Skip to content

Do dwarves dream of magical shotguns?

2»

Comments

• JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    deltago said:

Magic makes technology redundant.

Why invent the steam engine when you can cast haste on a steed and get their much faster.
    Why invent an airplane when there are flight and featherfall spells.
    Why invent a gun that has a chance to miss when a wand of magic missiles always hits.
    Why find the cure for cancer when restoration and resurrection exist.

Well, for Gnomes, it's because they can. Gnomes are funny like that.

Dwarves (Shield Dwarves in particular,) have a very large distaste for magic, especially arcane magic. If they could drum up a "mundane" way of doing something, they would, and use it as well. Sure, they might not go into medicine, since divine magic is fine with them, but things to replace arcane magic? They'd be for it.

Except probably the flying thing. I can't see a Realms dwarf enjoying flying. A steam device that could move mountains of ore up a shaft to the city though? That would be dwarven heaven.

Do remember, though, while yes, the Realms practically BLEED magic, it's still a fairly exclusive club. You either need to get in good with the temples, with certain nature circles, convince someone else to spend years teaching you, or be one of the (probably) lucky sods who are just born with it. Is your average Joe going to figure out how to read an arcane scroll to cast haste or flight? Is he ever going to be able to figure out how to use a wand more complex than the simple pew-pew Wand of Magic Missiles? Give him a cross bow or a Wand of Magic Missiles, and he's probably going to go with the crossbow.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    deltago said:

Why invent the steam engine when you can cast haste on a steed and get their much faster.
    Why invent a gun that has a chance to miss when a wand of magic missiles always hits.

AFAIK in most fantasy settings (including forgotten realms) magic is hard to learn and the services of any wizard or cleric is quite expensive. People don't learn haste spells from day to night and very few priests have enough power to actually restore and ressurect common folk (you might also consider that very few with such powers would be good aligned and do that because they wish to).
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2016
    deltago said:

Let's suppose then tech and magic are two disjunct parts of the realm. There could be the ones who reject magic strongly. Tech based characters will always disagree when using resurrection.
    If you have tech NPC in your party and use resurrection on him, he could leave your party. Then you go to his mechanical city and win over his disbelief in magic, if you have enough charisma. Of course, everyone in the city will look at your mage and cleric with despise.
    Tech and magic could be part of subreligion in this futuristic FR. I agree this points toward science fantasy theme. As @Jarrakul said it would be interesting idea in about 1 000 000 DR timeline. Binding of technology and magic could have been even more remarkable then.
    Arthur Clarke stated in his third law:
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    Post edited by brus on
    mashedtaters
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I agree with @brus .

Technology is magic!
    brus
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited June 2016

Technology is magic!

I agree with @mashedtaters .
    For every engineer out there this is the first thought in the morning and main thought in the evening.

I would like to hear from a (steampunk) mage:
    Magic is technology! :lol:
    mashedtaters
  • FinnTheHumanFinnTheHuman Member Posts: 404
    Yes there is a place for steampunk, the hall of wonders. But no, it's Gnomes who dream of such oddities. If dwarfs dream at all, their dreams are no doubt just like their real lives. Dwarfs are living their dreams, I don't see how this could be disputed.
    brusmashedtaters