Skip to content

Open Letter - Request for termination of this forum account

kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
edited October 2016 in Off-Topic
Recently in this thread, for the arguments traded there, i received the following punishment:

While i hold a very personal position that most "here" does not agree, the biased interpretations made in this warining let it clear that dissents aren't allowed in this space (or probally when presented to specific people). While i don't pretend to hold every thruth, i trully believe in the path i'm following.

For better or worst, i believe that the immediate termination of this forum account and the following closure of this thread is in the best interest of every party. Therefore, i make this request openly as way to say goodbye to some forum mates that kept togheter for almost 5 years and manifest my discontent with the politcs adopted by the management, represented above. The Edit profile doesn't allow us unsubscription.

I believe to be a potestative right of mine, the request of terminate my forum account, and therefore, i will wait for the comply of the representatives of beamdog company.

With the best regards;

Kamuizin.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I honestly don't understand why you're upset. The warning given to you has nothing at all to do with your personal position and everything to do with the way you put that position forward - in particular the language you use to describe other people.

I won't claim to have read all the relevant posts about Mizhena and associated issues, but I've read a lot and I fully accept that there's considerable wrong on both sides in the way positions are put forward. I would therefore expect similar warnings to that above to have been given to others posting on the same thread.

I believe it is not only justified, but necessary to take such action. If that is not done then posts can quickly get into a spiral of abuse where people respond to real or perceived insults on themselves. That can easily turn a Forum community that is knowledgeable and supportive of each other into one where posts become painful rather than pleasurable to read ...
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Kamuizin: the freedom of expression, speech whatnot does not stop you from being a bigot.

A freedom will not intrinsically invest you with a sense of responsibility.

But in case you are a bigot, do not decry being told that by some convention of minimal manners and kindness it is wrong.

It is that freedom of expression telling you what you were telling in slurs, no less.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • TStaelTStael Member Posts: 861
    Shandyr said:

Actually what many forum users do not understand is:
    There is NO FREE SPEECH on this forum.

Because when you sign up here you declare that you agree to the Terms of Service and the Site rules.
    And according to those the moderators can limit your "rights of free speech".

As said above - if you think "free speech" is about being a bigot without told off - you are wrong I think.

The free speech encompasses to equal measure someone expressing that bigotry is wrong, and morally reprehensible.

I have said once or twice here things I regret - but that regret did not need any formal cencure to be felt. So to demand freedom without any responsibility, I cannot see how it would improve these fora.
  • mashedtatersmashedtaters Member Posts: 2,266
    I understand how you feel, @kamuizin .
    But these forums have become a sort of safe haven on the Internet for a lot of us, especially when the Internet is already a mean and verbally abusive place. If it weren't for the moderators here who enforce the "be excellent to each other" rule, I wouldn't want to be here, and I think I'm right when I say others feel the same.
    I work in the trades, where verbal abuse and even screaming is the norm, and I have had to correct myself for things I have said or even shouted as part of the "working mask" I wear; regardless of my professional life, I have no desire to make that apart of my leisure life.
    There are definitely some sensitive topics and thus sensitive people here on the forums. But being part of a community means working together and responding to correction.
    You seem like a good person, @kamuizin . I like your posts and hope to see you post some more.
    Aerakargorgonzola
  • Yulaw9460Yulaw9460 Member Posts: 634
    kamuizin said:

The Edit profile doesn't allow us unsubscription.

Not really wanting to get into the whole debate, I did however notice that. Why can't we delete our profiles, anyway? Why should we have to ask for it? Not that I'm planning on deleting anything myself, but if I really wanted to leave, why would I want admins to play judge and jury?

We would not delete your account to deprive you a right to return.

That's nice, but that doesn't really address what the man said.
    gorgonzola
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @Yulaw9460 Eh, what internet services offer self-service account deletion?
    Pteran
    Lemme get this straight. You're asking me which webpages with account creation are also offering the possibility to delete the account after said account's creation. Is that about right?
    @Yulaw9460 Yes, that's right. You speak as if this forum is somehow oddball in this, but I think it's very common.
    Dee said:

There are a host of easier, safer alternatives to deleting your account.

Which is? I've never heard about an alternative to deleting the account which actually does what he asks for.
    @Yulaw9460 Just don't sign on like he said.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Yulaw9460 said:

Dee said:

Which is? I've never heard about an alternative to deleting the account which actually does what he asks for.
    For unsubscribing, go into your notification preferences and turn everything off. In your profile settings make sure your email is set to private. Then just don't visit the site. The end result is exactly the same, and doesn't involve permanently deleting your account.
    FinneousPJJuliusBorisovsemiticgoddess
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    The answer to your question, Yulaw9460, no to get into debate, as you've said, is that the current Vanilla forum software used on this site doesn't allow it.

I'd like to point out that the OP hasn't visited the forum since the date of that post, i.e. has done exactly what is written in this thread.

So probably the question whether the alternative is fine (enough), or not, is better left for some point in the future.
    FinneousPJ
    Dee said:

Yulaw9460 said:

Dee said:

For unsubscribing, go into your notification preferences and turn everything off. In your profile settings make sure your email is set to private. Then just don't visit the site. The end result is exactly the same, and doesn't involve permanently deleting your account.
    Which isn't what he asked for, right?
    @Yulaw9460 Oh I see, you just want to be difficult instead of looking for a solution.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak

The answer to your question, Yulaw9460, no to get into debate, as you've said, is that the current Vanilla forum software used on this site doesn't allow it.

I'd like to point out that the OP hasn't visited the forum since the date of that post, i.e. has done exactly what is written in this thread.

So probably the question whether the alternative is fine (enough), or not, is better left for some point in the future.

Yeah, that's fine. But if I ever got so pissed about a forum that I'd want my entire history deleted, I'd expect that to be respected.

@Yulaw9460 Oh I see, you just want to be difficult instead of looking for a solution.

Well, if the solutions being presented aren't really solutions, sure. Let's just call that being "difficult". I've been called worse on Saturday nights out on the town. I'll live.

But that still doesn't really address the issue.
    Interesting to see that it went from "wouldn't want to delete" to "can't", by the way. ;)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Just to clarify - the software doesn't allow users themselves to delete accounts, but moderators can do. In this case it was decided not to press the terminate button.
This discussion has been closed.