Skip to content

V2.3 is here! (BG:EE, BGII:EE, and Siege of Dragonspear)

Comments

• Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited August 2016
    Oh, and if you want to try out a new set of mods or new settings for existing mods, then having a copied folder (or several) means you can try things out quickly to see which you prefer.

Copy the folder, mod it, don't like it, delete the folder.

If you only had one install you'd have to go through the whole install/uninstall/redownload process too - which can be costly/time-consuming on limited connections. Your only limit would be the amount of space on your hard drive. It also means you know the copied folder is always 'clean' too... in case a mod hasn't uninstalled properly.
    RavenslightIronhammer33mashedtaters
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Mr2150 said:

@Ravenslight - I'd say the reason it's a good idea is due to the fact that often a distribution method (depending on your settings) will auto update your installation wiping your mods etc from the install folder and breaking the installation if the override is still intact.

By copying the whole folder, modding it, and then playing from that copied folder you prevent any impact of any auto update process, you can also keep earlier versions of the game (in case you want to revert) and you can finish your current game before you take the step up.

Once you are happy that a new version is stable and you are not currently in a game, then you can repeat the process as needed.

I agree. Unfortunately, not everyone is aware of things like this, which is what made me start thinking about the need for a thread that would help people with their initial setup.

Mr2150Ironhammer33Alonso
    It's a great idea and I agree if possible it should be near the 'list of mods' to keep things together.

It should also explain what to do when a new version comes out - eg you can't just update and expect your mods and everything to work as there are always people reporting that as an issue (eg my dialog has gone all strange or whatever...)
    RavenslightIronhammer33Alonsomashedtaters
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    Yeah, ok, so, let's think of what should be in the guide. I'm thinking about the following:

- A general introduction about mods. What are they, and why would you want them?

- A brief disclaimer that the rest of this guide will only refer to BGEE/SOD/BGIIEE/IWDEE, and a brief explanation of what these acronyms are for.

- A brief explanation on .zip and .rar files, that people are likely to run into.

- A general description of where to find the installation directory, and why and how to make a backup.

- Explanation about Modmerge, and if you should run it or not.

- Explanation about the difference between Override mods and Weidu mods.

- Guide on installing Override mods.

- Guide on installing Weidu mods.

- Notes on Patch updates. (For both the base game and mods alike.)

- Links to the BGEE/BGIIEE/IWDEE mod threads.

Am I forgetting anything?
    Ironhammer33BillyYankAlonsomashedtaters
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
    A mention of Big World Setup would probably be appropriate.
    Mr2150mashedtaters
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    BillyYank said:

Is BWS a recommende mod for the Infinity or BG series of games?
    BWS is a GUI frontend for a database of mods and can automatically download and install mods for the user. The database includes the recommended download order and knows which components of different mods conflict with each other. You pick your mods, resolve any conflicts, then it downloads and installs everything for you. It's still got a learning curve, but it's much easier than doing it all by hand.
    Alonso
  • Ironhammer33Ironhammer33 Member Posts: 54
    @Thels + @Mr2150 Firstly, THANK YOU for breaking this down for me and giving me that PHENOMENAL tip for creating the 'MyMods.txt' file! HUGE help!

There were still a few times where I was confused and I would like to point them out here in case anyone else, like me, is similarly confused. This is no way means you were confusing by the way, I just merely am not familiar with doing all this. For example:
    Thels said:

@Ironhammer33: You need to copy the entire BGEE folder elsewhere, for example, to: E:\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

As simple as it seems, I was very unsure for a time if copying the entire BGEE folder meant the folder under
    Thels said:

@Ironhammer33: C:\Program Files (x86)\SteamLibrary\Steamapps\Common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

or some other folder. I know this seems like such a "well what other folder could I be talking about" but for someone who REALLY has no idea what they are doing and if copying of a game's folders is allowed, or whatever, I really was confused for a time, but am not anymore.

Additionally, when you advised me to make sure I downloaded the correct version of 'Modmerge',
    Thels said:
    I was initially hesitant to download the file in the forum link you provided because there was another link, later on in the thread, and unfortunately paranoia set in and it took me awhile to just launch myself into one of them, download it, and then open the other link, download and compare the two folders to verify they were the same.

So for anyone else, who may be frozen by fear like I was, rest assured, you can just download the linked file(s) to a separate folder and compare them (i.e. look for 'Date Modified') to tell you which is the newest. I have downloaded the most current version of the 'Modmerge' and desired mods. Thanks again.

Now, this is where I am currently "stuck". You said:
    Thels said:

@Ironhammer33:

Again, these are zip files, so you need to extract the files. After extracting the files, move them into the same directory as the "baldur.exe" and "chitin.key" files. You should have 2 new files there: "setup-bg1npc.exe" and "setup-bg1ub.exe", as well as 2 new subfolders: "bg1npc" and "bg1ub".

It is very important that these two setup-bg1 exe files are in the same directory as your "chitin.key" and "baldur.exe" directories. If they're elsewhere, they will not work properly.

Ok. When I move the two folders, "bg1ub" and "bg1npc" to my copied BG:EE's folder, I only see one executable file, namely the "setup-bg1npc.exe" in the parent BG:EE folder. The other file, namely "setup-bglub.exe" is in the C:\...\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\bg1ub-master\bg1ub.

Is that what you mean by having both of these executable files in the same folder or do I need to move the "setup-bglub.exe" physically to the BG:EE folder?

edited August 2016
    OK - so you've installed and run modmerge?

If yes, then open the spoiler ...

The other file, namely "setup-bglub.exe" is in the C:\...\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\bg1ub-master\bg1ub.

The reason you had this is due to the way some zipping programs work, they often create a folder named after the original zip in the location you specify when you 'extract all', rather than just copying the contents so you end up with:

C:\...\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ZIPNAME\ZIP_contents instead of ...C:\...\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\ZIP_contents

SO... to fix this: Go into folder bg1ub-master and press Ctrl-A to select all, then Ctrl-C to copy all, then go up one level to:

C:\...\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition

Then press Ctrl+V to paste everything you just copied. Then delete bg1ub-master.

As @Thels said before,
    You should have 2 new files there: "setup-bg1npc.exe" and "setup-bg1ub.exe", as well as 2 new subfolders: "bg1npc" and "bg1ub". It is very important that these two setup-bg1 exe files are in the same directory as your "chitin.key" and "baldur.exe" directories. If they're elsewhere, they will not work properly.

These are the 'WEIDU' programs for running and installing the programs. WEIDU is the utility that mods the Infinity Engine games automatically for you, making sure all the files are copied correctly, and that the game is altered correctly. You need to double-click the first file to install it - then follow the instructions that come up in the window. It will ask you to confirm lots of details, like language and installation options. If you aren't sure what to select with regard to options then I'd suggest to read the readme carefully however with these two mods it is usually safe just to install everything.

It will give you a report once it's all done saying that it installed successfully or not, and assuming all ok, you can then double-click to install the second mod.
    Ironhammer33
    edited August 2016
    BillyYank said:

Considering the sometimes atrocious lack of respect to original modmakers, I care little to promote the Big World Setup.

Also, it would explain two different ways to get from A to B. Information tends to be clearer when there's one clear cut way, than discussing multiple options through each other.

Now, this is where I am currently "stuck". You said:

Thels said:

@Ironhammer33:

Again, these are zip files, so you need to extract the files. After extracting the files, move them into the same directory as the "baldur.exe" and "chitin.key" files. You should have 2 new files there: "setup-bg1npc.exe" and "setup-bg1ub.exe", as well as 2 new subfolders: "bg1npc" and "bg1ub".

It is very important that these two setup-bg1 exe files are in the same directory as your "chitin.key" and "baldur.exe" directories. If they're elsewhere, they will not work properly.

Ok. When I move the two folders, "bg1ub" and "bg1npc" to my copied BG:EE's folder, I only see one executable file, namely the "setup-bg1npc.exe" in the parent BG:EE folder. The other file, namely "setup-bglub.exe" is in the C:\...\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition\bg1ub-master\bg1ub.

Is that what you mean by having both of these executable files in the same folder or do I need to move the "setup-bglub.exe" physically to the BG:EE folder?
    Regardless of what is where, you move the setup-bg1npc.exe, the bg1npc folder, the setup-bg1ub.exe, and the bg1ub folder, so that they reside in the same directory as the baldur.exe and chitin.key.

Do NOT move baldur.exe or chitin.key. They're exactly where they need to be. Just move the exe and folder from each mod to the same folder as baldur.exe and chitin.key. then when all of them are in the same folder, run setup-bg1npc.exe and follow the instructions. When it's complete, run setup-bg1ub.exe and follow the instructions.
    Thels said:

BillyYank said:

Considering the sometimes atrocious lack of respect to original modmakers, I care little to promote the Big World Setup.
    I hadn't heard of that, what did they do?
    They tend to not even bother asking for mod designer's permission before including them into their Big World Setup. They often also apply some tweaks to them, again without the mod designer's permission, as well as not listing these tweaks.

A) It's completely disrespectful to the mod designers.

B) If one of those tweaks causes problems, and the end user goes up to the mod designer to ask what's up, then the mod designer has no way to know that the bug was potentially introduced by BWS.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Thels said:

They tend to not even bother asking for mod designer's permission before including them into their Big World Setup. They often also apply some tweaks to them, again without the mod designer's permission, as well as not listing these tweaks.

A) It's completely disrespectful to the mod designers.

B) If one of those tweaks causes problems, and the end user goes up to the mod designer to ask what's up, then the mod designer has no way to know that the bug was potentially introduced by BWS.

And how do you know they don't ask authors for permission? Maybe they do it via PM's or e-mails instead of asking on public forums.
    Because authors have complained about it left and right? There's been quite a few mentions about it here and there.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    I don't recall any modder objects that his mod is actually included in BWS. The main problem they have with it is that its authors tend to include even beta builds, which may contain bugs, and that troubleshooting is much harder when many mods installed by BWS are involved. Also some modders objects with using hotfixes not authorised by them.
    Ergo, they go around doing stuff like include beta versions, apply hotfixes, etc... all without contacting the modders about it. I've heard of modders not at all happy about this, so yeah, I'm not approving of BWS.

Also, it is my personal opinion that if you know what you're doing, installing the mods yourself one by one is a better way to go than rely to do some kind of tool to do the work for you. Not to mention that BWS to my knowledge only has Windows support, and thus would not be of help to Mac users.

I've started to flesh out this guide a bit in a local notepad, but I'm definitely not going to rely on BWS as the way to install mods.
    Mr2150RavenslightIronhammer33
    I don't know anything about BWS but I am a bit of a control freak so like to control and manage things myself. I then know what I've done, and if I mess up, I know how to undo it.
  • AlonsoAlonso Member Posts: 806
    I think I'm talking for a lot of people when I say I would appreciate it so much if you create this modding guide. By all means, go for it.

I just merely am not familiar with doing all this.

And, just like you, so many of us. Good of you to keep asking what you don't understand.
    edited August 2016
    Still working on that.

Got some additional ideas to add from this thread:
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/60876/when-to-do-generalised-biffing#latest

- What is Biffing and should I apply it?
    (Short answer: Don't bother with biffing.)

- What about Fixpacks and Widescreen mods?
    (Short answer: Don't install these. They're already implemented in EE.)

- How do I know if a mod is EE compatible or not?

Also, does anyone reading this have the GoG edition? If so, can you tell me where GoG installs BGEE, BGIIEE and IWDEE on default?
    Ravenslight
    I think the default for GOG is C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games @Thels
    @Mr2150 - So they would be these?
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Baldur's Gate II Enhanced Edition
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition
    I don't have the EE editions on GOG, only from Beamdog and Steam... but when I try to install the originals that's where they install to...

C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Baldurs Gate
    C:\Program Files (x86)\GalaxyClient\Games\Baldurs Gate 2

So may need to check exactly (eg is it Baldurs Gate - Enhanced Edition, Baldurs Gate 2, Baldurs Gate II etc...)
    No, it's:

C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition
    C:\GOG Games\Baldur's Gate II - Enhanced Edition
    C:\GOG Games\Icewind Dale Enhanced Edition

None of that Program Files drama with GOG.
    ThacoBell
    Is that using the client or downloading directly @BillyYank ?
    I use Galaxy and that's where all my GOG Games end up.
    ThacoBell
    Bizarre... mine end up in the GalaxyClient folder ...
    @BillyYank: I doubt those are default, though. With the GoG installers, once you've changed the installation folder of one of your games, it'll adjust the installation folder of all future games accordingly.

You probably at one time chose to move a GoG game to C:\GOG Games\nameofthegame, and it's been installing all your games there since then.
    edited August 2016
    I have seen other people mention the same folder for their GOG installs, so I don't think it was my input. I was thinking it might be because I purchased my first GOG games before Galaxy came out. That might be where GOG put their games before Galaxy. It would make sense, a lot of old games have problems existing in Program Files.
    That's likely, so maybe it's a case of if you've installed anything before Galaxy, it uses GOG Games as default, otherwise it defaults to GalaxyClient (much like Steam uses steamapps by default) ?
    Maybe it's best in the guide to say what the possible defaults could be, and then give instructions on how to check that...

In GOG Galaxy Client, you go to MORE > MANAGE INSTALLATION > SHOW FOLDER to see where it is installed.