Skip to content

Lost that Loving Feeling...

When I first played BG2 back in the day (gosh, was that 17 years ago?) I didn't even know there were romances in the game. I sort of stumbled into one with Aerie and saw it through to the end and a bouncing baby boy. It was a nice touch to the game when it happened.

In the years since though, as I've tried to make my way through the other romances, I've found them to be...annoying. As Alan Quartermain said in League of Extraordinary Gentlemen:

"My dear girl, I've buried two wives and many lovers... and I'm in no mood for more of either."

Now that I'm much older, I find the notion that a serious relationship can occur like that in a matter of weeks during a chase to the death followed by a massive war to be...unlikely to say the best.

Then there's Siege of Dragonspear which covers an even shorter amount of time and a game in which nearly every man and woman you meet wants to sleep with you within literally hours or days of meeting you. It's actually unnerving and creepy.

Can't we just go kill the bad guys?

Not sure if I'm the only one who feels like at least some of these romances are there just to be there and get in the way. Maybe someone will make a mod that takes out all the romances if you don't want them. If anyone knows of one please let me know.

Comments

• gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    I always thought in game romances were kind of stupid. I never really attempted any of them before, and only recently did I even let one happen (with Viconia in BGII). I was unimpressed. The good thing is you can just tell the NPCs that you're not interested and that's the end of it.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Well, let's consider that all romances start as friendship talks, and that kind of interaction is what I like the most in the game. Perhaps if they did it like in Ps:T , where every npc has something interesting to say and enthralling dialogues, romances wouldn't be that necessary?
  • BaptorBaptor Member Posts: 341
    DJKajuru said:

Well, let's consider that all romances start as friendship talks, and that kind of interaction is what I like the most in the game. Perhaps if they did it like in Ps:T , where every npc has something interesting to say and enthralling dialogues, romances wouldn't be that necessary?

Absolutely! I loved the PST talks as well. You often went deep into their past and pain, their...torment if you will ;). The devs of BG2 and Dragonspear must've thought any deep conversation must lead to sex. =/
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    @LavaDelVortel Here's some people with opinons on romances...
    edited September 2016
    @Baptor , when you say that smart people wouldn't have a romance in times of crisis it makes me wanna ask you what type of intelligence you are talking about. Logically speaking you wouldn't get attached , but when it comes to emotional intelligence it might be a necessary outlet to do the exact opposite, I suppose.
    In real life I understand that, if I were studying for a hard test, it would be better to just focus and be on my own. But I would also seriously take breaks and hug my boyfriend or talk about my doubts on the test, as us humans are social species.

In SoD I understand that the romances are rushed, but I don't think they're *that* out of character because the dialogues follow as you advance through the game. In BG2 the romances may have certain flaws, but they're designed to make you help the npc grow as a person , and I believe that that kind of experience is much more rewarding than most quests in the game.

As I suggested before, Torment has way richer dialogues (and one very shy romance) , so I believe the devs should definitely learn from these . I respect your opinion , though. Perhaps in this matter we're both sides of a coin?
    DJKajuru said:

@Baptor , when you say that smart people wouldn't have a romance in times of crisis it makes me wanna ask you what type of intelligence you are talking about. Logically speaking you wouldn't get attached , but when it comes to emotional intelligence it might be a necessary outlet to do the exact opposite, I suppose.
    In real life I understand that, if I were studying for a hard test, it would be better to just focus and be on my own. But I would also seriously take breaks and hug my boyfriend or talk about my doubts on the test, as us humans are social species.

In SoD I understand that the romances are rushed, but I don't think they're *that* out of character because the dialogues follow as you advance through the game. In BG2 the romances may have certain flaws, but they're designed to make you help the npc grow as a person , and I believe that that kind of experience is much more rewarding than most quests in the game.

As I suggested before, Torment has way richer dialogues (and one very shy romance) , so I believe the devs should definitely learn from these . I respect your opinion , though. Perhaps in this matter we're both sides of a coin?

Yes, I'm referring to logic. And in your example you'd be consulting your boyfriend that you already have, not starting a brand new relationship with a stranger during finals week. That's the difference, IMO.

As far as SOD, we'd have to agree to disagree. They make no sense to me....unless we are going with the Wheel of Time ta'veren thing. That is because you are a child of Bhaal you have some kind of otherworldly magnetism that makes otherwise stable people abandon traditions and logic to follow you and perhaps get closer still. I could see that but they never really mention it.

I agree about SOA. The first time you play it the romances seem really important. It's the replays where it gets stale.

Yes to Torment. In that shy romance you speak of we see the "supernatural" romance I mentioned earlier play out well. Both females admit once you've had them in the party for awhile they are inexplicably drawn to you because of the way you are affecting the Planes. One of them manages to keep composure despite temptation. The other, being a bit more unstable, gives in a little to that temptation. But it never turns into anything, because NO has no time for such things. He's racing against the clock and the shadows that hunt him to find out the truth BEFORE ITS TOO LATE (queue music). To me, it all made sense.

But then again Torment has the advantage of having a set path for the protagonist. In BG you can play any race/sex/class you want and so multiple paths had to be created that don't always make the best sense.

I respect you as well and have enjoyed your perspective on this issue. And yes I'd say we are two sides of the same coin. Preferably an electrum piece. ;)
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Is demonstrated that when in situations of great peril the 2 most important instincts of the human race, survival and reproduction, get stronger. To be studying for a hard test has nothing to do with that, it can eventually cause some stress, that is detrimental for sexual desire, but is not a peril, don't affect your survival chance in very short times.
    There are quite self evident evolutionary reasons for that, and specie survival is also the reason why sex and feeding are so prevalent in our mental life (if S. Freud is not completely wrong...).
    Charname and his lonely harts club band risk constantly to be killed the next day, and in RL soldiers in battles situations use brothels much more than would do in peace situations.

Imo is perfectly logical that romances happen in the quest for that only reason, as romance is the way that our specie use to grant sex, so the specie survival, other species, but not all the other species, are much more direct about sex.

I am not saying that we are completely dominated by sex and that romance does not have an inherent value, is not so, but the fact that in peril the sexual desire rises is widely reported and quite demonstrated.
    edited September 2016

I couldn't resist. :)
  • KilivitzKilivitz Member Posts: 1,459
    edited September 2016
    I believe romances are a nice addition to a game like BG2 if used with moderation. I don't like Beamdog's approach of making practically every new NPC romanceable. I wish all those manhours spent on writing those went to party banters.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think the reason why romances were implemented back in SoA was because this was back in 1999/2000 and it kind of give it a bit more flare, it made the game feel a bit more alive and immersive, remember back in those days, they didn't have the awesome cool graphics that we have no ideas, so programmers had to be creative when they made game content for lack of things they could do

back then, having romances in a game was kind of a neat concept because it was new, and it was quite fitting in bg2,

but no adays, it seems that romances are just shoved in games for the lols, and it seems to be a something that has to be implemented are else people are going to freak out

in my opinion, if you want a romance, go out into the real world and find somebody, and if you do, be grateful, be happy and be with them instead of a bunch of 1s and 0s
  • socatasocata Member Posts: 6
    I really like some romance in bg/bg2.

Considering you need almost 300 hours to pass the whole game,it's not that annoying to have 20 or 40 min of romance.

For me what I really like about bg is that he build a world to our player. if you only want to kill bad enemy, Diablo or other 3a game may more suit you.

What I really feel bad about bg, it's I would like to have more story about our teammates.
    edited September 2016
    Is the same position that I have about, and as I play only BG2 for me is even worst, as I know every possible romance.
    But I enjoy playing them at least one time, now I am in my first EE run and romancing Neera, in not EE is years that I was only romancing jaheira, and only for that pin...

EDIT: what I like of jaheira's character is the fact that you can drop her only one time. The fact that all the NPCs are so willing to follow you for a quest that is your quest is quite not realistic. the fact that you can drop them and take them multiple times break all the realism, they are people, not puppets.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited September 2016
    DJKajuru said:

In PST, you can romance NPCs though...

http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Annah
    http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Fall-from-Grace
    The end result is basically getting a smooch (the smooch from FfG kills you) and some dialogue at the end of the game.
  • KuronaKurona Member Posts: 881
    PST is a game about talking. Really there are fights here and there but the bulk of the game involves talking to people.

Baldur's Gate are games mostly centered around the fantastic concept of killing. You kill lots and lots of things in these games and when you don't, it's likely because you're talking to someone who will give you a quest leading to more mass murder. Romances happen in the form of banter interrupting whatever you are doing at the moment, which often means you're just done killing shit.

What I'm trying to say is that when you decide to play BG, you're not necessarily in the right mindset to enjoy romance. A lot of people play this game for the dungeon crawling/hack'n'slash aspect to the detriment of RP (something the game itself encourages sadly), and when you do that, romances (and banter in general) are just irritating wastes of time.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

DJKajuru said:

In PST, you can romance NPCs though...

http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Annah
    http://torment.wikia.com/wiki/Fall-from-Grace
    The end result is basically getting a smooch (the smooch from FfG kills you) and some dialogue at the end of the game.
    but pst does not have what people would call traditional romaces. chris a. does not like those so all you get with annah is a kiss and it's never brought up again.
    More than a videogame, BG is a RPG , which means that we create characters who are supposed to live a story , instead of just killing monsters. And yes, romances are part of the choices for that story .

Many parents even lie to their children, telling them that they are born inside cabbages or other silly tings.

Haha...what?

I don't feel like wasting time in a dialogue tree with some NPC who might turn on me if I click the incorrect response option.

Kurona said:

Romances happen in the form of banter interrupting whatever you are doing at the moment, which often means you're just done killing shit.

These comments neatly capture what I feel is my legitimate complaint. The romances are annoying because sometimes messing one up doesn't just mean no wedding bells, it means losing a character who might be really useful. We can argue all day about how realistic it is, but this is a game and it's really annoying.

The second complaint is how they are handled. The romance banter is often an annoying interruption of the game. I might be nervously navigating my way through a dungeon laden with traps when Jaheria chimes in talking about taking walks on the beach or some nonsense. Maybe getting it on during a long adventure is "human instinct" but talking about what we should put on the wedding registry is not when we are buffing for the dragon fight. And even if it is realistic...it's still annoying. My argument here is that romances need to be done better than they are now and it might even be nice to, going forward, make them even more part of the game. Remember the cutscenes with the dreams? Those only happened when you slept and weren't annoying interruptions. Maybe the romances could be done the same? I think that's a fine idea.

I played around with in-game romances a little all those years ago in BG2. They were interesting because at the time most video games (at least the ones I played) didn't have those at all. These days, I find in-game romances to be a waste of time--I want to explore places, fight back against things which are attacking me, and track down the dirty dog which did whatever awful thing it was they did me to start the game plot in the first place.

Kurona said:

PST is a game about talking. Really there are fights here and there but the bulk of the game involves talking to people.

What I'm trying to say is that when you decide to play BG, you're not necessarily in the right mindset to enjoy romance. A lot of people play this game for the dungeon crawling/hack'n'slash aspect to the detriment of RP (something the game itself encourages sadly), and when you do that, romances (and banter in general) are just irritating wastes of time.

These comments, on the other hand, represent my subjective complaint. When I first played BG2, the romances were kinda neat. Now that I'm on my 100th run, I am more interested in the main story: the escape, the chase, the confrontation. The romances only get in the way. Now not everyone agrees and of course there are the newcomers who need to experience that, and that's cool, I don't want the romances taken out. But it would be nice if there was an option to get rid of them or a mod that does the same.
    Baptor said:

Many parents even lie to their children, telling them that they are born inside cabbages or other silly tings.

Haha...what?
    That was (and still is) used in Italy.
    "mommy, from where did I come from?"
    "I found you in a cabbage in the garden dear"

But I suppose that in other countries similar silly things are used.

An other lie that I witnessed the consequences is
    "when the father kisses the mother a little seed pass from his mouth to her mouth and then descends to her belly"
    and I know for sure of a little girl that, having been kissed on the mouth by her little boyfriend, had a couple of weeks of nightmare, because she believed she was pregnant...
    Only when she, crying, finally told to her mother of her "guilty" she finally knew that nothing had happened and how actually babies are generated.

About the romance banters triggering in the most disturbing and unrealistic situations I think that is because they are scripted to not trigger in areas flagged like dungeons, but other way only depending on their timers and other conditions. And that was done to prevent those things.
    The problem is that not the battles happen in dungeons and, to a minor extent, that not all the dungeons are flagged as so.

The stork lye is well known in Italy now, but not traditional, maybe because storks coming and going with the change of season are more a thing of countries located more north than Italy.
    What is common is the taboo on sex, shared by almost every western culture.
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352

What is common is the taboo on sex, shared by almost every western culture.

It's because the western culture is based on christian culture. There are evidence that many pre-christian societies had a much less rigid view on sexuality. But that's a whole other topic ofc.

I agree, the only thing that is relevant to this topic is to see how the sex is addressed in the romances with much more caution than the one used about assassinating innocent people.