Skip to content

We support the creators of BG:EE

MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
edited September 2012 in Archive (General Discussion)
I just read this on Twitter

"Trent Oster ‏@TrentOster

I'm going home and to bed. Made the mistake of reading some negative feedback. Killed my motivation to work past 10:30 pm on a Friday night" speaking a bit like Xan - "Let us save our effort and just lie down and die!"

Now it made me think.. I, like some others, were annoyed with the delay and expressed my dissapointment a few hours ago, and I feel a little bad because I can understand why the descion was made.

So you know what I would like and I think it would be a good idea, if people could spare the time to express how thankful/happy or how you understand the delay or anything you feel would cheer up the team and help to motivate the team to keep up with there fantastic work as I can imagine negative feedback can easily dampen someones day.

I joined this forum when I found out the artist who designed its layout won the competition, which was near the beginning so ive been following this forum for a while and I want to say to the whole team, Trent Oster, Cameron Tofer, Phillip Daigle, Dave Gross and Scott Brooks and anyone else I missed. that I deeply appreciate how you are coming back to this game and all the hard work and time you have put into this game you people should be proud.

I think up to now with the screenshots, the new characters, the black pit, all the fixes and the new art and music I can say you are a company that cares about the gamers. It has been too long since ive met a team that are actually interested in the gamer. I miss isometric games and black isles for making brilliant games, I respect your descion to take on the Baldurs Gate saga, not many would handle a game like this and I am glad you are the people daring enough to refresh it, with what I know now I am glad it were you guys because I can imagine any other company would of, to put it bluntly, fucked it up. I know this game will succeed and bring new people to this game and delivering a quality Enhanced epic to the fans like myself, you are doing the games industry a favour and I appreciate everything you are doing for us, Thank you.

I am a Baldurs Gate:Enhanced Edition supporter.
Post edited by Majoca on

Comments

• AlkaluropsAlkalurops Member Posts: 269
    I could understand the delay, but I wasn't happy at all how they didn't explain why they needed another 2.5 *months*. Weeks, I could understand. Months?

But I know they're putting their soul in this game. I know they will deliver. It may be bad that the game's delayed, but without their dedication, there wouldn't even *be* an extended edition. This game wouldn't be preserved for future generations.

Thanks, BG:EE Team. Take your time and deliver a great game when it's ready.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    I'm still an avid supporter. Love what Beamdog is attempting here. But for God's sake please get it together in the PR, communications, and marketing dimension of this business. Beamdog, I want you to succeed and produce kickass products! But where improvement is needed, please do so. It's possible to screw the pooch in more ways than just producing a buggy game!
  • MajocaMajoca Member Posts: 263
    You have to remember people make mistakes, lets not focus on their mistake but appreciate everything they have done, from big things like 400 improvment to small things like taking part on the forums taking the time to tweet and make a ASMAA, even when the president of the United States felt jealous of all the glory baldurs gate was getting so he made a ASMA, damn President Obama and his ego :P
  • CrazedSlayerCrazedSlayer Member Posts: 130
    I really agree with the sentiment of this topic!! Sure I can get why some people have been having a knee-jerk reaction to this, but there are better ways to deal with frustration and disappointment. All the information we've so far been given in terms of what to expect in BGEE has been subject of a lengthy approval process, so I can even see why we've been given little definitive works of what to expect (in terms of screenshots, gameplay videos, ect). Its obvious that the delay also had to be approved from various sources, as did releasing details of the delay, so announcing it four days in advance is probably the best that could happen considering the circumstances. No the situation isnt ideal, nor has it even been throughout this long process, but I'm not going become resentful of any effort undertaken by Beamdog to do the best they can with this.

I was inclined to agree with comments about the marketing of this (I found out about BGEE by accident by randomly deciding to look for Baldurs Gate material on youtube), but now that I think about it, the details about this project have probably already spread throughout the reaches of the fan community already, and new fans are probably hearing about it from older fans. Dedicating more time and resources towards putting word out would probably be unnecessary at this point.

Whether people want to feel angry or disappointed throughout the 2.5 month span is up to them, and as along as they're expressing those feelings constructively then they're not doing any harm at least. As for me, I'm going to go ahead keep doing what I've been doing all these months of waiting: having fun playing Baldurs Gate 2 while I obsessively keep an eye out for any new comments on this forum :)
  • ArveragusArveragus Member Posts: 62
    I agree with the above. I was pleasantly surprised to read earlier on this year about the project to breathe new life into the Baldurs Gate saga and admire the commitment of the development team for persevering with the necessary work to revamp the game. It may take more time for the final polished version of BG1 to become available but I am sure that we as players will be rewarded for our patience. Many thanks to the team for their work so far and also for the additional work which they will carry out to complete the tasks.
    @Shandyr

That is a great way to put the whole situation!
    I just think it is better to be positive about the whole situation and cheer on the developers, I am glad people feel the same way as I do.
    When I saw trents post I just thought of Xan "Let us save our effort and just lie down and die!"
  • kiroskiros Member Posts: 119
    edited September 2012
    Shandyr said:

Majoca said:

Negative feedback would be ok as long as its constructive and not destructive.
    Raging and insulting doesnt help at all but weakens the relationship between developers and players.

This ^
    The team involved are saints in comparison with other game developers "Bethesda, Blizzard" and are working extremely hard to get this game finished.

Instead of raging, be glad that they now have 2 month's to add new features, fix more bugs, gain more feedback on current progress and polish off the product.

Post edited by kiros on
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745
    edited September 2012
    I feel a bit guilty because as soon as I read the news I went into NOOOOO! mode and didn't really think about what they were trying to do and the effort required to do it.

Now that momment has passed. Reflection and most likely a sorry for lack of thoughtfulness is required.

I have always wanted to play BG:EE in this way. Usually my BG games were modded to oblivion. I HAVE NEVER got the perfect BG experience I have wanted with a megamod. Bugs always come and, quite literally, bugger you game.

If they need more time we should give it to them. A better game will result.

Thank you Overhaul games! Keep up the good work! You are superstars!

@Majoca A request. Could you rename this thread or start a We support the creators of BG:EE thread please. We need to give these guys the big love up they deserve!
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    edited September 2012
    I think that when you handle with a Classic such as Baldur's Gate you need to take into account that there will be Haters and Doubtfuls, We already had some Hate threads even before the delay, So after the announcement it is expected that there will be even more this kind of threads/comments...

On the other hand, I think it is VERY important to remember that the hate threads are coming from a very small minority of people, being louder doesn't make it the voice of the majority.

I also felt disappointment when I saw the delay-announcement mainly because I wont have much time to play it ,unlike now. but hell, If we can get a better version of BG:EE in the cost of waiting a little bit more, why not???

In the end, I'm here enough time to know how much the developers care about this project and want to make it successful. They have got my full support!!!

• KonabugaKonabuga Member Posts: 135
    As I have said in other threads already, I'm perfectly fine with the delay. If the devs feel they need more time to finish the game, we should give it to them.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @TrentOster and the development team: Don't give up, guys. You're doing a good thing. The majority of us here know that this whole project is a labor of love for you, done for love of the game and its art.

I'm sure you've seen this delay coming, agonized over it, tried to prevent it, and anticipated that some would react badly when the decision was finally made that it had to happen.

Don't let a few immature people crush your morale. There are so many people who support you and who want this game made, with the best possible quality. We are with you, and we stand by our decisions to pre-order the game so you could have some cash flow to work with. We are a community, and we love you for giving us BG:EE. Take the time you need to feel good about your release.
  • RazorRazor Member Posts: 436
    edited September 2012
    I agree completly with OP. Don't let the negative posts bring you down guys, they come and go just like emotions but in the end we are all here because we believe in your work!
    Yeah, along with my perfectly valid criticisms, to Beamdog I would like to express heartfelt appreciation and encouragement for your vision and what you have accomplished thus far. I will keep the faith that you will produce an extraordinary product that will keep gamers entertained for generations to come. Thanks for all the hard work. Ditto for modders/beta testers who are helping.
  • ChippyChippy Member Posts: 241
    I think anyone who appreciates anything about game development or (like me) has enough life experience to know that sometime the stars just don't align. You could be the most professional person in the world (I'm a tradesman and teacher) that's worked on some fantastically run building projects - but you can still run into the unexpected - unexploded bombs from WW2, human remains, ruins, etc.

Think of the Nashkel cemetary. Just think of all the ghosts of dead programmers Overhaul is fighting to get this thing out the door. I bet if the truth were known they had an on-site priest of Ilmater who was mid way through exorcising some code and was too liberal with the holy water...

@Anduin, thread name changed! :D

@Chippy
    I agree with ye!

also think of it like this.
    The extra 2 months gives sarevok and his bandits extra time before his brother and sisters and there bands of Jaheria's, Xzar's, Viconias and any of the other NPC's spoil it scheme of bloodshed. :P
  • bigdogchrisbigdogchris Member Posts: 1,336
    edited September 2012
    I totally support the decision to delay, to make a better product!

Trent recently tweeted. "We still had way too many open bugs for launch." I appreciate the honesty.

Keep up the good work!!
  • EidolonEidolon Member Posts: 99
    edited September 2012
    Well said OP, I wholeheartedly agree. I fully support the BG:EE developers myself, and I am not the least bit disappointed with the delay. Did I massively look forward to playing BG:EE three days from now? Of course but I rather have a product that the developers are proud of than a rushed game due to meeting deadlines. Trent Oster has poured a massive amount of work into this enhanced edition; people need to realize that some things are out of the dev's control. Did the announcement come at the 11th hour? Sure it did but I bet you it was with very good reason. I can totally understand Trent's depressed reaction.

Everyone need to cut them some slack, they are working extremely hard.
  • j0lssonij0lssoni Member Posts: 53
    OP is right, the only thing that could piss me off more than a launch date delay would be a launch of an inferior product, and we're talking about *Baldur's Gate* here.
  • killeahkilleah Member Posts: 124
    We're all beings with emotions, indeed, while the majority of the community agrees with the fact that the postpone should happen, and that it is a good thing, many feels robbed of the joy they would meet the 18th.

Tbh, I take it as a healthy sign that indeed so many emotional outbreaks about the postpone are written here on forums.

Trent & co. - do not let it get to you in a negative way - see it as a frustration that have been fueled on the fact that, everyone here are so eagerly awaiting this release, that comments and post with anger only underlines that very fact.

NOW pretty please with sugar on the top - get the best game made even better, ever, done so we all can rejoice.
  • RexfaroensisRexfaroensis Member Posts: 134
    Long live the BG:EE Team! Huzzah!
    I also suspect that Beamdog is taking it on the chin for the 11th hour postponement primarily because of the partners' preferences and decisions. If so, Hasbro (via Atari or Wotc, whichever) can easily afford to sit back and avoid any criticism and Beamdog takes the hit. Not that the partners would care even if they are to blame and could be identified.

But anyway, it could very well be that Beamdog has been hamstrung from communicating more effectively all the way along. If so, I'm sure they certainly would have preferred to have communicated better.

Of course this is all speculation. Just saying that if it is so, I can feel for Beamdog there. That would be tough to stomach.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I tweeted this yesterday, but, @TrentOster, don't be afraid to take a day off once in a while. You'll kill yourself if you keep up with these 4am nights.
  • NazgulUFNazgulUF Member Posts: 8
    Good. Fast. Cheap. You can pick two of three. I'm glad they are focusing on good. It'll be done when it is done. I just want it to be good. Looking forward to playing with my SO. That ain't gonna change.
  • neur0neur0 Member Posts: 83
    edited September 2012
    You are misinterpreting that tweet.
    Trent only said that he "made a mistake of reading some negative feedback."
    A man with his experience (or anyone for that matter) must have expected some negative feedback after delaying the game for months, 3 days before release.
    He got temporarily demotivated after reading some venting posts, and it's completely normal.
    We preordered the game and participate in this forum. Of course we support the creators of BG:EE and want BG:EE to be a big success both as a game and as a business.
    And we shouldn't feel bad whenever we want to express criticism. We criticize because we care. Both about Overhaul and IE games.
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    To be honest the delay doesn't bother me at all. I just enjoy having the forums to hang about on.
    @neur0

I find your comment rather condescending, for one I didnt misinterpret anything.

Of course I understand nearly all artists, developers, director, musicians get criticised for what they do.

You are also assuming people dont realise his lack of motivation is temporary, the whole point in this thread is to give Trent a boost and uplift the whole teams spirit and to have a thread dedicated to understanding and complimenting their effort.

I also didnt realise that you were an expert at deciphering Trent Osters Tweets as I dont understand other than what he expressed could be misinterpreted?

he said -

"I'm going home and to bed. Made the mistake of reading some negative feedback. Killed my motivation to work past 10:30 pm on a Friday night"

which I think means he went to his bed to sleep, because he made a mistake by reading feedback most likely on this forum which was negative, most likely comments expressing there opinions on either the delay or about some aspects of the game which people disliked or ranting, this caused his motivation to do work after 10:30pm as he was probably tired none existent.

Sorry if this sounds really insulting and I will probably regret typing this as I already have my doubts but I dislike being told by someone on the internet that I cant read for meaning and to be explained something I already know and then to be told I cant feel bad "We shouldn't feel bad whenever we want to express criticism" when it is our own conscience that decides wether we feel bad about something, I have my reason to feel a little guilt as my negative comment could hurt a developers moral to do well.

but I understand you meant well, "We preordered the game and participate in this forum. Of course we support the creators of BG:EE and want BG:EE to be a big success both as a game and as a business." < very true statment.
  • erathielerathiel Member Posts: 38
    edited September 2012
    I just wonder. Trent Osters was hoping that after they announced delay for 2,5 months, 3 days before release everyone on this forum will be happy and greatfull for them doing it ?

@erathiel

when did Trent Oster say he hoped that people would be happy and grateful for the delay?
    "After recently reviewing the game and then consulting with our partners, we've decided to ensure that Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition is the best possible product on launch. Thus, we have pushed back the release date of the game. Our release date is now November 30th, 2012."

they had their reasons, you would be the first to complain if it was released and it wasn't working or horribly buggy. They didnt delay the game out of spite, their not all black guards.