Skip to content

Comet DOES affect party members!

11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
This is a problem that I actually noticed back in the day too. I remember seeing in the description back in the original editions in the description that comet didn't affect party members, but it indeed does.

Can anyone check this with an actual handbook of D&D 2nd edition to see if this is accurate? Is comet not supposed to affect party members? Because it's annoying.

Comments

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Have you gpt any mods installed? Because as far as I know it does not affect party members at all.
    mf2112JuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Were any party members charmed when your Comet struck? The Comet projectile should never touch your party.
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • 11302101130210 Member Posts: 381
    Nope, I'm completely sure comet affects my party members. Hmm...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    RaduzielelminsterMERLANCE
  • lunarlunar Member Posts: 3,460
    Care to share a screenshot of comet damaging uncharmed party members?

There is no official Comet spell in ad&d AFAIK it is homebrew. And yeah it makes little sense that it is party friendly, but it is high level magic. Dragon breath may make sense being party friendly, as the disembodied dragon head may be breathing fire only on enemies, but a falling comet should strike pretty much everything. Not that I am offering it to change, it is already quite weaker than Dragon breath, (lower damage, does not bypass mr) and if it is party unfriendly too, it becomes quite rubbish. (Not vanilla meteor swarm level, but still...)
    edited September 2016
    lunar said:

Care to share a screenshot of comet damaging uncharmed party members?

There is no official Comet spell in ad&d AFAIK it is homebrew. And yeah it makes little sense that it is party friendly, but it is high level magic. Dragon breath may make sense being party friendly, as the disembodied dragon head may be breathing fire only on enemies, but a falling comet should strike pretty much everything. Not that I am offering it to change, it is already quite weaker than Dragon breath, (lower damage, does not bypass mr) and if it is party unfriendly too, it becomes quite rubbish. (Not vanilla meteor swarm level, but still...)

I agree. But I think it should be changed to represent what it actually does. Not that this is a triple A title, but...

I like to think this game would still hold a candle to games like Pillars of Eternity. Baldur's Gate is better than that game anyway. I'm just saying let it be fixed for continuity sake and for the sake of professionalism.

IF this WAS a triple A game it would be fixed. I like my Baldur's Gate! No one can toucheses my BALDUR'S GATESES! Lol, I'm saying let's all try to make this game better in ALL aspects. Beamdog may not have as much resources as places like Obsidian Entertainment and Bethesda, but I still want to help out.
    MERLANCE
  • gugulug5000gugulug5000 Member Posts: 248
    It isn't working as intended. Someone has already reported it to Red Mine. I only know this because I noticed this issue when I was playing so I went to report it and noticed that someone already beat me to it. It would be nice if this current patch could come out already so some of these issues could get taken care of...

Here's where it was reported before: http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/23919
    JuliusBorisov
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    well, in the meantime you can try this file out, just place it in your override folder and now it should not affect your party members

you will have to unzip it first ( wouldn't let me just give you the base file)
    JuliusBorisov1130210
  • ariakas2ariakas2 Member Posts: 80
    yes it affects party members indeed. The projectile of comet is not flagged as "does not affect party members"
    semiticgoddessMontresor_SP
  • RawgrimRawgrim Member Posts: 621
    the mage is using magic to make a rock fall from space and onto the battlefield. The rock itself is not magic and will not distinguish between friend or foe.
    [Deleted User]semiticgoddess
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    I think it more supposed to be the fact that comet and dragon's breath are level 10 mage spells, and that is supposed to be one of their quarks, because lets face it, if comet and dragon's breath hurt party members why wouldn't you just use ADhW unless you are an illusionist

and better yet, over a couple of rounds incendiary cloud deals more damage than comet and dragon's breath does as well, so those 2 spells had to have something go for them

indeed in the vanilla game, comet and dragon's breath did not hurt allies, so for some bizarre reason it seems like a intentional change, or perhaps it's a strange bug?
    semiticgoddess
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    To be fair, metamagic stuff in PnP allows you to add little holes to area-effect spells so they avoid hurting your allies. We're talking about mages who can cast Wish, after all. A little craziness is to be expected.
    sarevok57ThacoBell
  • Sort of makes sense anyway, how are you going to slam a huge comet down on the heads of your enemies, and somehow avoid you fighter buddy who is standing two feet away?

Magic?
    sarevok57Montresor_SPThacoBell
    Montresor_SP
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919

Sort of makes sense anyway, how are you going to slam a huge comet down on the heads of your enemies, and somehow avoid you fighter buddy who is standing two feet away?

Magic?
    Don't be silly, magic isn't real.
    Unfortunately it appears I am going to be disappointed by this exact thing in Doctor Strange. I was really looking forward to it until I read Kevin Feige saying that it was going to end up being science based and not simply 'magic'. Now I may not even see it.
    sarevok57 said:

well, in the meantime you can try this file out, just place it in your override folder and now it should not affect your party members

you will have to unzip it first ( wouldn't let me just give you the base file)

Thank you. That's very kind of you.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    A fix for this bug is available as the part of the Choice Tweaks by @Tresset.
  • jamiehavokjamiehavok Member Posts: 11
    Just got to the point in bgii where i got comet and it still affects party members when the description says otherwise! I'm all up for more of a challenge but can we at least change the description so it doesn't say it doesn't affect party members! lol
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    There still hasn't been a patch for BGII:EE, @jamiehavok . The bug is planned to be fixed in the 2.5 patch.