Skip to content

Mod idea: Golem Building ability for arcane casters

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I have updated the first post with more details about what I plan to add to the mod.

The golems with all their skills and abilities have been coded. Now comes the time-consuming part of creating and coding tomes and ingredients, and scattering them all over Faerun.
    GrammarsaladJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited June 2016
    Does anyone know how to trigger spells from a target creature so that projectiles of the triggered spells originate from the target as well?

In all my attempts the projectile originated from the caster, and not from the target creature, even though the spell effect itself is properly applied to the target.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 said:

Does anyone know how to trigger spells from a target creature so that projectiles of the triggered spells originate from the target as well?

In all my attempts the projectile originated from the caster, and not from the target creature, even though the spell effect itself is properly applied to the target.

Do you mean how something like Hold Person will hit the target, then shoot multiple projectiles from the target to other creatures?
    Not quite. I'd like to add something like this with effect opcodes:
    ActionOverride("target", ReallyForceSpellRES("myspell", Myself))
    The target can be selected by the user, so I can't hardcode the target name. Even the spell to trigger is predefined and can only be altered in a very limited manner (i.e. I can't change the spell's projectile).

Whatever I do I can't force the projectile to use the target creature as starting point.
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    argent77 said:

Not quite. I'd like to add something like this with effect opcodes:
    ActionOverride("target", ReallyForceSpellRES("myspell", Myself))
    The target can be selected by the user, so I can't hardcode the target name. Even the spell to trigger is predefined and can only be altered in a very limited manner (i.e. I can't change the spell's projectile).

Whatever I do I can't force the projectile to use the target creature as starting point.

The Caster will always be the origin of a projectile, so you can make the targeted creature be the caster, if your not worried about casting-level or kill-rights.

Ability_Target = Living Actor
    Opcode = 148 (Cast Spell at Point)
    Target = 2 (Preset target)

This will force the target to cast the spell at its location, so the spell being cast has to either be an AoE spell or a "Self-only" spell. It cannot be a single target spell targeting "Preset Target".
    argent77
    edited June 2016
    I feared it would be something like that. I'll try it out, but most spells are likely not compatible with this method.

My second option would be to duplicate all the spells I intend to use, so I can update targets and/or projectiles. It would affect over 50 different spells though (which may get ugly).

Edit: I found a way by adding a proxy spell between the casting spell and the triggered list of spells which uses an AoE projectile, so I don't have to duplicate dozens of spells. It introduces a slight trigger delay, but it's still acceptable.
    Post edited by argent77 on
    I thought about making one golem manual a price you can win in Aesgareth's game (Cambion on WK level 3). However, I'm a bit hesitant to do it as I would have to destructively replace two lines from his dialog to make it work.

Do you know if there are other mods expanding Aesgareth's dialog (which may cause compatibility issues)?
    brusCrevsDaak
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    edited July 2016
    Maybe Convenience Tweaks and Glaicas Fix but it's unavailable at the moment.
    Post edited by brus on
    argent77CrevsDaak
    Yeah, that mod is currently unavailable. I'll keep the dialog modification for Aesgareth though. It's only slightly expanding two lines without changing their actual meaning.
    I have set up a GitHub project for the mod: https://github.com/Argent77/A7-GolemConstruction (select "devel" branch to see anything useful)

The mod should install fine, but can't be used properly yet (unless you console in the required items).
    brusGrammarsaladJuliusBorisov
    There are some interesting animations in PST. I could use improved animations for flesh golems, brain golems and lightning golems. Ignus floating around is probably more suitable for elementals than for golems however.

The PST animation schemes are pretty weird though. I have to figure out how to convert them first.
    brusCrevsDaak
    brus said:

Maybe Convenience Tweaks and Glaicas Fix but it's unavailable at the moment.

Update (now that SHS is back online): The dialog modification for the cambion Aesgareth in WK seems to be compatible with "Convenience Tweaks and Glaicas Fix", so I will keep it without further modifcations.
    bruslolienCrevsDaak
  • brusbrus Member Posts: 944
    Is it possible to increase the golem encounters minding the difficulty balance ?
    Arcane caster could be quite powerful with adamantine golem at his side.
    GalactygonCrevsDaak
    I plan to add a separate component eventually that adds more variety to the golem encounters throughout the game (maybe even enemy mages with their own golems).

The really powerful golems can only be constructed by high-level spellcasters, and both tomes and materials for them are very hard to come by (doubly so for adamantite golems).
    brus
    I'm planning to add a 50% chance that golems may exhibit severe penalties of one kind or another if badly damaged (i.e. health is down to 25% or less). A number of effects will be permanent while others may only last a couple of rounds. They can all be removed with the "Repair Golem" ability though.
    mf2112lolienCrevsDaak
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    Are you putting anything in the game that tells characters the recipes? Maybe buy some of the lesser ones from Ribald Barterman or some better ones from Lazarus, find some exotic recipes as special treasures?
    I will add Jermien's Home in Imnesville to the list of suitable golem building locations. He will allow you to use it if you're a mage of above-average intelligence and ask him nicely about it. He will also leave his own golem building tome in your care. You have to help him out with his own project first though.
    lolienGrammarsaladCrevsDaak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited July 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Mr2150Grammarsalad
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847

argent77 said:

The ingredients have to be found by yourself though. However, common sense and the will to search every nook and cranny should be enough to find most materials.

This is the one thing that gives me pause about this idea. This basically means that everyone will always have a perfect adamantite golem, in every playthrough. Because that's how people play the game.
    That's what the special artifacts are for. They limit the creation of the Perfect variants.
    CrevsDaak
    Golems are cheesy as hell against certain enemies. I have just cleaned out the whole beholder lair of the Eyeless Cult with a single clay golem in a straight fist fight, including the Unseeing Eye itself. The golem only took some damage fighting the blind priests because of their summons attacking with magical weapons.
    mf2112lolienCrevsDaak
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    I wouldn't say cheesy there, just knowing the right tool for the job. :)
    lolienCrevsDaak
    I would say it's the Balduran Shield for mages.

The golems are also immune to the intelligence drain of mindflayers, but they can still be stunned by their psionic powers and damaged by their (weak) melee attacks. I have to test them against liches (and demiliches) next.
    lolienCrevsDaak