Skip to content

[MOD] BGII:EE - Unofficial Item Pack

Comments

• ClawmasterClawmaster Member Posts: 8
    Summoned him but he doesn't seem to have the items. I may have installed it incorrectly.

I placed the files from the download into the BG2 folder in steamapps and installed it there - is that correct?
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244

Summoned him but he doesn't seem to have the items. I may have installed it incorrectly.

I placed the files from the download into the BG2 folder in steamapps and installed it there - is that correct?

I am not sure, i dont have steam version, but folder "Unofficial Item Pack" and file "Setup-Unofficial Item Pack.exe" must be in same place like "Baldur.exe".
    Edvin said:

I am not sure, i dont have steam version, but folder "Unofficial Item Pack" and file "Setup-Unofficial Item Pack.exe" must be in same place like "Baldur.exe".
    Ahhh that might be the issue. Yeah it's in the same folder as the exe. Oh well!
    @Clawmaster
    My mistake, I was wrong.
    I just tried it and it did not work.

I assumed, that creation of a new character could reset shop, but unfortunately it does not work.

BTW, Mode is successfully installed, when you see announcement "successfully installed".

I had that screen! I guess I'll just use the items on my next play through :D
  • GrimLefourbeGrimLefourbe Member Posts: 637
    Yeah, you can't summon a new store. Once you buy/sell anything from/to a store, a copy of this store(in its current state) is added to your savegame so if a mod were to alter the original after you've already bought from it, nothing would change. You can mod stores that you haven't visited yet though.

Yeah, you can't summon a new store. Once you buy/sell anything from/to a store, a copy of this store(in its current state) is added to your savegame so if a mod were to alter the original after you've already bought from it, nothing would change. You can mod stores that you haven't visited yet though.

I just got a great idea, pocket Genie merchant (I can try steal the script from IWD2).
    It will be a great addition.
    mf2112
    Edvin said:

I just got a great idea, pocket Genie merchant (I can try steal the script from IWD2).
    It will be a great addition.
    Excellent! I will be greatly anticipating this!
    I think a shop genie existed in the old Item Pack. You got it by "rescuing" the djinni in Ust Natha, the one that's being tortured. He joined the pocket plane at the beginning of ToB. You could do something similar?
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Note that the Afaaq Djinni Companion mod also extends the dialog with the Ust Natha djinni, if I remember correctly.

Something to keep in mind for compatibility.
    Right, I remember a drow asking you for payment if you kill the djinni but I can't remember if this was from Afaaq or the Item pack.

He's not the only djinni though, a djinni from the trademeet quest could offer to stay with you after you solve their problem(though this, too, could cause issues with Afaaq).
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    ineth said:

Note that the Afaaq Djinni Companion mod also extends the dialog with the Ust Natha djinni, if I remember correctly.

Something to keep in mind for compatibility.

I don't think Afaaq does, actually. He comments if you decide to release him by destroying his body but that genie doesn't actually have any dialogue attached to him - and spawning a new creature under the same in-game name shouldn't cause any compatibility issues to begin with.
    That's quite possible, I used the old Item pack alongside afaaq and didn't have any issue. If Afaaq was compatible with the Item pack despite the Item pack being old, it's probably not a big deal but it should be verified anyway.
    I have in mind rather a magic lamp, usable item which can summon genie merchant.
    100% compatible with any other existing modes. ;)
    Edvin said:

I have in mind rather a magic lamp, usable item which can summon genie merchant.
    100% compatible with any other existing modes. ;)

That sounds really neat! I'm kinda glad my question in some way inspired this turn of events :)
    @Clawmaster
    Something like this will be a very practical thing.
    If this genie will sell all new items, mode will not require starting a new game.
    I have to say though, it doesn't feel as good to buy an item from an easily found shop as to find it during an encounter or a quest and it's imo one of the flaws of many item packs. I'd suggest offering an option during install.For example, genie with all new items if installed on top of an already working, and compatible, mod list, and items found throughout the world if the other option is selected.
    evildevil97
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    edited July 2016
    A portable shop always felt like a cheat to me. I'd definitely prefer seeing it optional, while still offering a way to get his items ingame otherwise. (Scatter his items to other stores? Since the Adventure Mart is already being used heavily in the main component, maybe scatter them throughout, with the Coronet, Trademeet vendors, Imnesvale vendors, and maybe the duergar in the Underdark? (I'd say Ust'Natha, but if you miss something, you can't return for it in the last two SoA chapters.)

Any TOB content could just be added to the Arcana Archives (in both Saradush and Amkethran).

Just tossing out my two-cents.

And also, re: @GrimLefourbe: That's one of the things I love the most about that other Item Pack mod. New stuff scattered throughout the world. If it can be compatible with that, I wouldn't mind seeing additions to it there.

And also, re: @GrimLefourbe: That's one of the things I love the most about that other Item Pack mod. New stuff scattered throughout the world. If it can be compatible with that, I wouldn't mind seeing additions to it there.

That is not difficult.
    Something like that can be done without any problems during a few moment.

I think I should do a poll.
    mf2112
    I agree but I think the best would be to have it be an option because the shop option does help with adding the mod during a playthrough which is probably important for people who don't get to play a lot.

Besides, while having all powerful items accessible through a magic lamp feels weird and cheaty, I think the idea of a portable shop is still cool because it gives the opportunity to sell all the loot without it being lost for good at any point. So if you have a portable shop and you realise you sold an item that you actually need, you don't have to go through all the shops in the city.

To sum up, I think the ideal would be to have an option for full playthrough and an option for adding the items on top of an ongoing playthrough. The magic lamp would exist in both options but would have all the new items in the second one, compared to a select few in the first option.

SoD has a genie shop with tons of cool items and it doesn't feel like cheating because it's not all the cool items of the game and the items aren't absurdly game breaking.
  • evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    If you do go with the items scattered in the world route, might I suggest you move the Butcher of Innocents to Riejak Hidesman or someone tied to that quest? (Getting it during the part of the quest in Trademeet, I'd suggest.)
    Looks like I'm the only one who wants the lamp. Oh well!

Looks like I'm the only one who wants the lamp. Oh well!

Neverwinter Nights has magic lamp with genie merchant...
    Icewind dale 2 has magic lamp with genie merchant...
    BG2 will have him too!

Most items will be scattered around the world, but some items are not fit for it from the lore reasons.
    For example Screaming Bagpipes ( Do you know many evil Bards in BG2? :) ) or Bloody Bone Plate (I do not know anyone suitable who could wear this armor.) Genie will have these items.

And I plan to create more completely new and interesting items.

P.S.
    Did you know that BG1 and BG2 has a lot of items that are not used in game?
    Some of them should be brought to life.
    Caszidymf2112
  • inethineth Member Posts: 707
    Edvin said:

Did you know that BG1 and BG2 has a lot of items that are not used in game?
    Some of them should be brought to life.

Doesn't Unfinished Business already do that?
    ineth said:

Doesn't Unfinished Business already do that?

Only a small part of them.
    mf2112
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    Could you make the genie only sell items and not buy all your vendor trash? Or at least include an option in the install to allow this.
    It feels like a bit of a cheat having an instant teleporting merchant for me.
    @jobby
    Yes, that is possible.
    I can set him as a temple shop, which does not buy anything except potions.
  • jobbyjobby Member Posts: 181
    That would be awesome :smile:
    Another option is to set his prices incredibly high.
    Last option is fee for each of his summoning.

Right now I'm most inclined to fee option.