it is quite superiour to iwd1, in all aspects too, but I know I am in the minority.

I am partial to pst:ee, on one hand, the original did not sell as well as bg or iwd, so it may be a risky venture, financially. I could not bring myself to finish it, either.

But ofcourse I would buy anything d&d or rpg related produced by beamdog at this point.
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisovVarwulfGrammarsalad
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    edited May 2016

I'm with you @Legendary I think 5e is the best interpretation of D&D rules out to date. I started on AD&D as well (and went backwards and played earlier iterations with friends who had the box sets and books) and 3.5/Pathfinder were great but combat still took forever among other, more minor quibbles. 4e was an absolute trainwreck, probably the worst edition of D&D by far, and I thought 3.5 was always going to stand as the best version they put out, but 5e somehow manages to capture that 1st-2nd ed feel with all the lessons of 3rd and 4th (what to do and not to do, respectively), and it plays so smooth, combat is quick and fun and as you say there is a lot of flexibility built in (and it's easier than ever to add your own customized options to add your own level of flexibility to it IMHO).

And I hope Beamdog branches out from FR eventually, but at the same time I also do want to see them tackle locations outside of the Sword Coast on Abeir-Toril as well as BG3 hopefully being set around Baldur's Gate itself in the 5e post-Sundering timeline. Especially since Minsc and Boo are still around due to flesh to stone in the 2e era and wild magic surge flesh to stone restoring him in the 5e era! I really want to stomp around Baldur's Gate with Minsc and Boo again!

Still, i'm quite dissapointed with the poor alignment description in the Player Handbook and the ''no official translations'' thing.
    But i prefer a new game, where you can visit a few cities from baldurs to nwn with a lot in the middle, call it Faerun if you will

Or a new place like Dragonlance or Darksun

I have a few ideas for D&D videogames:

-The Burning Dark Sun.

-Wrath of Vecna.

-Tiamat's Cataclysm.

-Mists of Kara-Tur.

-Darklords of Ravenloft(hopefully with no garrisons).

Post edited by ShapiroKeatsDarkMage on
    GenderNihilismGirdleJuliusBorisov
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Keep Builder and Keep Raider piqued my interest right quick.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    How about re-imagining one of the really old RPGs? Dungeon Master, Albion (!!) or old Eye of the Beholders... ?
    Southpaw said:

How about re-imagining one of the really old RPGs? Dungeon Master, Albion (!!) or old Eye of the Beholders... ?

re: Eye of the Beholder, If Beamdog could churn out something to top Legend of Grimrock at its own game, I'd want them to try their hand at it, otherwise I'd rather have Almost Human tackle EotB remakes.
  • SouthpawSouthpaw Member Posts: 2,026
    @GenderNihilismGirdle - you're right. Legend of Grimrock was surprisingly well done.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17

I have a few ideas for D&D videogames:

-The Burning Dark Sun.

-Wrath of Vecna.

-Tiamat's Cataclysm.

-Mists of Kara-Tur.

-Darklords of Ravenloft(hopefully with no garrisons).

Bro good stuff, Kara-Tur will so good, a good rpg like bg2 but with the culture of samurais and ninjas, that is the dream

And Ravenloft with really good rpg choices if not darkness will get you

Also i would love some World of Darkness or something even crazy like Mutants Chronicles, but i the real dream is Middle-Earth game, this setting is use for the movies in so many ways but never in the right way for me.

First it have to be new, not base in books and Second it have to be rpg (like bg2), not tactical or strategy, with something like that it will be awesome

• deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    so what is:

m _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ s.com 2015-04-24 GO DADDY SOFTWARE INC

It was created recently and still has that mysterious air around it.
  • LoreLore Member Posts: 114
    edited May 2016
    Southpaw said:

Albion was a damn good game in a huuuuge semi open world, and sci fi to boot. It was amazing. I would buy a reboot of that in a heartbeat.
    GenderNihilismGirdle
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited May 2016
    bengoshi said:

Trent Oster, Tom Rhodes and Andrew Foley will be at GDXEdmonton this weekend.

http://www.gdxedmonton.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/05/GDX-2016-Simple-Program-v.19.pdf

Go and ask them that question :)

If anyone does randomly decide to head to GDX it would be a good idea to book a hotel first. :(

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/wildfire-rages-in-fort-mcmurray-as-evacuees-settle-in-edmonton-1.3565573
    JuliusBorisovGenderNihilismGirdle
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    elminster said:
    Condolences to all those in Fort McMurray. What a catastrophe!

On topic: if compared to April, 30, the official Beamdog site no longer lists any vacant career opportunities:

https://www.beamdog.com/jobs
    http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:r6gqs-aFVYsJ:www.beamdog.com/jobs+&cd=1&hl=ru&ct=clnk&gl=bg

It means they have got their Quality Assurance Lead ;)
    mlneveseGenderNihilismGirdlelolien
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    The pun thread is that way --->
    JuliusBorisov
    Vallmyr said:

Legendary said:

I would adore a new BG-style game using fifth edition rules. As someone who's been playing tabletops his whole life (D&D since AD&D and Shadowrun since Third Edition) I think I'd go as far as to say 5th is my favorite edition of D&D up there with Pathfinder. The way opens characters up is just far superior to previous editions. I can finally play my noble, dueling, rapier wielding dex Paladin without getting 'creative' with builds since Paladins can take the duelist path. It's the same with every class. Most have two separate branching paths to choose from, like an oath and a combat style. That really helps do away with a lot of the samey builds you came across in older games.

Just please keep it in the Forgotten Realms universe. This world, this realm is my baby. I even own all the source books for it.

Oh geeze, while I love 3.5/Pathfinder some character ideas where do-able but required intense knowledge of the rules. Want a Bard that can cast druid spells like the 1e Bard? Rogue 2/Druid 2/Bard 1/Green Whisperer 5/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. Requires Core, Dragon Magazing #311, and Complete Adventurer. Add Advanced Race Guide from Pathfinder, Ultimate Intrigue, and Ultimate Magic and you can get a crazy good build like

Kitsune Trickster Rogue 2/Feyspeaker Druid 2/Animal Speaker Bard 1/Green Whisperer 5/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. All your spellcasting scales with Charisma since Feyspeaker Druids use Charisma as their casting stat.

Or say you want to make a Cleric/Wizard Necromancer.

Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice Feat)/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2/True Necromancer 14.
    Good but requires a lot of supplement material to work.

In 5e you can create these crazy builds with just core.

You could go a Bard/Druid build or just be a Lore Bard that chooses Druid spells as his expanded spell list options.

Wizard 6/Cleirc 14 is a super cool Necromancer.

What use to require a bunch of suppliment material to work now only requires multiclassing or picking an archetype.

A 5e CRPG along the lines of NWN2 would be my favorite thing ever.
    Vallmyr said:

Legendary said:

I would adore a new BG-style game using fifth edition rules. As someone who's been playing tabletops his whole life (D&D since AD&D and Shadowrun since Third Edition) I think I'd go as far as to say 5th is my favorite edition of D&D up there with Pathfinder. The way opens characters up is just far superior to previous editions. I can finally play my noble, dueling, rapier wielding dex Paladin without getting 'creative' with builds since Paladins can take the duelist path. It's the same with every class. Most have two separate branching paths to choose from, like an oath and a combat style. That really helps do away with a lot of the samey builds you came across in older games.

Just please keep it in the Forgotten Realms universe. This world, this realm is my baby. I even own all the source books for it.

Oh geeze, while I love 3.5/Pathfinder some character ideas where do-able but required intense knowledge of the rules. Want a Bard that can cast druid spells like the 1e Bard? Rogue 2/Druid 2/Bard 1/Green Whisperer 5/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. Requires Core, Dragon Magazing #311, and Complete Adventurer. Add Advanced Race Guide from Pathfinder, Ultimate Intrigue, and Ultimate Magic and you can get a crazy good build like

Kitsune Trickster Rogue 2/Feyspeaker Druid 2/Animal Speaker Bard 1/Green Whisperer 5/Fochlucan Lyrist 10. All your spellcasting scales with Charisma since Feyspeaker Druids use Charisma as their casting stat.

Or say you want to make a Cleric/Wizard Necromancer.

Wizard 1 (Precocious Apprentice Feat)/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 2/True Necromancer 14.
    Good but requires a lot of supplement material to work.

In 5e you can create these crazy builds with just core.

You could go a Bard/Druid build or just be a Lore Bard that chooses Druid spells as his expanded spell list options.

Wizard 6/Cleirc 14 is a super cool Necromancer.

What use to require a bunch of suppliment material to work now only requires multiclassing or picking an archetype.

A 5e CRPG along the lines of NWN2 would be my favorite thing ever.

I also like the ecclectic race selection of 5e so far, including the undead revenant for those who want to play a character like The Crow.
    sparkleavGenderNihilismGirdle
    Still, i don't know if they fixed the lore screw ups they did in 4th ed. like turning archons into chaotic evil elementals.
    Sigil is mentioned in the DMG which is a plus considering in the pre-release press they said that Planescape's lore was a stupid and needless simmetry.
    edited May 2016

Still, i don't know if they fixed the lore screw ups they did in 4th ed. like turning archons into chaotic evil elementals.
    Sigil is mentioned in the DMG which is a plus considering in the pre-release press they said that Planescape's lore was a stupid and needless simmetry.

They have Planescape's lore, right down to modron artwork in the DMG, so I guess their pre-release press would think the 5e DMG has stupid and needless symmetry.

But yeah, they did fix the lore screwups, the planes are back to how they were, nations in the Realms like Halruua have returned, nearly every deity (if not every deity) killed during or after the Spellplague is back (and also some who were dead from before that, including Bhaal and Myrkul), and the post-Sundering Realms is shaping up to be really awesome so far.

They even corrected the 5e PHB Tieflings being all one unified look/mechanics in the Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide Tiefling sidebar, giving players some options for descent from different evil outsiders, 5e is making a bunch of right decisions that correct even its own few missteps as it goes on, I'm very impressed with it on both the FR fluff and 5e crunch level.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage