Skip to content

What do you think of the voice actors of this Expansion?

I loved SoD. I did!

My only complaint is about the voice acting of mundane npc's . All I can remember is the dwarf's fake scottish accent, or the "old female soldier" with a badly acted old person's voice. BG1 and 2 had way more natural voice acting.

Or could I be wrong? Share your opinions!
QuartzSCARY_WIZARD

Comments

•  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    edited September 2016
    This is funny since 90% of the answers you'll get will be about Grand Duke Entar's horrible fake accent. Not that it's entirely unjustified, mind you.

I think it's overall decent. There's something about it that sounds more modern but that's to be expected. There's actually enough variety for it to be entertaining.
    ThacoBell
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

This is funny since 90% of the answers you'll get will be about Grand Duke Entar's horrible fake accent. Not that it's entirely unjustified, mind you.

I think it's overall decent. There's something about it that sounds more modern but that's to be expected. There's actually enough variety for it to be entertaining.

GRAND DUKE ENTAR SILVERSHIELDS ACCENT IS LE TERRIBLE.

Hate the Pepe Le Pew accent.

As I've said elsewhere, it's all well and good to add a worldly accent to a character but they went overboard into fake stereotype territory. I don't buy that a real person fluent in French speaking in English would sound like that and that takes me out of the game.
    QuartzCrevsDaak
  • Mr2150Mr2150 Member Posts: 1,170
    You mean zat all Frrench peepalls do not spick like zis?

It reminds me of the French English Policeman from 'Allo 'Allo
    smeagolhearttbone1CrevsDaakNecroscope86
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Mr2150 said:

You mean zat all Frrench peepalls do not spick like zis?

It reminds me of the French English Policeman from 'Allo 'Allo

Exactly :)

Oui Oui.
    Mr2150CrevsDaak
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Entar's accent didn't bother me much, but I felt like most characters were overracting. I mean, in my bg2 korgan is a grumpy dwarf and aerie os a sad elf, but I remember them sound natural bacause their voice actors were very good.
    MortiannaQuartz
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    I felt Safana was a little off in some banters, but that could be some of the nonsensical shit she started with other party members as well.

I'm kinda surprised she didn't start any lethal npc conflicts.
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    The voices of several Flaming Fist members bother me somewhat. They sound more like today's special forces members than medieval city guards. Corwin could also sound a bit more "medieval", imo. The voices of the remaining new NPCs are great though.
  • ajwzajwz Member Posts: 4,122
    Pretty good overall to be honest.
    semiticgoddessThacoBelllolienCrevsDaak
  • AyiekieAyiekie Member Posts: 975
    Two more voice sets for Neera? All of my money.

Everything else I heard was okayish with a few standouts both good and bad. My main problem with Entar isn't his accent, it's that his daughter sounds nothing like him. M'khiin was actually really good.
    DJKajuru[Deleted User]lolienCrevsDaak
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    Pretty good through and through. Some characters actually have some great voices that I really like. Mostly fits in well with the already exisiting stuff
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    Not all voice work in old BG1 was good. I still cringe every time I hear the farmers.
    DJKajuruThacoBellQuartzlolien
  • OutrangOutrang Member Posts: 24
    The only painful part was Entar Silvershield. Otherwise, I found it fine. It seemed to have some of that old school quality where they just got "Steve from QA" to voice random NPCs because they didn't have budget for big voice actors. I actually find that sort of charming.

The "animation" in various cutscenes bothered me much more. I remember one at the start of Chapter 10 where Caelar is supposed to be pacing back and forth talking to Ashatiel, only she is walking back and forth in a very narrow space so it just looks like she is having a spasm. It's the Infinity Engine, guys. We aren't in it for animated cutscenes.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Perhaps I point at the exact target of my complaint. I think that most of voice actors are quite good, specially the ones who voice Baeloth and Caelar. But here is my exact complaints:

- The woman who voices the old woman soldier (coalition camp), the rashemi wizard and the female ogre. She may jave tried but they all sounded forced. It's nothing personal, just don't hire her anymore. Please.

Please don't take me wrong, I really appreciate the fact that you have voiced many many characters and hired top actors such as david warner . It's just something that bothered me because if not done properly it breaks immersion and nobody wants that.

MortiannaQuartz
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    The cobalt moss lady in the first dungeon also comes to mind as someone who sounds a little awkward.
    MortiannaSkatanQuartzCrevsDaak
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Just putting this down here eventhough I know it will be an unpopular opinion.

Corwin is the worse voice acting I think I have ever heard.
    The lines she has to say don't help, but she could have made some effort to sound less like a schoolteacher being unecessarily rude to NPC.
    The worst of Jaheira on steroids.
    And her accent is dreadful.
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    The more I have Safana in my party, the more her voice actor's (Stephanie Wolfe) performance grates on me. Nearly every line is overacted and doesn't sound natural or in character, especially when my party is in the wilderness and she loudly (and slowly) announces, "What I wouldn't give for a cozy inn and a hot bath!" Ugh, it just sounds so awkward! I really wish they could have gotten the original actor, Diane Pershing, to do the voice overs. (Pershing did the voice for Adalon in BG2.)
    DJKajuru
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    I just came back from experiencing about a dozen iterations of the Orlesian accent in Dragon Age: Inquisition and somehow, Entar Silvershield's accent is still worse. That's sort of impressive.
    SkatanThacoBell
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Well... They sound a bit older than they did in the originals (I wonder why...). David Warner in particular sounds much older and sometimes sounds like he has dentures. I personally don't care what they all sound like really, though. The fact that they actually got so many of the old voice actors back floored me when I first booted SoD. Hearing Kevin Michael Richardson, Jim Cummings, David Warner, and all those voices again... My jaw practically fell off and needed reattachment surgery! It was amazing!
    JuliusBorisovThacoBelllolien
  • gmazcagmazca Member Posts: 60
    Overall I was really impressed by just about everyone. Silvershield, though, stuck out like a soar thumb. He was just laying on the accent so thick that he sounded like a caricature. Otherwise I was pleasantly surprised. David Warner, while he does sound older, is still awesome.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428
    Silvershield's accent rivals those in Empire Earth for its over the top fakeness. And Belt is okay to listen to, by himself, but it's clear that unlike Jannath and Eltan, they didn't even try to get him to sound the way he did in the original. And although I despise running a game thiefless (traps hurt like hell and forcing locks is simply impossible), I just couldn't get myself to bring either Safana or Glint along on my current SOD run. The former's voice acting and the latter's dialog just grate on me too much.
    Mortianna
  • MortiannaMortianna Member Posts: 1,356
    edited November 2016
    gmazca said:

Silvershield, though, stuck out like a soar thumb. He was just laying on the accent so thick that he sounded like a caricature. Otherwise I was pleasantly surprised. David Warner, while he does sound older, is still awesome.

I was waiting for Entar to blurt out "Oui, oui, oui. Huh, huh, huh" at any moment when I first heard his first dialogue.

Overall, I'm very happy with most of the other main character voices. Warner's dialogue with the PC on Boareskyr Bridge and his conversation with Hephernaan in the cave are absolutely amazing.
    Post edited by Mortianna on
    semiticgoddess
  • ArunsunArunsun Member Posts: 1,592
    Entar's accent does not sound French at all, and is extremely unpleasant to hear. Besides that, the voice acting is really quite good in my opinion. It just felt really strange that one of the voice set, the male "commanding" one, was David Warner's as well. It feels like Irenicus is here at every turn.
    David Warner's role as Irenicus was once again thrilling.
    semiticgoddess
  • qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    I think most of the time the acting was all right, but a few cases of forced French, Scottish, German accent are lame. That, and in a few lines Minsc sounds Indian.
    Quartz