Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• quinnoxquinnox Member Posts: 3
    I fully support this decision. I was not happy with the screenshots of the new UI they released, and hopefully they will work on it with this time (hint: bring the old BG classic style stone interface back, or give an option for it!)

That said, a recently released rpg game I'm playing right now reminds me of Baldur's Gate, called Inquisitor. An old school, deep and complex rpg, I recommend it as a stopgap in the meantime!

• AdulAdul Member Posts: 2,002

Seriously? We're a few days from release date and now you announce that you need not a few days or heck, even a week for the release but a friggin' 6 weeks?!?

How did you arrive on that number? No matter how I do my math I get 11 weeks (from now).
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    edited September 2012
    This is just ridiculous, I hope this does not turn into another Duke Nukem where they want everything to be perfect and it takes ten years and ends up being crap because they spent too much time trying to make a masterpiece. More time does NOT mean a better product, history has shown this.

It also does not fill me with much confidence in their ability if the problem is technical issues considering how old the game is and how low tech it is that even modders can produce new content easily for it.

Either way, Im disappointed and am lowering my expectations, at this point Im just hoping for an experience comparable with the original game, because they cant mess that up, right?
  • MoiraMoira Member Posts: 173
    Much respect to the devs for taking the needed time to finish the game. I'm looking forward to Nov 30th to fully appreciate their hard work.

@Rajick you'll need that entertainment much more after the wee one is born :) May everything go well for you and your family!
  • No biggie, vacation day moved!
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    @VampQueen31 - You haven't really read any posts before yours, have you?
  • TazokTazok Member Posts: 34
    Im a sad panda, but hey, ive been a Blizzard/Bioware fan since diablo 1/BG1 so a delay like this is the same as waiting for the first delay to even get announced from those guys. I always think "this is the time we get a good game quickly" but I dont think its possible. Id prefer to get a good game than to get the game quickly

@VampQueen31 - You haven't really read any posts before yours, have you?

I did, they seem mostly filled with knee-jerk fanboy like defense of Overhaul Games. Yes, we all love the original product, but its Bioware/BIS that earned my trust, not beamdog. All I've seen from them is unforgivable missed release days and alot of promises.
  • DrunkPunkDrunkPunk Member Posts: 1
    there's really no excuse for waiting this long for something they obviously knew they would have to do. having firsthand knowledge of how production on a title works, this is just sloppy, disrespectful to the customers, and in my eyes a quick grab for more last minute preorders. sure, it takes guts to push back a title, but it's just plain lazy to wait until the last minute. and that crap about getting approval to inform us about this just goes to show how off the ball they were to begin with.

i know some people can't help but defend the devs, especially those working closely with them (i'm sure there's no personal reasons behind defending them, at all), but as an unbiased consumer who is now seeking a refund, i can easily say that this delay wouldn't have mattered a bit to me had it been brought to my attention within a reasonable time frame.

i think vampqueen said it best, when actions like this do a lot to lower expectations, hence why i feel my 17 dollars is best served to someone else.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    @AndreaColombo and @CamDawg,

Thanks for your imput, guys. It helps those of us who are frustrated, but not mad, understand what is going on.

That said, I am a bit worried. I have a baby coming 12/29, and expect to do no more gaming after that for quite some time. That means, barring no more delays, I have 1 month to get through the game.
  • Wonderboy2402Wonderboy2402 Member Posts: 121
    I don't have a problem with a delay. In fact, I expected some delay due to the challenge of cramming all the deliciousness into a game built for windows 95. I been waiting for fresh content for more then a decade, a few more months isn't a big deal. =]

Plus, we get something extra, OOOOOO?!
  • ZwiebelchenZwiebelchen Member Posts: 86
    Well ... with 2 more months of time, Let's hope we can get more new content... I don't think it would be a problem to create banters and interjections between the BG1 original characters within those 2 months.

In the AMA, one said that it doesn't offend the contracts, but that they just didn't have the time to write dialogues... now they do, or am I wrong?
  • flare100flare100 Member Posts: 9
    Not impressed with this being announced at the very last minute.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited September 2012
    @TrentOster I have not pre-ordered yet. What are Beamdogs plans on how long the pre-order discount will be offered now that the game has been delayed?
  • zdsdeadzdsdead Member Posts: 8
    hmmmmm,. this is worrying news. to take nearly an extra 3 months to complete worries me. To tell me that my pre order date will not be honored is also worrying. I have taken time off work for this, and to be told on a friday night a few days before release is really bad PR. Granted I dont want another Stronghold 3/ sword in the stars debacle, but the amount of notice is to be quite frank pathetic, and the email that I was sent made it sound like they were doing me a favour, by putting the game back. tis not good IMHO :-(
  • Avenger_teambgAvenger_teambg Member, Developer Posts: 5,862

I'm calling it now. In exchange for the delay, we will be getting a 4th new NPC for free at release.

You heard it here first folks. Take it to the bank.

Yeah, sure :D I guess you think, the devs just got a lot of free time to implement a 4th NPC.
  • DiscoCatDiscoCat Member Posts: 73
    That's ok. I'll occupy myself with Black Mesa and Torchlight II until the release.
  • LinkamusLinkamus Member Posts: 221
    edited September 2012
    Too much negativity in this thread. Gamers are way too impatient! We are going to be getting a better game for 2 months of your time sitting on your butt playing guild wars 2 or whatever.
  • BubbleboyBubbleboy Member Posts: 68
    I guess it's okey, the release date was kind of quick comparing to to the number of people actuially in the team.
    I just wish they would tell us what exactly caused the delay.
    Bug fixing?
    Engine fixing?
    Content adding?
    Voice-set changing?
    etc.
  • ZinodinZinodin Member Posts: 153
    edited September 2012
    Can't they release a beta-version then? :( And we can over-write it 2 months later?
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Its understandable that people wouldn't like hearing about a delay so close to the release date, but it was the better option.
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455

Well ... with 2 more months of time, Let's hope we can get more new content... I don't think it would be a problem to create banters and interjections between the BG1 original characters within those 2 months.

In the AMA, one said that it doesn't offend the contracts, but that they just didn't have the time to write dialogues... now they do, or am I wrong?

@Zwiebelchen I truly hope you are right, it would be such a great thing!!!

• TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    Zinodin said:

Can't they release a beta-version then? :( And we can over-write it 2 months later?

A beta version like the one we're testing would basically be the same as releasing the full game.
    edited September 2012

I did, they seem mostly filled with knee-jerk fanboy like defense of Overhaul Games.

I'm sorry you feel that way. We're merely reporting our first-hand experience working with the devs on the beta. Many of us are the same modders that brought you the mods you love for the originals, so I guess they would know if BG:EE was an epic fail. They're no Overhaul employees and may stop beta testing any time if they didn't like what they saw. I still think the devs deserve some trust. Or would you rather get a buggy product next week?

Im not doubting you, but Im not working with the devs, so im completely unbiased. I loved the original products though i have no input or anything in the EE process so you'll have to forgive me if I dont have the same faith as you who has seen the game already. As a consumer all I see is they keep missing release dates on a very old game and making many promises without showing anything for it. They have not earned my trust like Bioware did, maybe after BG:EE comes out and its as great as the other Volunteers and you say it is then my trust will be earned with future products.

I get the passion the Devs and people like you are putting into the product, but the simple fact of game development is no game will ever be perfect, so yes I'd rather they just got their act together and released the game and patched the problems they have with it later. Most gamers never expect a bug free game at launch, just a playable one. Still this isnt some brand new game, its an old game, it shouldnt be giving them so much problems.

At this point Im considering a refund until the game actually does come out, as I said, and its nothing personal, its just being unbiased from never even hearing of them before this.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Not on the board for 3-1/2 hours and suddenly a postponed date and already 8 pages full of comments.

I agree on the decision: better wait for a polished product. The screenshot with some obvious things-not-right (the graphic glitch, the line on the right not extending to below like the left one, the still un-functional clock), gave me the impression the team was working very very hard to iron things out before the 18th. In reality, they've been busy negotiating the much-needed postponement it seems. Mind, no critisism is meant here, I understand that under the contract the other parties also have to agree.

Right now I'll take a fix against the withdrawal syndroms by looking forward to finish maybe some more of the BG Tutu & SOA campaigns I'm playing, to have a more clean sleet in november (while Trent Oster is managing releasing a game, I'm busy with 2 CHARNAME's campaigning against Sarevok, 4 against Irenicus and 2 whole parties take on Poquelin).
  • DrGermDrGerm Member Posts: 29
    take your time
This discussion has been closed.