Skip to content

v2.2 Update - Release Notes Attached (BG:EE, Siege of Dragonspear, and BGII:EE)

Comments

• CerevantCerevant Member Posts: 2,314
    Shade91 said:

After downloading the new patch my SoD game won't open. When I close down the Beamdog client and reopen it the game says "Preload Complete" and wont do anything else, I've tried uninstalling and re-installing the entire game and it goes right back to the same thing. I'm not running any mods. Wasn't sure where to post this, so I posted here since it only started with the recent update.

@Shade91 Try disabling your antivirus. The Beamdog client will say "Preload Complete" if the game has finished downloading, but there is no .exe file. This can happen if your Antivirus quarantines the game executable.
  • BlackorbBlackorb Member Posts: 62
    Thank you for the patch, good work! :)
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    lansounet said:

nevermind, actually found out the cause. It's that crazy thing where spells do max damage to you if you're fatigued. How the heck is this still in the game?

Because it's a game mechanic.

Is this a thing in pnp? Otherwise it makes no sense and is bug-tier. Especially when resting sometimes still does not reset the fatigue counter properly.
  • SenSayNyuSenSayNyu Member Posts: 20
    Unfortunately the nearest-neighbor scaling filter applies to creature sprites and casting animations, not to the background art sprites. Is there a possibility that this feature will be expanded to all game sprites? I'm sorry, I cannot play BG1 & BG2 with blurred backgrounds. Really appreciate all your hard work.
  • lansounetlansounet Member Posts: 1,182
    @SirBatince I have no idea if it's in PnP but those are the reasons to make you rest (actually negative luck debuff). As for the fatigue not resetting after resting, that actually happens when you rest before the haste effect expires because the fatigue effect is a delayed effect that happens at the the same time the haste expires.
  • PekingduckmanPekingduckman Member Posts: 151
    The Hexxat and bonus portraits are still not selectable in BG2 character creation. I'm amazed that this obvious bug still remain unfixed.
  • LaucianNailorLaucianNailor Member Posts: 22
    So has this been submitted to Apple for the Mac App store as yet? Still sitting on 1.3 and none of the 3 subsequent updates (2.0, 2.1 & 2.2) have even ben submitted as far as has been communicated (i.e. not at all!!)

When will this be submitted for pushing to the store?
  • lum1nlum1n Member Posts: 17
    It's clearly visible on that picture Dee provided, that background is still glitched.
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    Ummm.....what exactly is "Nearest Neighbor Scaling?" <_<
  • PteranPteran Member Posts: 388
    @BelegCuthalion thanks for the detailed reply!
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    edited May 2016
    I know this might be a silly question, but I'm curious: Isn't there a feasible way of actually improving the quality of the sprites? With the super advanced technology available nowadays for picture editing, there must be some program out there capable of doing it, right? I mean, you take the low resolution original and process it with some super advanced algorithm which generates a higher resolution version by interpolating the original lines and colour fillings in a way that is both crispy and smooth. Then you incorporate those highly advanced interpolated sprites into the game, rather than creating low quality interpolations at run time. Does it make sense?

By the way, thank you for the patch. Keep up the good work :)

Edit: Tried to explain it a bit better.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    Th9s is going off topic, but have a look at the section xBR and there xbrz for "super advanced algorithms" as you call it here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_scaling ... that's what can be done, but only with fixed scale factors, nothing in between, so it would have to be pre-rendered, as you propose, like at 4x scale and then be scaled to your actual game zoom factor live again just as it is done now, but now with a improved sprite resolution to start live scaling, giving a better overall result. Adding some decent grain noise to the upscaled sprites would additionally help to fool the eye for more detail.
    Problem may be that we are not talking single sprites but many that add up to an animation and they have to fit each other. If the scaler actually interpret things instead of strictly calculate, there may be glitches that don't matter for a single sprite, but they do in animation. Also, do this is a lot of work for all animations.
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @elminster thank you very much! What Zach posted is exactly what I needed.
  • GreenWarlockGreenWarlock Member Posts: 1,354
    @LaucianNailor there are no plans to submit patches to the Mac App store review until the iOS patches are going through the same process.

I specifically asked in another thread whether the ball-park estimate would be weeks, months, 6 months, or 15+ months (like the BG2EE 1.2 patch) and was informed they are specifically making no estimate to avoid disappointing if they don't hit it. So they do not yet have the confidence to predict delivering within a 15 month time window - I read that as "don't hold your breath".

On the bright side, they do appear intent on delivering to the Mac App store in due course, and we will get the full benefit of all the current issues being worked out, so should jump straight to a much nicer release.

Unless 1.3 is hugely broken for you (works pretty well for me) I think we are defaulting into the better timeline ;) Not having even a hint of a release windows to plan our runs around is a little painful, but nothing we are not used to by now!
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited May 2016
    jackjack said:

@Alonso This has been brought up before. As far as I know, the original art assets were lost, meaning that modernizing the sprites would require the monumental task of recreating every single frame of each one.

Yep, unfortunately too true.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BelegCuthalionBelegCuthalion Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 453
    ... as if it was absolutely spoiled now, and it was absolutely perfect before ...
  • morriscovaldezmorriscovaldez Member Posts: 2
    When will SoD be released for android?
  • Dev6Dev6 Member Posts: 719

Too bad the nearest neighbor scaling is not the same as it was before. Sprites still can't be made to look exactly like they did in 1.3.

I can't be too pissed about this anymore as I've already accepted that this game went to shit

Play 1.3, problem solved.
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    I wish the GOG and Steam versions were not mod broken. Its a shame
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2016
    Leokosta said:

They are not broken. There's a utility you have to run first to unpack the SoD files, (if that's the game you're refering too.)
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1
  • LeokostaLeokosta Member Posts: 73
    rashkae said:

Leokosta said:

They are not broken. There's a utility you have to run first to unpack the SoD files, (if that's the game you're refering too.)
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/50441/modmerge-merge-your-steam-gog-zip-based-dlc-into-something-weidu-nearinfinity-dltcep-can-use/p1
    The tool seems to work. Thank you. I use BWS and BWP ( https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/overview ), and it seems to be working now. And yet , its very strange that we need a tool to be able to use mods.
  • rashkaerashkae Member Posts: 179
    Leokosta said:

The tool seems to work. Thank you. I use BWS and BWP ( https://bitbucket.org/BigWorldSetup/bigworldsetup/overview ), and it seems to be working now. And yet , its very strange that we need a tool to be able to use mods.

It was an odd decision to package the new game that way, considering how important mods are to the community that makes up the BG gamers, and how closely Beamdog has always worked with modders on this game. But credit where it's due, they fixed it after the fact pretty quick.
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341
    this patch kills "turn" undead in bg2ee but apart from that its nice to have
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    mf2112 said:

skini82 said:

Aedan said:

@skini82
    Unfortunately, there isn't. We can just hope that one day they will release a patch for DVD version as well, but I doubt it.

That's not good...
    I know they are continuing to look at this. I am not sure what the hold up is, maybe trying to get one or two more patches out so they can package all up into a big patch set to post as an .iso maybe?
    why an iso? why anything complicated? it's the same damn files. any modder can create a patch, and those jokers can't WHY?!?!?