Skip to content

Chatty Imoen

AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
edited September 2022 in BG:EE Mods

Chatty Imoen

A Baldur's Gate mod by AstroBryGuy

Introduction

In the original Baldur's Gate, Imoen was a late addition to the game. Unfortunately, this means that she has no banter dialogs or interactions with other NPCs. Her voice set was also limited. This mod expands Imoen's voice set and adds interaction banters with other NPCs. It also has a component to change Imoen's portrait to one of three choices: BG1, SoD, or BG2.

Download at the GitHub: https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/ChattyImoen/releases/latest

Components

Chatty Imoen: Expanded Character Sounds

This components expands Imoen's character sounds using lines from BG2 and the BGEE tutorial. Some of her original BG1 sounds are also repurposed for interactions with other NPCs.

If you have kicked Imoen out of the party, she gets a voiced line when you start a conversation with her to rejoin the party.

Chatty Imoen: Add NPC Interactions

This component adds Imoen to the INTERACT.2DA file, which controls the "non-dialog" banters that BG1 NPCs have. This component requires the Expanded Character Sounds component, otherwise Imoen will have nothing to say.

Also, this component gives Imoen a specific reaction to Garrick's death (no other NPC has one).

Chatty Imoen: Imoen Portrait Replacements

If you want Imoen to have a consistent portrait through BGEE and SoD, you can use this component to make all her character files use the same portrait. The options are:
  • Give Imoen her BG1 Portrait
  • Give Imoen her SoD Portrait
  • Give Imoen her BG2 Portrait

Supported Games

Chatty Imoen currently supports BG1, Tutu, BGT, BGEE, and EET.

Installation

Note: You will need to start a new game. The Imoen character files in any previously saved games will NOT be affected.

Windows

If the mod was previously installed, uninstall it before extracting the new version. Chatty Imoen is packaged and installed with WeiDU. To install, extract the mod archive, then copy of the contents of the archive into your game folder (the folder which contains the chitin.key file). If properly extracted, you should have a "chattyimoen" folder and setup-chattyimoen.exe in your game folder. To install, simply double-click setup-chattyimoen.exe and follow the instructions on screen.

Please run setup-chattyimoen.exe in your game folder to reinstall, uninstall or otherwise change components.

Mac OS X

If the mod was previously installed, uninstall it before extracting the new version. Chatty Imoen is packaged and installed with WeiDU. To install, extract the mod archive, then copy of the contents of the folder "OSX-chattyimoen-v1" into your game folder (the folder which contains the chitin.key file). If properly extracted, you should have a "chattyimoen" folder, setup-chattyimoen, and setup-chattyimoen.command in your game folder. To install, simply double-click setup-chattyimoen.command and follow the instructions on screen.

Please run setup-chattyimoen.command in your game folder to reinstall, uninstall or otherwise change components.

Contact Information

Comments and bug reports can be directed to this thread. If the thread is inaccessible, you can contact AstroBryGuy (https://forums.beamdog.com/profile/AstroBryGuy) on the Beamdog forums.

Version History

v1.3 - May 6, 2017
  • Added French, German, and Polish translations
  • Added .tra template and sourcefile list for expanded character sounds
  • Added BGT and EET compatibility
v1.2 - May 30, 2016
  • Fixed issue with blanking Imoen's biography
v1.1 - May 14, 2016
  • Added Italian translation - Thanks @Aedan!
  • Added compatibility with BG1, TotSC, and Tutu.
v1.0 - April 6, 2016
  • Initial upload
Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
elminsterALIENAedanronaldoPeccaSssiksseilorPermidion_StarkRodrianlolienkaguanatoolarglunarJuliusBorisovNildarCaradochook71Illustairthelovebatrede9BlackravenSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

• ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Would you recommend installing this before or after NPC Project, or would installing both be redundant?
    AstroBryGuy
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    edited April 2016
    Either. This mod doesn't affect the type of banters that BG1NPC adds, and BG1NPC doesn't add non-dialogue banters for Imoen.

The banters this mod adds are the "running interactions" that the NPCs have with each other. An example of this type of interaction is when Jaheira says to Xzar "You are amusing in a 'what the hell is wrong with you?' kind of way." and he responds "I'll not be mocked, thou most slanderous harlot!"

Using the Chatty Imoen portrait component and the BG1NPC one for Imoen would be redundant.
    Post edited by AstroBryGuy on
    lolienJuliusBorisovFina92
  • AWizardDidItAWizardDidIt Member Posts: 197
    Oh awesome. Imoen's my fav so always glad to see more content cooked up for her
    AstroBryGuy
  • BillyH666BillyH666 Member Posts: 96
    Woohoo! I always hated playing Baldur's Gate and not having banter (I started with BG2 and got spoiled on it) this will be a welcome addition to the Banter Pack, all banter is good banter (even when it's bad banter coincidently.) On that note, are you still planning on doing that Jaheira SoD mod?
    @BillyH666 - Thanks! Keep in mind that this just adds the Imoen to the non-dialog banters that NPCs have in BG1. If you want more dialog-style banters like in BG2, install BG1NPC.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/39422/bg1npc-v22-2-and-bg1npc-music-pack-v6

Note: Install this version on BGEEv2 (hotfix for Coran's Wyvern Quest): https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/BG1NPC/archive/master.zip

Also, yes, I'll be tackling the Jaheira SoD mod next. I discovered last night that she has two dialog files in SoD, each with ~100 dialog states (I had assumed one was small, like a BG1 P-dialog). So my number of dialog states to check for voiced lines doubled. :tongue:
    kaguanalolien
  • BillyH666BillyH666 Member Posts: 96
    Great to hear! And thank you for the mod links.
    AstroBryGuy
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @AstroBryGuy

Thanks for this. You may be my favourite person in the whole world ever for doing this. The world has been waiting for a chatty Imoen (at least the small part of the world I occupy has).
    AstroBryGuy
    @AstroBryGuy

I was wondering if you had any plans to make Chatty Imoen available for original BG1? Sometimes, when I am feeling nostalgic, I like to play old school and it would be great to have Chatty Imoen available for that too.
    lolien
  • lolienlolien Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,108
    Thanks @AstroBryGuy . You are a gentlewizard.
    kaguanaJuliusBorisov
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Thank you for this mod, Sound good to have more of Imoen when I take her with me.
    JuliusBorisov
    edited April 2016

@AstroBryGuy

I was wondering if you had any plans to make Chatty Imoen available for original BG1? Sometimes, when I am feeling nostalgic, I like to play old school and it would be great to have Chatty Imoen available for that too.

I can make it available for BG1 and Tutu fairly easily. I'm not sure what BGT renames Imoen's BG1 sound files.

Making it initially for BGEE was largely out of laziness on my part. :smile:
    lolienPermidion_Stark
    edited April 2016
    I wouldn't call it lazy. I'm impressed by anyone who takes the time to make a mod that others can use. Thanks again. I really appreciate it.
    Post edited by Permidion_Stark on
    lolien
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    Hello :)
    Attached the Italian translation. Can you please add it?
    lolienJuliusBorisovAstroBryGuy
    @Aedan - Thanks! Are the voiced lines still in English in the Italian translation for BGEE (i.e., Italian text with Melissa Disney's VO in English)? I'd be happy to include Italian VO, if it is available. I meant to post a guide of the sources for the "new" lines (i.e., either from BG2 or the BGEE tutorial); I'll get it up ASAP.
    Aedan
    edited April 2016
    Yes - Italian text with English VO. Unfortunately, BG has never been dubbed in Italian. Just BG2 got the dubbing.

Thank you very much for all the mods you released. We do appreciate the efforts, the time and the energy you dedicate to famous mods like BG1 NPC Project or UB. You are our hero :)
    Post edited by Aedan on
    AstroBryGuyNildar
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Can I load this on my current game with Imoen in my party or would it require starting over?
    @smeagolheart
    From the OP:

Note: You will need to start a new game. The Imoen character files in any previously saved games will NOT be affected.

smeagolheartAstroBryGuylolien
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    I've tried to install it on GoG's v2.1.63.2 but nothing happens, I've started multiple games and Imoen never comments on anything that she should (like Gorion's death or the diamond in the treetrunk).

I've tried both alone and in combination with the Big World Setup.
    Other v2-compatible mods seem to work correctly so it must have been broken in the v2->v2.1 update somehow.
    @Feilakas
    This mod does not add new dialogues and interjections. It expands Imoen's soundset. From the OP:

Chatty Imoen: Expanded Character Sounds
    This components expands Imoen's character sounds using lines from BG2 and the BGEE tutorial. Some of her original BG1 sounds are also repurposed for interactions with other NPCs.

AstroBryGuy
    Feilakas said:

I've tried to install it on GoG's v2.1.63.2 but nothing happens, I've started multiple games and Imoen never comments on anything that she should (like Gorion's death or the diamond in the treetrunk).

I've tried both alone and in combination with the Big World Setup.
    Other v2-compatible mods seem to work correctly so it must have been broken in the v2->v2.1 update somehow.

You are thinking of the content added by BG1NPC. Chatty Imoen gives Imoen an expanded character soundest, as @Aedan noted. It also adds non-dialog banters (the running comments NPCs make to each other in BG1) for Imoen. No interjections or specific reactions to events are added.
  • FeilakasFeilakas Member Posts: 49
    You might be right, last time I installed it it was together with BG1NPC so it is very possible I mistook one mod's effects for anothers'
    lolienAstroBryGuy
    New version released! (but I can't edit the OP due to the security certificate snafu currently going on)

https://github.com/AstroBryGuy/ChattyImoen/releases/tag/v1.1

v1.1 - May 14, 2016
    * Added Italian translation - Thanks @Aedan!
    * Added compatibility with BG1, TotSC, and Tutu.
    Aedanlolienhook71
    @AstroBryGuy
    THANK YOU SO MUCH!
    lolien
  • kaguanakaguana Member Posts: 1,328
    Thank you
    lolien
    @Aedan - FYI, I split the main .tra file into two files. That was to specify to HANDLE_CHARSETS that setup.tra (which contains the WeiDU prompts) shouldn't converted to UTF-8. The in-game text is in chattyimoen.tra and is converted.

Also, I tweaked the line that lists the game requirements since I added support for BG1, TotSC, and Tutu. If the following needs adjustment, let me know.

@1 = ~Devi avere installato BG1, TotSC, Tutu, o BG:EE.~
    AedanPermidion_Starklolien
    @AstroBryGuy
    It's fine! Thanks again :)
    AstroBryGuylolien
    That's great news. Thanks for taking the trouble to make it available for BG1 as well. I really appreciate it.
    lolien
  • MLMIIMLMII Member Posts: 2
    Just giving you a heads up, when I install this mod Imoen's bio deletes itself.

My Install Order is;

Mod Merge
    BG1 Mini Quests v13
    BG1 Romantic Encounters 1.3
    BG1 NPC v22
    BG1 NPC Music Pack v6
    BG1 Unfinished Biz 1.4
    Chatty Imoen 1.1

Other than that issue wonderful mod.
    AstroBryGuylolien
    @MLMII - Thanks. Will fix.