Skip to content

If you cannot install the EE or SoD on Mac OS Sierra

BoBo Member Posts: 3
edited January 2017 in Troubleshooting
I tried to install BGII enhanced edition downloading the launcher from the website, but the launcher does not start.

It says: "It looks like you are unable to write to the current location. Please copy the game to your Applications Directory, or some other writeable location".

I tried to install it on the Applications folder and on my user Application folder, as well as in the desktop but the same message is always displayed. I suspect there is an issue with the permissions in the new version of Mac OS.

I am running the latest version Mac OS 10.12

The Siege of Dragonspear that I had already installed updated without problems instead.
Post edited by JuliusBorisov on

Comments

• duthiedduthied Member Posts: 1
    Ran into this as well :(

Same version of OSX - though I didn't have any previous versions.
  • StefanOStefanO Member Posts: 346
    Same here.

Both launcher and the game itself are normally installed in the Application folder which Is writable to any user who is a member of the admin group. I'm an admin on my Mac and I can install other apps without problems.

Has anybody tried to call Beamdog support?
  • KenyonKenyon Member Posts: 142
    edited September 2016
    Same issue. Why is that report for a "minor" bug though? The game becomes impossible to install on any new Mac. Seems pretty major to me.

EDIT: Or is it up to them to sort out the importance?
    EDIT 2: They changed it.
    Post edited by Kenyon on
    @StefanO @duthied @Bo

Although it's not a fix, I found out how to bypass this (this works on BG:EE but I assume it's the same for all other games): Right Click + Show Package Contents on the file, navigate to Contents/MacOS, then run the executable in there. It's downloading as I'm writing this.
    edited September 2016
    I tried that too. After a while the transfer stopped with something like "to many connections" and since than I'm no longer able to download anything.

Luckily I found an older BG2EE copy in a time machine backup, but that's not possible for everone.
    @StefanO Exactly the same thing as you, unfortunately. I have no backup, so I'm stuck. I hope that Beamdog makes this a number one priority (they wouldn't even have to update the game, just the installers).
    @GreenWarlock Bingo. That solves the problem. Thank you so much.

Kenyon
    Almost for me - it does install again, but when the bar is full it still says "Waiting to download". Restarting the launcher simply gives me "Waiting for the download to start".
    edited September 2016
    @Kenyon

Same here.

Since we both played with the package content: It would be interesting to know if @duthied or @Bo can now install BG2EE.

BTW, Beamdog changed the status of our bug report from new to submitted. The title is now Bug #26828: Mac launchers should run correctly on macOS 10.12. There is hope.
    Kenyon
    Hopefully they'll test it all the way through - I was so hopeful when that installer hit 100%. When it wouldn't start anyway, the sadness was real.
  • BoBo Member Posts: 3
    Cannot test right now; I will try later and post the result...
  • BoBo Member Posts: 3
    An update: I tried the procedure with the "install anywhere" option. The first attempt at downloading failed around 98%.

But then a second attempt was successful. So now the game is installed in its latest version and working fine for me.
    StefanOJuliusBorisovmf2112lolien
  • LJMLJM Member Posts: 1
    My setting were already at "install anywhere"the support people from beamdog are no help they just give me attitude. the issue has gone on for a almost 2 weeks. I don t have a back up, I deleted the app because I thought it might be corrupt. now I cant even download an app I have paid for that. beamdog is aware of the issue but dont care enough to find a fix. I am going to the Apple app store and spend another 20 bucks to get a working program but I guarantee I will bad mouth the customer service hereat beamdog every chance i get. great game no support.
  • TanMcCanTanMcCan Member Posts: 1
    Same issue here, it udpated at first launch and not it's stuck at preparing to download, i chmodded it, launched it in terminal and have my settings to allow all apps to download and nothing. Hope they get something out soon,
  • tnbsciktnbscik Member Posts: 4
    Same issue here... It'd be great if I could play the game I paid for.
  • GynsburgheGynsburghe Member Posts: 60
    edited November 2016
    Nasty surprise when I went to mod the newest revision - I wanted a clean copy to start with. I did the backdoor trick with the exe file - which worked fine. Watching those 'error messages' scroll by in the terminal made me a bit worried...

I still need to boot the game from the EXE file however - which was not a problem with the last update (which is why I was reinstalling mods and desiring a clean copy). It is definitely an irritation to have to go this deep just to play. I'm not overly impressed that this hasn't been dealt with yet, and am really unhappy with OS Sierra for forcing me to deal with Gatekeeper all the damned time.
    Post edited by Gynsburghe on
  • pgibbspgibbs Member Posts: 12
    I get this error after installing if I'm trying to run the launcher. If I run the app in applications - bg2 ed - game data - 00782 - bg2enhanced edition.app = contents - macOS

Then the game will start, but if I attempt to save anything (autosave at beginning cutscene or regenerated character) then the game crashes with

Exception Type: EXC_BAD_ACCESS (SIGSEGV)
    Exception Codes: KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS at 0x0000000000000068
    Exception Note: EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Signal: Segmentation fault: 11
    Termination Reason: Namespace SIGNAL, Code 0xb
    Terminating Process: exc handler [0]

Running MAC os Sierra 10.12.1 on
    Macbook pro Retina 13-inch late 2013

Any help appreciated.... can't run the game I bought.
  • Gate70Gate70 Member, Developer Posts: 3,870
    @pgibbs
    This thread should help you
  • msiodamsioda Member Posts: 1
    I also have MAC os Sierra & cannot use the brand new game I just purchased! Please help!
  • SassaroliSassaroli Member Posts: 12
    Hey,
    I managed to run the installer from within the .app package.
    Now it says I need 3 Gb of free space for installing: too bad I have 32 Gb free!
    (This happens with "install from anywhere" both enabled and disabled).
    Any ideas?
  • HawaiinouHawaiinou Member Posts: 3
    Is it ok now ? I want to know before I go for Sierra (or not !)
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Hello, everyone!

Mac OS Sierra includes a new feature on their security application called Gatekeeper (yeah, what a name!). 

This Gatekeeper "randomizes" the location of any non-signed application run. Meaning that those apps don't run from the "Applications" area, and none of their resources are accessed in a way that's exploitable.

There's an assumption that the game attempts to save the re-written baldur.lua file to this "randomized" location on disk meaning that when you re-start the app, you don't get the changes made in the previous version of the app run.

By Disabling Gatekeeper and running the app, you're telling the OS to basically treat the application as a signed app from here out...

Once you do this once, the app path is no longer randomized, and the app writes out the baldur.lua file to the expected locations / permanent locations, meaning the changes persist past the next execution of the game.

So you should disable Gatekeeper, launch the game, close the game, and then re-enable Gatekeeper. This way any changes, which include both the debug mode and even just in-game settings) will stick.
    GreenWarlocklolien
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315

By Disabling Gatekeeper and running the app, you're telling the OS to basically treat the application as a signed app from here out...

Its also important to note that you aren't just telling your computer to treat this one application this way. So long as Gatekeeper is disabled it will do the same for all applications. So be very mindful of the applications you have installed when you do this.
    JuliusBorisovagb1lolien
  • atanamaratanamar Member Posts: 3
    I just bought a new mac that has Sierra 10.12.2 on it, and the above strategy doesn't work. I disabled gatekeeper in the console via "sudo spctl --master-disable" and then switch the "download from" option to "anywhere" in the privacy settings. The installer now runs, but it consistently fails during download. From the console, I'm seeing the same "too many connections" error. Any ideas. Sadface.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    atanamar said:

I just bought a new mac that has Sierra 10.12.2 on it, and the above strategy doesn't work. I disabled gatekeeper in the console via "sudo spctl --master-disable" and then switch the "download from" option to "anywhere" in the privacy settings. The installer now runs, but it consistently fails during download. From the console, I'm seeing the same "too many connections" error. Any ideas. Sadface.

Where did you buy it?
    Where did I buy the mac? It's the new MacBook Pro with touchbar, bought from the apple store. Where did I buy Baldur's Gate 2? From Beamdog, directly downloaded from there.
    elminster
    Alright, it actually finished installing after about a dozen tries. No idea how or why but I'll take it.
    GallowglassJuliusBorisovelminsterlolien