Skip to content

Easter Eggs In Baldurs Gate ** Spoiler**

Comments

• SophiaSophia Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 581

Sophia said:

I've found these Name-related Easter Eggs on the internet:
    "A minor BG2 character shares the Arabic name of Khalid with a BG1 party member. Fortunately, the writers did not capitalize on the obvious idea of making a really bad joke about it.
    On the other hand, a PC named Drizzt is just asking for trouble.
    Naming a female PC Lanfear can lead to an easter egg in Chapter Six of BG2."

But I never tried to name my character Drizzt or Lanfear, did any of you do that?

Just tried the Lanfear one: Coran says "Well since Safana is dead and I was growing rather fond of Lanfear(charname), Im gonna stay with her!"
    Lanfear gets mad and curse him too *Coran dies*
    Then she says that you, who have the same name of her will join him soon :p

EDIT: As regards Drizzt I should play all over again to test where it causes the mess, maybe in Ust'Natha...
    Thank you for trying this out, I was really curious about it!
    For Drizzt, I never tried myself but someone on this topic (or another, I don't remember ^^') said that if your name is Drizzt and your reputation is lower than 12, when you'll meet Drizzt in BG2 he will attack you
    Buttercheese
  • SpaceInvaderSpaceInvader Member Posts: 2,125
    I forgot to say that I also created a new char called Drizzt, spawned some Innocent and killed them till rep dropped to 1, moved to AR2601 (Drizzt area) and... Nothing new in the conversation :p
    That's why I think it maybe changes something else
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    I've heard you also need to be an elf, but I never tried it myself so I couldn't say.
    SophiaRaistlin82
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Not really a true easter egg, but if you go to the top floor of candlekeep library before talking to "koveras" (or use inv pots so you dont get arrested), there are about 3 locked chests with a *Ton* of gold and valuable jewels inside.
    MoomintrollWithinAmnesia
  • ST4TICStrikerST4TICStriker Member Posts: 162
    No one mentioned the ring of Protection?
    It's above the cross-roads in the zone you get sent to after your foster farther dies.

You people and your funny references, we all know only stats matter.
    "FUN IS FOR THE WEAK!"
    DragonspearSCARY_WIZARDbooinyoureyes
  • jfliederjflieder Member Posts: 115
    serialies said:

If you name yourself drizzt and get really bad rep, when you meet in in bg2 he'll call you out on it (IIRC).

no idea who lanfear is.

Lanfear is also an antagonistic character in the fantasy fiction Wheel of Time series. Were the devs paying homage? Perhaps

ST4TICStriker
  • SensukiSensuki Member Posts: 19
    edited September 2012
    Heinrich said:

I remember playing Baldur's Gate and pick pocketed Drizzt for both his swords.

IIRC you can only pickpocket Frostbrand because it's not equipped. You can't actually pickpocket Defender. You either have to kill him or use shadowkeeper/cheats to get the sword.

Unless there's a mod that changes this of course.
    ST4TICStriker
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    GrandeC said:

@jflieder @serialies Lanfear was the forum name of a particularly vocal person on the official forums before the release of BG2. Lanfear was most vocal in her, good-natured, demands that Coran make a return in BG2. The scenario with the werewolf was the devs acquiescence to the demands.

I do not know if she got her name from the series you mentioned jflieder.

Rofl, wow, that's just awful. Nice ...
    ST4TICStriker
  • HexHammerHexHammer Member Posts: 288
    - after leaving Candle Keep on 2nd map, a big flat stone has a +1 ring.
    - pick up all the weird trouses, can be used in BG 2 for a secret weapon.
    ST4TICStriker
  • RajickRajick Member Posts: 207
    Ok so lanfear is a reference to a forsaken from the book series the wheel of time
    Splod
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Rajick said:

Ok so lanfear is a reference to a forsaken from the book series the wheel of time

Is BG referencing that or a poster whose username was based on that? The above post suggests the user was the inspiration rather than the developers' love of the wheel of time series.

Moomintroll
  • KosonKoson Member Posts: 284
    @AHF The user was the inspiration (so to say), she was very vocal, almost aggressive in her campaign to have Coran return in SoA instead of Jaheira. It's possible she picked her forum name from the books, but the SoA Coran/Safana/Lanfear cameo was her getting her wish granted, although not quite how she'd have liked it (her intent was to have Coran return as a joinable NPC, like Minsc, Edwin and the others).
    SophiaGrandeC
  • AHFAHF Member Posts: 1,376
    Koson said:

@AHF The user was the inspiration (so to say), she was very vocal, almost aggressive in her campaign to have Coran return in SoA instead of Jaheira. It's possible she picked her forum name from the books, but the SoA Coran/Safana/Lanfear cameo was her getting her wish granted, although not quite how she'd have liked it (her intent was to have Coran return as a joinable NPC, like Minsc, Edwin and the others).

That is both funny and more interesting for me than pulling the name from another series.
    SophiaMoomintrollSCARY_WIZARD
    Hehe, you should have read her comments on the official forums :). Her arguments pro-Coran were good and rather sensible (and I agreed with most of them), but the anti-Jaheira parts of her posts were less than pretty to put it mildly :).
    GrandeC
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    ...Why'd she hate Jaheira so bad?
    Well, Jaheira's stats aren't so great in vBG1, she has a very bossy attitude, she comes as part of a pair, she's a multi-class so levels slowly, druid spells were found by many to be lacking in vBG1.
    Plus, while Coran was her favorite NPC, she most likely disliked Jaheira a lot from the get-going, so upon finding out who the returning joinable NPCs were and seeing Jaheira picked over Coran, her dislike turned into hate.
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    Shin said:

Not exactly an easter egg, but baffled me a bit in my latest playthrough since I'd never seen it before:

If you help out Aldeth Sashenstar in the Cloakwood, then help him again with his consortium in Baldur's Gate and become good friends with him; and then in chapter 7, when you're wanted for murder and hunted all over town if you visit Aldeth in his consortium he will pretend to be friendly and then proceed to sell you out to the Flaming Fist. The bastard. I think next time I may side with the shadow druids.

Yeah, he really is a total tool. Gives me all the more reason to kill him, thus getting his Bastard Sword earlier, and the opportunity to kill his brother, taking his Heavy Crossbow of Accuracy.
  • ShinShin Member Posts: 2,345
    edited September 2012
    @Shandyr That is interesting.. I think I assumed they were shadow druid with Seniyad being so militant.. them being regular, "balance-seeking" druids would support the theory that Aldeth really is a prick I suppose.

But yeah, it is then a shame that nothing happens with Jaheira in the party, and also that you can't reasonably side with the druids without spouting the aloe vera-balm line, which makes me feel more like the PC just couldn't care less about the entire situation. So the choices aren't very balanced in that regard.
    ChrisYui
  • diggerbdiggerb Member Posts: 132
    ChrisYui said:

Yes! He shows up out of nowhere and chucks a scimitar at you ( at the docks, at night, usually?), and when that doesn't kill you, I think he runs away or something.

I thought that was Habib.
  • kilroy_was_herekilroy_was_here Member Posts: 455
    @ajwz I remember that. It's a bug that causes Mordenkainen's sword to spawn with that in its... inventory... somehow. Probably that will be one of the things fixed.

I heard that in BG2 Drizzt is coded as an earth elemental so you can use the ring of elemental control to dominate him. (Never tried it myself but it wouldn't surprise me if true)
    QuartzFredjo
  • DebaserDebaser Member Posts: 669
    Here's what I've found so far:

Evermemory Ring just sounth of Friendly Arm In on the same map.
    Ring Of Protection +1 One map south of the Friendly Arm
    Ankeg Armor in Naskel
    Cloudkill Scroll one map South of Naskel
    Ring Of Fire Protection two maps East of Naskel
    Wand of Frost on Naskel Mine Map

Are there more easter eggs than these?
  • JustariusJustarius Member Posts: 43
    GrandeC said:

@jflieder @serialies Lanfear was the forum name of a particularly vocal person on the official forums before the release of BG2. Lanfear was most vocal in her, good-natured, demands that Coran make a return in BG2. The scenario with the werewolf was the devs acquiescence to the demands.

I do not know if she got her name from the series you mentioned jflieder.

Mencar Pebblecrusher is also the name of one of the old forumite's. I think he's the only one that made it into BG1 via the TOSC expansion.

Lanfear obviously in BG2 along with Gromnir and Draconis in Throne of Bhaal.

Not sure if any others made it in.