Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• ShnizmuffiNShnizmuffiN Member Posts: 16

we will be working on something a little extra for you.

As long as it starts with "Vorpal" and ends with "of Speed," I'm down with waiting.
    AndreaColomboDragonspearRythgarInsert_Boo
  • MorcarMorcar Member Posts: 3
    I'm glad to wait for the mac version of the game, because I have not pre-ordered.

I'm ok with this decision as I feel this game must be the best possible, but making this sad announcement only 4 day before launch, It's hard.
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135

@vonbek777 Actually I like the abruptness in which Trent did it. It's like ripping someone's bandaid off before they know whats happening. You would have complained no matter what, so...stop complaining. Style points to @TrentOster for a nice quick rip. I love it.

Actually, no I wouldn't have. I have lots of hoop jumping myself to do. I understand project management quite well in fact, and it is no fun being stuck in the middle. The new date for release is better for me and the wife anyhow. But a little communication or hint of a delay earlier, and the wife would not have been taking a week of leave off next week that we will now have to rush to undo before next week.
  • KirenDaesKirenDaes Member Posts: 1
    Well that sucks, I scheduled a vacation day to get started
    RazorGrandeC
  • MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    Better to make it better for release and ready, than to ship it without it being ready. I think that although some people might not like this, the final product could be much more appealing with the date pushed-back.

What is that little extra you're working on? :P

I don't suppose you found the art assets for the character models eh? The answer is no obviously but oh well :P
    AndreaColombo
  • navy_spitfirenavy_spitfire Member Posts: 4
    I just want to know why it's delayed 2+ months. Are they adding more stuff? Is it broken? Or is it two months of polish? I love Trent's twitter because he updates us constantly and tells us about progress, let's hope he continues to keep us in the loop about what is going on.
  • gfm50gfm50 Member Posts: 124
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Business wise though a good decision I think.
  • NiggeyNiggey Member Posts: 12
    2 1/2 months more waiting? That make me sad :(
    While I 100% agree that they should only ship the game if it's completly done and bug free, I 100% agree with the people who said that the communication should be better. It would be nice to know what they try to accomplish in the 2+ months, what they are currently working on etc.
    I know its difficult because of the contract etc. but at least a little bit more feedback would be nice.
    mch202LordsDarkKnight185Fluid29
  • junk11junk11 Member Posts: 117
    I just finished the games I was playing
    was looking forward to BGEE..but then...wow....so sad...
    that's really a long delay date with such short notice...
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    FFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-
    Flameguard27
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    @navy_spitfire

I don't think Trent is about to go silent about this, but I'm not sure if there will be specifics about the reasons for the delay.
  • TristisOrisTristisOris Member Posts: 7
    it is very .. unexpected news. I waited so long out, and suddenly have to wait .. but I hope BG will become even better than it was. for the birth of a legend does not have to hurry.
  • navy_spitfirenavy_spitfire Member Posts: 4
    @tanthalas

Yeah I'm just bummed about not being able to play till December...
  • SabotinSabotin Member Posts: 38
    It has to be because gog has BG on sale! :D

In all seriousness though I don't really mind it. Somehow I feel the player base you have here is more of the patient type :) .
    CleaveMFbM
  • Vonbek777Vonbek777 Member Posts: 135
    Jean_Luc said:

Vonbek777 said:

But a little communication or hint of a delay earlier, and the wife would not have been taking a week of leave off next week that we will now have to rush to undo before next week.

I don't think they withheld the info deliberately as that would serve no purpose.

They were probably struggling to meat the deadline (you can tell by the screenshot and UI preview coming out so late) but were still looking to release. However, people then asked for UI revisions and what not and with things already being hectic there was probably a period of confusion/denial/evaluation/negotiation and the final decision to postpone simply came late because everything was already late prior.

The length of the delay, I expect, is due to coding shenanigans (mostly).

Perhaps the level of interest has raised concerns about distribution as well.
  • KerozevokKerozevok Member Posts: 695
    If the result can be better (especially the GUI...), no problem for my part.
    RhulqdahrAndreaColombomister_ennuiLekian
  • DonnhartDonnhart Member Posts: 4
    I am pretty sure that most people are fine with, so i am. Only communicating it 4 days before release is annoying for all who preordered.
  • BG2BG2 Member Posts: 19
    I support you guys, Trent. Take another 6 months if you need it, I trust you will put out the absolute best version you know how to make and I'm sure you really want to get it right, so forget about the complainers and crack your whip harder on your boys, haha.

Seriously.
    Fluid29
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122

I just want to know why it's delayed 2+ months. Are they adding more stuff? Is it broken? Or is it two months of polish? I love Trent's twitter because he updates us constantly and tells us about progress, let's hope he continues to keep us in the loop about what is going on.

I'd imagine they chose 2 1/2 months so that they wouldn't have to make this announcement again in 1 and 1/2 months
    mch202JalilyAedan
  • ThimGrimThimGrim Member Posts: 75
    Vonbek777 said:

When it simply became obvious that they wouldn't

That's the most important here- "when". It is obvious that they didn't noticed today or yesterday "oops, I think we won't get it for 18.09". And it was also almost obvious that they won't release it on 18th because of "preview" they got. That is of course joke because there was no preview except some screenshots (9!) and few artworks. I don't know any game studio with wouldn't want to "glory" their product week (or much more like month(s)) by some trailer, video, etc.

I thnik it won't even be ready by the end of this year... :>

Brude
  • TinnedKoboldTinnedKobold Member Posts: 2
    Rushing things of such complexity is never the right choice to make, my personal disappointment in a delay is negligible compared to how a buggy and ham-fisted release would make me feel, so heres hoping for the most enriching BG experience possible!
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    edited September 2012
    nov 30th, ouch, much longer than i figured :(

This is just another example of why I should stop preordering things...
    CyricistBrudeGrandeCP6345uk
This discussion has been closed.