Skip to content

Mod idea: Golem Building ability for arcane casters

1235»

Comments

• argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    I'm planning to add the special ability "Hideous Laughter" to bone golems. It will cause every opponents within 30 ft. of the golem to run around in fear for 2d6 rounds when they fail their save vs. spell at -2. They will be paralyzed with fear instead if they additionally fail their save vs. death. (The D&D manual states that victims will die from fear if they fail all of their saves, but that sounds a bit too overpowered.)
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    If the ability is available for npc spellcasters, maybe allowing non mage classes to get the planar sphere could be included in this mod. This restriction doesn't make much sense anyway.
    The Planar Sphere can always be used for golem building regardless of Charname's class. The only requirement is to deal with Lavok first.
    Grammarsalad
    edited July 2016
    I found the power of Lightning Golems pretty underwhelming compared to the golems of similarly high requirements, so I added a new ability:
    Lightning Travel

Range: 40 ft.
    Duration: Instant
    Area of Effect: The caster
    Saving Throw: Special

This ability allows the lightning golem to transport itself to any chosen place within 40 feet range. Line of sight is not required. The golem transforms itself into a powerful bolt of lightning to travel to the target location almost instantly.
    The high speed transportation generates a shockwave that will blow away and cause 1d6 electrical damage to all creatures within 8 feet radius of the target location. Large creatures such as a dragons or giants will not be blown away by the shockwave. The resulting thunderclap may also cause deafness to any creature in range for 1d4 rounds if they fail their Saving Throw vs. Breath.

Since this ability is part of the golem's own nature it does not have to wait for its aura to be cleansed before using the same or another ability again.
    The secondary effect of this ability will affect all creatures within range, including party members and neutral characters. Is it too powerful?
    Post edited by argent77 on
    inethGrammarsaladCrevsDaak
    I've just finished my BG2EE test run with this mod, which means the public release isn't too far away anymore. I have fixed a number of bugs and done a lot of fine-tuning since the latest beta. I have noticed a few bugs in the game engine while playing which may cause a bit of inconvenience, but it's nothing too serious.

I have also decided to limit the number of golems that may follow your party at the same time, or the game will become way too easy. You can still build as many golems as you want, but they can't follow you in greater number.

There will also be a seventh exotic golem type you can learn to build. The secret of their construction is jealously guarded by a powerful organization however, so I can't mention anything about it in the readme or this board without provoking the wrath of the zu--, err, the author of that tome of golem building. ;)
    mf2112CrevsDaakinethGrammarsalad
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I hope its not hidden anywhere in the EE content.
    Flashburn said:

I hope its not hidden anywhere in the EE content.

Well, no... maybe... Yes, probably.
    CrevsDaakmf2112
    The mod has been officially released. See this topic for more information:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60602/mod-golem-construction-for-spellcasters
    mf2112Grammarsalad