Skip to content

Politics. The feel in your country.

Comments

• elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    edited January 2017
    deltago said:

AND......tomorrow Trump will announce his plans for the Border Wall. I mean, would you look at this, it seems he is actually doing what he said in his campaign. I've been told more times than I can count on both this forum and by Trump supporters rationalizing their support of him that we can't take him literally, because that's not what he means. What a load of BS. So when can we start taking him literally?? My guess is never, because that's an argument that Democrats/liberals have been making, so it's dismissed out of hand, even though it's 100% correct. Of course, Mexico will not being paying for the wall. But, don't you know, Trump supporters have ALWAYS known that. They never chanted "Mexico" at the rallies when Trump asked who was going to pay for it. We've always been at war with Eastasia.

AND:

Jesus jumped up Christ, what are we talking about here, martial law in one of the major American cities?? Trump is basically just throwing Posse Comitatus out the window.
    Oh come on.

It's no big deal.

Here in Canada, we call in the military into our major cities all the time, for insane reasons. They can be used for more than invading other countries you know. They can do more useful things like battling storms.

Not sure the Toronto example is a good one given that we got a years worth (118 cm) of snow in 2 weeks. That was just a case where the city (and frankly any modern city) wouldn't be able to cope with that amount of snow in such a short period of time (without additional help). Basically I would argue in Toronto's case the military was needed and made a difference, but I think sending in the military to help with crime is pretty different.
    Post edited by elminster on
  • BillyYankBillyYank Member Posts: 2,768
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    "1984" is currently the best-selling book on Amazon, which is good, because a.) it's one of the best books ever written and b.) it's a virtual template of what you are going to see in the coming months. People like Gary Kasparov and Martina Navratilova, who grew up in repressive regimes, are speaking out about how the Trump Administration is strikingly similar to the countries they grew up in. Journalists who have worked in Russia and China are saying the exact same thing. The alarm bells are working just fine, they are blaring and loud. People are choosing to ignore them. It's not that they aren't there.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    One of the most thought provoking lessons I had at school was when we were given "1984" and "Brave new world" (Aldous Huxley) to read, back to back.

In many ways I think 1984 is already here, along with "Fahrenheit 451".
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    So Trump wants Voter Fraud to be investigated.

Waste of money, or hoping it will prove him wrong?
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963
    Trump is calling for a major investigation into the election. There were issues with voter suppression, faulty machines, voter fraud (5 cases so far, all for Trump), Russian hacking.

He's right the results are probably illegitimate.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    I don't think he'll actually go through with it. At least not without external pressure.
    There have been 8 cases of voter fraud in recent history. It amounts to .00000013%. Statistically insignificant. It would be like picking up a single grain of sand on the beach and thinking you've altered the tide. Trump saying there were 3 million illegal votes casts has the same credibility as me saying I could fly a skateboard to Jupiter.

But, lo and behold, guess who is registered to vote in two states?? His white nationalist right-hand Steve Bannon. And journalists are seeing a disturbing trend when talking to Trump Administration staffers. They all can't stop talking about how nuts he is.
    edited January 2017

They all can't stop talking about how nuts he is.

That's why we should encourage him to delegitimize the election he won. If he wants to check only x and y, why no no no we also need to check a,b and c too.
    At the rate Trump is following through on nearly every authoritarian position he took in the campaign, if I was Hillary Clinton I would be getting the hell out of the country as fast as possible.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    It appears that Trump also wants to get the process started to reduce the United States' involvement with the United Nations; some people have been suggesting that we do this for years.

From a certain point of view this would make sense. Imagine living in a neighborhood where you are a member of the HOA (homeowner's association) and more than half your neighbors thoroughly dislike you. Every time they hold a meeting someone tries to introduce new guidelines designed specifically to make your life more difficult; they cannot kick you out of the neighborhood but they never let you forget that you aren't welcome there. Why would you want to stay? Only a fool would continue to live in such circumstances.

Now imagine that you are by far the wealthiest person in that neighborhood. Sure, the members of the HOA committee will smile, invite you to neighborhood parties, laugh at your jokes, etc. but all they really want is for you to keep throwing money towards their little projects even though they still only barely tolerate you as a person. The wise man would move, taking his money with him.

It is not the responsibility of the United States to pay for everyone else's little pet projects. Yes, generosity is a good thing but as I said only a fool gives money to those who despise him. They will always take your money then look for ways to stab you in the back.

. They will always take your money then look for ways to stab you in the back.

You are talking about April 15th lol since Trump is so intent on wasting money on things like walls, business tax cuts, business welfare, and personal corruption for his appointees. And your taxes will be supporting going against everything that is progressive (climate change, social security, medicare, net neutrality, etc etc etc).

And tax dollars will go more to prop up Red States that hijacked the election from the democratically selected candidate that more Americans voted for.

Yeah sounds like back stabbin
    Before the United Nations and NATO the European continent and the world was plunged into two wars that pushed humanity to the breaking point, and led to the creation of a device that could destroy it outright. That no such conflict has arisen in the subsequent 75 years is a direct result of their existence.
    edited January 2017

. They will always take your money then look for ways to stab you in the back.

You are talking about April 15th lol since Trump is so intent on wasting money on things like walls, business tax cuts, business welfare, and personal corruption for his appointees. And your taxes will be supporting going against everything that is progressive (climate change, social security, medicare, net neutrality, etc etc etc).

And tax dollars will go more to prop up Red States that hijacked the election from the democratically selected candidate that more Americans voted for.

Yeah sounds like back stabbin
    Don't you know?? Only conservatives get to have things they don't like not funded by their tax dollars. The uproar over Planned Parenthood is even more ridiculous because the Hyde Amendment has already banned federal abortion funding in most instances.

And yes, blue states like California and New York have LONG been funding things in poorer red states that conservatives who live there are totally oblivious to. They contribute a vastly disproportionate amount of the nation's tax revenue, and, in return, get their votes counted less than a field full of cows in Wyoming. Pretty neat deal.
    edited January 2017
    The hits just keep on coming like a monkey with a machine gun:

According to UK scientists, the US has lost its status as a “full democracy” and is now what the research group calls a “flawed democracy" in part due to Trump's rhetoric attacking government institutions and Republicans obstructionism under Obama.

According to UK scientists, the US has lost its status as a “full democracy” and is now what the research group calls a “flawed democracy" in part due to Trump's rhetoric attacking government institutions and Republicans obstructionism under Obama.

Trump was (and is) a test of our institutions. We are failing miserably.
  • TakisMegasTakisMegas Member Posts: 835

It is not a Democracy to begin with. It's a Constitutional Republic. Whoever tells you differently is lying and those that think it is are...

Trump was (and is) a test of our institutions. We are failing miserably.
    Humanity on a Universal level is failing if people keep believing that this "Drumpf Two-Step" is for real. This is all to take away from the real problems of the world. The USA is the soap opera used to program the weak willed into finding their "Messiah" on either side. The rest of us will watch the show with our VR Devices and Orville Redenbacher.
    Charges laid in arrest that was caught on video in Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9efPIDJ880
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,174
    edited January 2017

Before the United Nations and NATO the European continent and the world was plunged into two wars that pushed humanity to the breaking point, and led to the creation of a device that could destroy it outright. That no such conflict has arisen in the subsequent 75 years is a direct result of their existence.

Perhaps it is no coincidence that as the world wars pass out of living memory those institutions become devalued.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    Technically the full term for the American system is a federalist democratic republic. A blend of Roman republicanism, Greek democracy, and the federalist order that I think was mostly new at the time in 1787.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811

Charges laid in arrest that was caught on video in Toronto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9efPIDJ880

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THD_nErpHGU

get the full story.
    I have to continue to harp on the issue of who is paying for this wall, now that Paul Ryan has said Congress will "front" the money for it. First off, it's not a front, because Mexico isn't going to pay for the damn thing now, in the future, or ever. And this narrative that Trump voters or apologists never actually believed they would is the biggest load of crap I've ever heard. Play a clip of ANY Trump rally that took place the last year. Pick any one you like. And tell me these are people who are just frothing at the mouth about a "metaphorical" wall that Mexico is "metaphorically" going to pay for. It's nonsense. There isn't anything he can do even now that supporters won't retroactively rationalize away, and the same can be said about those who think he is just a joke and that everything will work out just because.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    @jjstraka34 I have a feeling the plan is to exit NAFTA and impose tariffs on Mexican goods. Or something along those lines. Then Trump can say they are paying for the wall, although indirectly.

@jjstraka34 I have a feeling the plan is to exit NAFTA and impose tariffs on Mexican goods. Or something along those lines. Then Trump can say they are paying for the wall, although indirectly.

If that happens it will be a wonder to watch who people blame for the increased prices of nearly everything they buy on a regular basis, to fund a wall to prevent illegal immigration which is already at a net negative (and therefore doesn't even really exist). Regardless, this has never been mentioned. His voters quite literally thought Mexico was going to hand over a check for the wall, and that is exactly what he was selling. Anything else is a retroactive BS.
    That doesn't sound at all like what Republicans did when Obama came to power.
This discussion has been closed.