Skip to content

[MOD] - Portrait Picker for BGEE+SOD and BG2EE (v2.1+)

Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
edited June 2016 in UI Modding
So... I finally got around to finishing a few things off with the Portrait Picker. And here's the first official launch!

Manual fix for v2.3:

BG1EE+SOD (non-scaled) and BG2EE = For v2.3 of the games you will need to make one slight amendment to ensure compatibility. After installing as per the instructions - go in to the UI.menu file in a text editor and search for 'rectangle 5' ... there should be only one instance in the whole file. Change this to 'rectangle 6'.

Screenshots:

Thanks to everyone that's helped me along the way! I really appreciate it.

Features:

- For v2.1+ of BGEE+SOD and BG2EE
- Updated Interface
- Supports scaled/non-scaled interface
- Supports French, Czech, German, Italian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese and English
- Ability to give descriptions to all default portraits
- Ability to give descriptions and genders to all custom portraits
- Filters portraits by Male & Female
- Ability to make portraits appear in both Male/Female lists
- Ability to exclude portraits
- Four sorting options: Default > Custom, Custom > Default, Alphabetical and Reverse Alphabetical
- Powerful searching: Two filters supporting simultaneous AND filtering and toggles to turn them individually into NOT filters (eg search for Mage AND elf, or search for NOT Dwarf AND NOT Cleric)
- Automatic registration of portraits available via WEIDU installer
- Large / Medium portrait management to allow different portraits to appear in the character screen vs sidebar
- Comprehensive Instructions with pictures for installation
- Coming soon: a graphical interface for creating and editing the M_BG.lua

To make the most of the portrait picker you will need to edit the M_BG.lua and M_nicks.lua files manually with descriptions. This does not need to be done straight away.

If there are any questions, suggestions, or problems, please let me know!

To Install: Just download Portrait Picker v1 .zip and follow the instructions.
Post edited by Mr2150 on
JuliusBorisovlolienAedanmf2112elminsterlefreutSids1188RavenslightIllustairKamigoroshikaguanaNasherPeccaaxellsladeHurricaneAdulinethMirandelNubad

Comments

• AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @TrentOster
    I am sure you do not want to miss this gem :)
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    I would like to see too
    Mr2150Aedanmf2112JuliusBorisov
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    Just a quick update here, based on some feedback I've made a couple of additions:

1) It now filters on Gender selected during character creation automatically. This filter is only applied during the character creation phase (just in case you decide to change gender later).

2) As you can see from Aedan's pictures, I moved the filter to the bottom and added a second filter which works in tandem with the first... eg you can search for Elf at the top and Mage at the bottom and you will retrieve all descriptions with both "Elf" and "Mage" in them.

Ideally I'd like a couple more volunteers to give it a go, so I appreciate any support you can give.

Thanks in advance,
    - mr2150
    JuliusBorisov
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    Mr2150
  • Sids1188Sids1188 Member Posts: 165
    That looks fantastic! One of the bigger problems with the update for me is sorting through lots of portraits. I'm probably not technically savvy enough to be of much use as a tester (unless you want to make sure it's fully idiotproof) but will definitely be keeping an eye out for updates.
    Mr2150JuliusBorisov
    @lefreut Hey - that's fine - and that would be great.

There isn't a specific number needed for the mod, I just wanted to put it through it's paces and stretch things (eg try to break it) and a larger volume is easier for that. Consider yourself signed-up however!

@Sids1188 - Also, not a problem - I wrote some instructions for setting it all up yesterday as I went through the process with @Aedan and so it would be a good opportunity to try them out.

BOTH - I will message you shortly with all the details!

Everyone, I think I have enough testers now - so thanks! Watch this space ...
    JuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited May 2016
    Looks great!
    By the way, which portrait packs are you guys using? Those are looking very smart (especially random man and random woman).
    Mr2150
    Believe it or not, I don't use custom portraits however @Pecca @Aedan @smeagolheart may be able to advise.
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    There is a thread with a lot of custom portraits: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/41704/custom-pc-npc-portraits/p1
    Mr2150JuliusBorisov
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    lroumen said:

Those are looking very smart (especially random man and random woman).

@Isandir is the artist that drew those portraits.
    http://www.shsforums.net/files/file/1091-isandirs-portrait-pack/
    Mr2150jackjack
    Thanks. I'll look at it
    smeagolheart
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    Mr2150AedanJuliusBorisovjackjack
    Great...

I'm guessing the instructions worked ok, and you could follow them ok @lefreut ?

Please message me any feedback or suggestions!
    smeagolheartJuliusBorisov
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    First this look amazing I do hope Beamdog will implant something like that or this mod, so @Dee look what gem there is here.

@lefreut you got some really nice portraits there, mind sharing with us over here
    Mr2150IllustairJuliusBorisov
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    kaguana said:

First this look amazing I do hope Beamdog will implant something like that or this mod, so @Dee look what gem there is here.

@lefreut you got some really nice portraits there, mind sharing with us over here

Dee already beat you to it :)
    kaguanaJuliusBorisov
    edited May 2016
    Another little update - I'm still tweaking the look and feel, but now I added the ability to give descriptions to existing portraits too, this helps with searching and filtering.

It's completely customisable so you can call the existing portraits whatever nickname you want...

Post edited by Mr2150 on
    kaguanaJuliusBorisovmf2112elminster
  • ccunning1ccunning1 Member Posts: 18
    If it helps here are my portraits, I got tons of 'em

https://mega.nz/#!3AhkXAhB!obaOQS9ndHobJBAcyfB1anqMBLk3Tqh1xaq3JANOT-k
    Mr2150
    Thanks @ccunning1 - I have enough too, now ... as you can see from the screenshot, I'm currently managing 180 portraits in the mod...
    I love the searchability you added with this mod, but I think I prefer aesthetically the multi portrait mod with the matrix approach.

I was wondering what your thoughts are on merging them. Multiple layouts with similar functionality would be interesting. Open question really. Probably I would do that myself. Could just be a case of an if-else incorporation around both ui codes where ingame we can set the toggle button to switch between the layouts. Thinking out loud here. Perhaps that allows for even more ui layouts in the future.
    mf2112
    edited May 2016
    @Iroumen - I'll have a chat with @BillyYank as I agree that the aesthetics of his solution are nicer... the gallery approach does have a better visual impact.

From his code I can see that the way he grabs the portraits is quite different from mine (his uses the existing code to display the matrix - mine builds a new table which you can filter against) and whilst there can easily be a toggle to switch between the solutions either/or, a blended approach would ultimately be better - the search and filter functionality of mine, with the layout of his...

I'm sure that such a solution must ultimately be possible though...
    Post edited by Mr2150 on
    JuliusBorisovkaguanalroumenmf2112
    Merging was my initial idea as well but some people may prefer your solution too. If maybe the filter is available for both ui layouts then you're done too.
    edited May 2016
    I guess it's probably best to check with @BillyYank to see if he can and/or plans to add sorting/filtering to his... I've looked at displaying the portraits in an array like his, and with my current knowledge I'm not sure how to do it (it's not simply a case of replicating his code as they fundamentally display the portraits differently).

However, as he builds the array of portraits in each page, it might be possible to apply a filter at that stage thus giving the ultimate result... (I've sent him the details of how my filters works currently and a few suggestions of how it might be done).
    It's not the other way around? Build an array for everything, then filter and display the reduced set?
    edited May 2016
    As I understand it - Billy creates a page of portraits at a time from all portraits. So it would need to be filtered at the page level. My solution follows your logic and only displays the filtered results.
    Ah right :)