Skip to content

Torment: Tides of Numenera

Comments

• KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    I just hope there's a wide variety of clubs, otherwise melee combat has lost its appeal to me.
    CrevsDaak[Deleted User]
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    edited November 2016
    So we're now looking at a game that was originally supposed to come out two years ago being pushed back to the end of first quarter 2017. I can't help but think inExile might just have their hands in too many pots right now. They have Bard's Tale IV going on (who the hell knows when there is gonna be any news about that) and they have already started on Wasteland 3 before this game even gets released.

To put this in perspective, Larian is probably going to release BOTH Divinity: Original Sin games within the same time-frame. It's a different animal completely, but The Witcher 3 is an absurdly massive game that came out within 2 years and 3 months of announcement. We are talking about a 4-year development cycle on a 25-30 hour isometric RPG at this point. There is alot of speculation that the console release of this game is a.) dumbing it down and b.) causing the big delay. Larian handled things much better by releasing D:OS to universal acclaim first on PC, figuring out how to fix it, and then dropping the Enhanced Edition for both systems at the same time.

Alot of these Kickstarter RPGs seem to be be crashing and burning. Pillars of Eternity and D:OS were big hits, but it's worth noting that Sword Coast Legends was an unmitigated disaster, Underworld Ascendant is having big delays and little hope of a release anytime soon. Shroud of the Avatar is absolutely cratering in oblivion. I'm not saying that is going to happen to Torment, but the constant delays are giving me alot of pause about this one, and anything less than a superb experience is going to be a massive blow to inExile's reputation, especially considering that even though Wasteland 2 was a financial success, I've never felt the game has been anything more than lukewarmly received by RPG fans (Underrail has stolen it's thunder as the true isometric Fallout follow-up), which is another reason I was shocked to see Wasteland 3 get the greenlight at this juncture.
    Post edited by jjstraka34 on
    FinneousPJ[Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Now, the trailer for the Glaive class:

"You're also the only class that can attack twice in one turn."

That sold it for me.
    mlneveseCrevsDaak
  • drawnacroldrawnacrol Member Posts: 253

So we're now looking at a game that was originally supposed to come out two years ago being pushed back to the end of first quarter 2017. I can't help but think inExile might just have their hands in too many pots right now.

This is one of the downsides with crowd funding or having your own company. They don't have someone on their back saying get this out before Christmas. As a result they get pushed back more and more and people have no choice but to wait since they already paid for it. Sometimes this works really well and you get a great polished game. Other times you get a bloated game that aimed to high.
    FardragonCrevsDaak

So we're now looking at a game that was originally supposed to come out two years ago being pushed back to the end of first quarter 2017. I can't help but think inExile might just have their hands in too many pots right now.

This is one of the downsides with crowd funding or having your own company. They don't have someone on their back saying get this out before Christmas. As a result they get pushed back more and more and people have no choice but to wait since they already paid for it. Sometimes this works really well and you get a great polished game. Other times you get a bloated game that aimed to high.
    This is certainly better than, say, what happened to Might and Magic IX and Ultima IX, in which the greedy studio companies basically had complete contempt for the PC audience and released games that were essentially in alpha. This isn't Duke Nukem Forver or Chinese Democracy, but I wouldn't be shocked if this game didn't come out for another 9 months.
    CrevsDaak
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Hm. Do you suggest I should go help those guys out and do whatever I can to speed this up? :smirk:
    God said:

Hm. Do you suggest I should go help those guys out and do whatever I can to speed this up? :smirk:

You did more with Diablo 2 in a couple weeks than Blizzard has done in a decade, so I'd say it couldn't hurt......
    GodCrevsDaak

God said:

You did more with Diablo 2 in a couple weeks than Blizzard has done in a decade, so I'd say it couldn't hurt......

Will lend them a hand in one way or another as soon as I get a couple of other tasks out of my way :smile:
    CrevsDaak
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Glaive good, Nano better, Jack the best!

CrevsDaakSharGuidesMyHand[Deleted User]
  • SharGuidesMyHandSharGuidesMyHand Member Posts: 2,579

Glaive good, Nano better, Jack the best!

Agreed!
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

Jack the best!

JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Still think Glaive looks like a poor relation. What use is attacking twice in a dialogue heavy game where combat is largely avoidable?
    CrevsDaak
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    I went with the nano. The mind scan is a pretty neat mechanic.
    CrevsDaakKamigoroshi
    edited December 2016
    elminster said:

I went with the nano. The mind scan is a pretty neat mechanic.

Does there also exist a mind print to compliment the mind scan? That would like really be useful for any 9th Worlds' bureaucrat. Just think of all the paperwork it would eliminate!
    elminsterCrevsDaakDavide
    Not that I'm aware of :)
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaak
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2016
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaakFinneousPJJuliusBorisov
  • FranpaFranpa Member Posts: 637
    edited December 2016
    So long as this isn't of a similar quality to what Empire Earth 3 was to that game series, it should be good.
    edited December 2016
    Looks like inXile Entertainment revealed in their latest update #61 that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be released in February 28th, 2017. Only two more months and a half to go.
    Post edited by Kamigoroshi on
    JuliusBorisovmlneveseelminsterCrevsDaak
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    tobad like with tyrrany i'm gonna have to wait till it's around 20 bucks. 40 is just to much for me for one game.
    CrevsDaak

Torment: Tides of Numenera will be released in February 28th, 2017

:smirk:
  • DavideDavide Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 1,698

Looks like inXile Entertainment revealed in their latest update #61 that Torment: Tides of Numenera will be released in February 29th, 2017. Only two more months and a half to go.

Release date corrected. ;)
    megamike15JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    It looks as though the Exiles and Techland could use some more of my help still.

Oh well.
  • proccoprocco Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 915
    There's a new update to the early access version of the game: https://forums.inxile-entertainment.com/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=16925
    I'm going to just wait for the final release, but in case y'all are interested...
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Well I am downloading this one right now. Would really like to play, but I am not sure it will run at all ... Unless they optimized a lot : )
    CrevsDaakprocco
    Cluas said:

Well I am downloading this one right now. Would really like to play, but I am not sure it will run at all ... Unless they optimized a lot : )

Let me know if they did optimize. I could only kind of run the previous versions.
    CrevsDaak
    I gave the new update a try this evening and it does seem a good bit more optimized. Still a little sluggish for me in parts, but way better. And the section at the beginning with the Sorrow is mercifully very brief now.
    CrevsDaak
    edited December 2016
    Nano was fun but I've ended up starting a Glaide run (with new patches all of your older saves become invalid). It'll be interesting to see how well making a might focused Glaide goes for me :)
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    I'm so looking forward to this game (which I backed). A fantasy crpg with minimal combat is exactly what I've always wanted. :smile:
    CrevsDaakFardragon
  • CluasCluas Member Posts: 355
    Yes it did actually run. But laggy with my minimum specs- Now I have to find the time to play it a bit : )
    God