Skip to content

Euro 2016 and Confederations Cup 2017 football thread - share your impressions

Comments

• FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Poor UKR
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861

Haha, I am like Finland in FIFA rankings, but that's ok - I look fwd to @FinneousPJ showing what we can do! :smile:

I am frankly happy that N-Ireland kept me at zero, though - I did not expect them to be quite this strong, even if edging to top 16 seems bit unlikely, as they lost to PL. But first win ever in Euros- well done!

Gutted for Wales obviously, even if English fight-back was of course nicely done... My under-dog inclination going strong here.

(Also, my symphaties to the UK for the tragedy of today)
    edited June 2016
    TStael said:

)

Edit: above is ref in terms of my glorious predictions thus far, just to be clear, as JB's lovely table is not shown above!

I am still at zero, I think, but one game still to go today... Gotta count on German machine performing to perfection!
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Ukraine-Northern Ireland... damn I've got it backwards... Good result for Poland, I suppose :)

But for England-Wales... nailed it!
  • ArgasArgas Member Posts: 174
    I dont know any pub songs other than this one..

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cIZKE4JKOlw
    Damn, the suspense... Germans seems in better shape, but Poles defend very well. I'm too old for this :p
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    My predictions are terrible! I am the not-so-wise Alaundo
    THAT defense... :) Flawless. Not easy to throw punches with Germany. Good game (great in 2nd half).
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Oh wow, all my guesses/predictions were wrong yesterday! Unfortunately I wasn't able to see any of the games. I listened to ENG-WAL a bit while working, but that was it.

Today SWE will get humiliated by ITA. I'm not looking forward to this.. I have this feeling I will have to drown my sorrows in beer tonight :)

One thing that made me proud to be swedish though was to see when Irish and Swedish fans partying and celebrating together. No fights, no destruction of property. Just beer, friendship and good times. That's how you do it, cheer for YOUR country, don't hate on the others.
    ITA - SWE 1-2
    CZE - CRO 0-1
    ESP - TUR 2-0
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

ITA - SWE 1-2

I applaud your bravado.

• DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698

Antonio Conte is indeed an excellent coach, we'll see how he fares in Chelsea next season. The most surprising fact regarding that win was that, actually, Belgium is an organised team with individual quality. It is obvious that both Republic of Ireland and Sweden are worse in this context.

Late reply...

I haven't seen any previous game by Belgium, but in our game I saw very few moments when they did nice plays that could free some players, or could get an edge while attacking. Maybe that's where we tactically overcame them and dumped their potential, or simply they were not in their best day.

@TStael Ah, Pirlo, what a pleasure for the eyes. At the beginning of his career he was more of a forward/advanced playmaker (like Baggio or similar). It was Ancelotti, while they were together in Milan, who turned him into a back playmaker, staying just ahead of the defence, and that's when he really started shining.
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698
    By the way, I always thought that Pogba could have a little Balotelli into himself. :lol:
    Skatan said:

ITA - SWE 1-2

I applaud your bravado.

Oops I mean ITA 2 - SWE 1 sorry @Skatan but thx for pointing that out :D
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    Balquo said:

Northern Ireland! Feels good. Unfortunately I fear this is as far as they go - I can always dream though!

3 points and a positive goal average, not bad at all. It is too early to comment on the various scenarios but there are several factors which may help them.
    For instance a spanish victory and a croatian victory today.
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Northern Ireland is already certain to be at least number 3 in the group. If they lose to Germany and Ukraine beats Poland, both Northern Ireland and Ukraine will have 3 points - but since Northern Ireland won against Ukraine they will be better placed.

This also means that Ukraine will be last in the group, no matter what happens in the last round.
    @Skatan I think we all knew ITA was going to win, but I am rather disappointed in both. Especially SWE as they seem content leaving the tournament with 0 attempts on target.
    edited June 2016
    Davide said:

Ah, Pirlo, what a pleasure for the eyes.

Indeed - and in every way, lol!

Loved his bearded look also superficially, even if that was quite secondary to his superb tactical vision and touch on the ball. I miss Pirlo so! I sort of viewed last world cup as "the one which would be the last for Pirlo..." Pity Italy did not do a bit better there... Goal scoring is of course icing on the cake, but I love playmakers like Pirlo that uplift and orchestrate the whole team.

Have to admit though that even if there is no greater joy to beat Sweden when we are in the same competition, I really wanted our neighbours to win! :cry: Well done there too, Italy, of course...

OK, my ambition becomes not to be at zero points when this tournament is over so, here goes for the evening games:

CZ 1 - HR 3
    ES 2 - TR 1

Edit: getting the quote right.
    @TStael Umberto Czech are playing Croatia
    Davide said:

By the way, I always thought that Pogba could have a little Balotelli into himself. :lol:

Gasp! :anguished:

You tease, right? I mean, Balotelli's career has been pretty much chucked down the drain by excessive antics. I thought nothing screamed lesser team-spirit than him standing far ahead awaiting to be served a perfect pass right to his feet in the last wold cup.

To me, it is actually this certain aloofness and understatedness of Pogba that endears him to me so! His brilliance shines the attention on him, not his ego asking for recognition. And he is only 23!

Um... am I idolizing here? But at least I think I could idolize a much worse player!

@Skatan I think we all knew ITA was going to win, but I am rather disappointed in both. Especially SWE as they seem content leaving the tournament with 0 attempts on target.

Beats me! Even if form my Pogba adorations you can probably figure out that I am not one to like Zlatan- style ego, but still it is very disappointing. I really would love a scandi team or Hungary to support in the final stages.

I think I needs must predict so that both Iceland and Hungary edge Portugal to last 16! "Luke, it is the only way." :smiley:

And goodness me - did Poland throw an enormous spanner on the German attack-conveyor belt! 0-0 is obviously the most annoying footie result, but I did not think there'd be a defence to stop Germany attacking onwards from their "libero" Neuer!

Poland: respect!

@TStael Umberto Czech are playing Croatia

HR is actually international abbreviation proper for Croatia - if that's what you mean? Whenever I am nerdy-technical, I actually long for an approving pat on the back!
    @TStael I see. Why don't you use the same abbreviations as UEFA?
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    Yay! Su rely I have gone up in the rankings!

@TStael I see. Why don't you use the same abbreviations as UEFA?

Lazy I'd guess using two letter abbreviations, but if that's convention here, I'll adopt. Modelling myself on UEFA ... hmmm... Love the game and Euros but hate the organisation!

Anyways... what a fight back from CZE! Another prediction destroyed, but I'm glad because that was really a very spirited ending for the game!
    Each of tomorrow's matches will be very interesting, so let's get that out of the way:

BEL 2 - IRE 1
    ICE 0 - HUN 0
    POR 0 - AUT 1

The last prediction is because Barbie-boy aka Ronaldo angered me with his mean-spirited comments about Iceland, whom were rightly proud to have scored their first point ever in Euros.

However, any team which relies significantly on a single star player is actually pretty fragile, so let's see what gives!
    @TStael Team POR is fulla starz ;)

TUR is in the ropes now!
  • Montresor_SPMontresor_SP Member Posts: 2,208
    Ah well. We'll always have Baldur's Gate!

And, they promise the error will be fixed around 11 PM local time - about 15 minutes after the match!
    Damn, how did Croatia not win with Czech Republic? They played great, but lost 2 points in the end. the Czechs were incredibly lucky today.