Skip to content

Making it Work: Inventory

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Looks good, thanks for putting that together.
    DanathionAdulJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Looks great!
    DanathionAdulJuliusBorisovRavenslight
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    edited September 2016
    Little late to the party, but I have some points to the ground slots. First (minor), using the scrollbar to shift 4 slots might complicate things for modders that would want to change the layout of the ground slots. So ideally the code should allow modders to change the number of slots shifted.
    Second, it should be specifically stated, that the different layout for tablets, the scrollbar vs arrow buttons, would be put in the same code and would use "e:IsTouchUI()" as a condition.
    The scrollbar isn't an independent element, it is always used for "area" elements in the UI, so that likely means that the ground slots would have to become such area for PC layout (that means the slots would not be independent elements), while for tablets, the arrow buttons are independent and are used to shift another groups of independent elements. This complicate things but I still think it's possible (maybe not exactly in a way we propose though).

Edit: Thinking about it, using the scrollbar almost certainly wouldn't work this way (shifting one line at a time) because the 2.0 UI changed how scrollbars are used. Remember the old 1.3 load screen (four fixed slots) versus the new one (smooth dynamical scrolling) to understand the difference.
    JuliusBorisovAdul
  • lefreutlefreut Member Posts: 1,462
    edited November 2019
    Post edited by lefreut on
    PeccaAdul
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    You can scroll slots with a mousewheel (that function already exists in the UI) however it doesn't display a scrollbar - so it's only a partial solution.
    PeccaAdul
    edited November 2019
    edited September 2016
    Which is one of the reasons we probably moved over to buttons & mousewheel in v2.0+ The 'actionscroll' action works fine in those instances but all it is really doing is simulating pressing the buttons.

However, I used the quickloot slots in a list to create a scrollable (with scrollbar) quickloot in DUI++ so it is possible to have functioning slots in a list with a scrollbar.

@lefreut - if you are doing more research here's how I did that...

(NB - It's worth noting there is a known issue with the 0th slot because LUA starts counting from 1 not 0).

list
    	{
    		column 
    		{ 
    			width 310
    			button
    			{
    				area 5 0 52 52
    				bam STONSLOT
    				enabled "QLfilter(rowNumber) and QuicklootMode == UIStrings.UI_Advanced"
    				frame lua "loot.groundItems[rowNumber].item['frame']"
    				icon lua "loot.groundItems[rowNumber].item['icon']"
    				tint lua "loot.groundItems[rowNumber].item['tint']"
    				usages lua "loot.groundItems[rowNumber].item['usages']" --how many selected
    				count lua "loot.groundItems[rowNumber].item['count']" --How many to a stack
    				align center center
    			}

button
    			{
    				area 79 0 230 54
    				enabled "QLfilter(rowNumber) and QuicklootMode == UIStrings.UI_Advanced"
    				text lua "loot.groundItems[rowNumber].item['name']"
    				text style "normal"
    				text align left center
    			}
    		}
    		area 			4 10 318 -60
    		enabled 		"getSlotContainerId(0,'containerId') and QuicklootMode == UIStrings.UI_Advanced"
    		name 			"QLdisplayrows"
    		rowheight		dynamic
    		hidehighlight
    		table			"loot.groundItems"
    		var				"selectedLootItem"
    		scrollbar 		'GUISCRC'
    		scrollbar hide lua "getHeight()"
    		action
    		"
    			PickUpItem()
    			if #loot.groundItems == 0 then repositionQuickloot() end
    		"
    		actionAlt
    		"
    			QLSearchString = loot.groundItems[selectedLootItem].item['name']
    		"
    	}
    edited November 2019
    Ravenslight
    edited September 2016
    Yup - it can only cope with one element per line, I think... hence it's a list... It would be brilliant if the UI could cope with multiple elements per line - like an array rather than a list. That would benefit many UI screens.

EDIT: But that's one of the reasons I'd very much be in favour of changing the ground slots to quickloot slots (and it would work as ground slots are a subset of quickloot slots)
    So_LoW
  • AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002
    lefreut said:

Mr2150 said:

Which is one of the reasons we probably moved over to buttons & mousewheel in v2.0+ The 'actionscroll' action works fine in those instances but all it is really doing is simulating pressing the buttons.

In my opinion, it's a bad reason. They rewrite the UI code, they could have make it work like in the previous version.
    I concur. They're the ones with the source code, so they should be able to restore that mechanic if they choose to go in that direction.
    Ravenslight
    edited September 2016
    I'm not actually fussed either way however it's an assumption to think that they could have made it work like the previous version - this is a completely new UI and there may be something in the UI/engine that we are unaware of that prevents it.

For example, the crash to desktop bug on 'page 5' of the ground slots. With a scrollbar in action instead of pages and buttons, it might be that the bug presents itself more often or something - hence they might've made the decision to move to buttons from the scrollbar so that the issue is minimised. That's speculation on my part, but it could explain the decision.
    (The bug is easily reproduced... just drop 32 individual items into the ground slots of the inventory and you'll get a crash as soon as you scroll to the 5th page... )

I guess, as feedback to this process, it would also be useful to know if certain things were off the table or not possible....
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    I like it... but I'm not too keen on the double spacing between each line. Although separating the Armor Class Modifiers section with a double space, away from the main AC info, would be okay with me. Pardon if that's already been brought up. I haven't really been paying attention to this, more like waiting for the final iteration to appear.
    Danathion
    edited November 2019
    Ravenslightcmk24Danathion
  • ThelsThels Member Posts: 1,416
    @lefreut: That looks awesome, good job!

However, seeing the interface with an actual proper background, I have the feeling that the box containing "PAUSED" is a little too close to the side of the panel. I think it would feel easier on the eyes, if there was some space to the left in between the box and the edge of the interface screen.
    edited November 2019
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I’m fine with where it is. If moved over it shouldn’t be by much.
    DanathionAdul
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    So you mean that this won’t work on a BG installation, only a BGII one with the current patch?
    edited November 2019
    Ravenslight
    edited September 2016
    Great job @lefreut

It works well - I especially like how you extend/shrink the headers based on the appearance of the scrollbar.

The collapse/expand is clean... ;)

I did notice a bug here - but I suspect it's an engine/calculation issue on the comparison. I've just picked up a quarterstaff but something is odd with the damage calculation.

EDIT - Not a bug, it's because it's mainhand damage only and the +0 is an average....
    edited November 2019
    Yup - just made an edit as I realised the same. I guess this is what I meant when I said I would find average confusing :) In that instance, I would agree that it should be white because the average is 0, but agree that the line should still be shown because it's now a different range.

I think there is code to work out if the scrollbar is needed - I used something elsewhere which has a similar function, let me check how I did it.
    edited September 2016
    @lefreut

You can use 'scrollbar hide lua' in conjunction with 'scrollbar func' and 'scrollbar' ... so you will probably need some kind of check function that compares the content height to the box height to determine yes/no.

Infinity_GetListHeight('table') might also be useful.
    edited November 2019
    Mr2150
    edited November 2019
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,174
    Just as in the record screen discussion, I'll throw my mockups here if anyone wants to use them.

AdulDanathionJuliusBorisov