Skip to content

Making it Work: Inventory

Comments

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    Pecca said:

Also, keep in mind that we added a scrollbar with the condition, that it would be replaced by larger arrow buttons for touchscreens. There still need to be enough space on the right for that.

Well, if we go with that then the layout code will be different on the tablet version anyway, since the arrows have different art resources and widths and whatnot. So I think they could just shift the whole stack of ground slots to the left as they need.
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    Sounds dangerous to me. ;)
    Ah, okay. Makes sense.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    So something like this:

The green being Touch UI only feature... I've combined them but I think it's worthwhile mocking them up separately ultimately.

• DanathionDanathion Member Posts: 173

For me, that doesn’t help.

Edit: I mean the pulling them apart part.
    It strikes me as less symmetrical then before.

I'm not sure that more space to drag items through is such a good thing.
    How about this: ground slots returned to horizontal center, with the "Ground" title also centered. I figure since most other titles are centered (Quiver, Quick Items, Quick Weapons, Inventory), it's more consistent with how the rest of the screen works.

So, what did @Dee’s adding frame elements to this mean? It got lost a couple pages back?
    @Ravenslight He meant to add the frame around the "PAUSE" box that we were discussing, since that frame previously only appeared on the background art. I added it since.

So, what did @Dee’s adding frame elements to this mean? It got lost a couple pages back?

I've been playing with that (it seems like ages since I actually played the game):

So does Adul’s grey mockup work for everyone now?
    edited September 2016
    What if the ground title also got its own box, like the rest of the titles? I had to lower the inventory and ground slots a bit for it to work, but only by a few pixels:

Might help with what I mentioned earlier, that I thought the inventory and the ground slots weren't distinguished enough from each other.

Yes! :joy: I think we need to apply artwork to the blueprint? preferably with mock-ups for all 4 skins...
    I personally could argue more points, but I’m trying not to. :) We will never agree 100% on what we would individually like to see. But it seems to me that most areas are covered?
    That could work too, @Adul
    Also, something might come up while looking more closely from an artwork view.
    Danathion said:

Yes! :joy: I think we need to apply artwork to the blueprint? preferably with mock-ups for all 4 skins...
    Wait, what's the 4th one? BG:EE, BG2:EE, SoD, and...? Grey stone from BG1?
    Adul said:

What if the ground title also got its own box, like the rest of the titles? I had to lower the inventory and ground slots a bit for it to work, but only by a few pixels:

Might help with what I mentioned earlier, that I thought the inventory and the ground slots weren't distinguished enough from each other.
    I like that! I think frames/boarders may be easier to configure looking at the artwork, but I'm happy with the placement of the structural features. :smile: I don't think we're missing anything?
    edited September 2016
    Adul said:

Danathion said:

I was counting IWD. :smiley:

Edit: But we'd want to start with BG2 and SoD, I think. :wink:
    edited September 2016
    Danathion said:

Adul said:

Danathion said:

I was counting IWD. :smiley:
    Oh, duh. That was quite stupid of me, especially considering I'm in a middle of an IWD:EE playthrough. :D
    Yes, I think it was suggested that BGII should be used as the base to start with.
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    edited September 2016
    <3

I think that goes to show a good UI layout will work regardless of the skin.
    Post edited by Mr2150 on
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    edited September 2016
    Man, I actually like the stone skin with that UI. Hopefully it will be an option, modded or otherwise.
    I like it a lot too. I keep wanting the paper doll to be a bit bigger though.

Brings back memories… sigh :)
    edited September 2016
    I made a BG2 draft, and while I was doing it, I realized it looks really weird that the ground title hangs over the ground scroll bar, so I changed it just a little bit in order to fix that.

New blueprint:

BG2 draft:
    Pecca said:

Got some nostalgia mood today. :)

I told you he'd do it! :smirk: That is awesome!
    Adul said:

I made a BG2 draft, and while I was doing it, I realized it looks really weird that the ground title hangs over the ground scroll bar, so I changed it just a little bit in order to fix that.

New blueprint:

BG2 draft:
    Everything looks good there, like @Mr2150 said, the blueprint works! :smile:
    edited September 2016
    Nice @Adul :)

Now if I could just suck that into my game…