Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• flare100flare100 Member Posts: 9
    Bhryaen said:

On yet another note... Really? Concrete plans to play on the day of release? I never trust new stuff like that! hehe Sorry, but no way... Not when buggy NWN2 came out, not when Windows7 came out... Never do I assume that it's going to be ready when it first gets released on the hapless de facto guinea pigs that snap it up on its first day out. That said, however, with this delay that wait will already be built into it. ;-) This is not Bioware/EA or Microsoft... which is sorta supercool. :-)

We will be keeping you informed... daily.

Yeah, expecting a game to work on release, what a silly thought!

kamuizinserialiesThe_New_Romance
  • EdvinEdvin Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,244
    edited September 2012
    @Tanthalas
    Is possible finish promised subraces to release this new delayed version ?
    ( Or at least in plane )
    SpaceInvaderGemHoundkingcrowley
  • mixnmatchmixnmatch Member Posts: 20
    Well I guess now I'll just have to keep playing my heavily modded version of baldurs gate while I wait for overhaul's heavily modded version to release... Because... Then.... I'll.... Never mind...
    abeeest
  • beorthulfbeorthulf Member Posts: 2
    one thing they did wrong was to tell people that pre-ordered to wait for an email for the download and when that email comes it's about a delay rather than the link. At least they should have changed the purchase email as soon as they figured they'd be delay. My trust in the company is rather low just now.

For all of comments saying it's acceptable to have delay, it might be ok in the game industry but from experience I wouldn't push the delivery date to my clients if I wanted to keep doing business with them. And it's 2 month extra-time to work on the project basically for free.
  • MuninMunin Member Posts: 95
    A day later I am still disappointed. But it is what it is.

Just don't hold your breath waiting for me to ever pre-order again. Maybe for BG2EE we can switch roles. You send me the game and I will pay you in a couple of months. Then we will be even.

Enough venting. Time to move on.

I hope with the extra time the game is really good. Give 'em hell Trent!
    abeeest
  • VampQueen31VampQueen31 Member Posts: 60
    I really hope this doesnt turn into vaporware. Which is what keeps happening if you try to chase perfection and add everything that sounds cool. I know the testers and the devs are passionate about this, but that also worries me greatly. Too much passion turns any project into crap if no one is level headed enough to say "Enough is a enough". I've seen too many interviews with these famous game designers that said it was the hardest lesson they had to learn.

If overhaul games chases perfection, they'll end up going out of business instead of making money. You need to ship a product to take in income.
    MachineOfLightThe_New_Romance
  • KukarachaKukaracha Member Posts: 256
    My two cents : this is a good thing. A better game is ALWAYS a good thing.
    BhryaendrawnacrolkingcrowleySir_Falkan
  • NiveaNivea Member Posts: 2
    Doesnt bother me, other then being said the game is not here yet that is. I would rather wait another 2 months if it meant that the game would be even more amazing.
  • OremusOremus Member Posts: 15
    Hey, this means that I will probably actually have time now to finish my first playthrough of Planescape: Torment.

This means that BG:EE won't be released at the same time as Borderlands, Torchlight 2, etc., though it will now be released around the same time as Wii U and Halo 4. I wonder if this has been mentioned already in the thread (don't worry, I've already preordered, have been saving for a long time for Wii U and don't currently have a 360, so everything is covered)... :)

Hopefully the consequences of this event are only positive! I suppose that this also means that we have a longer period to assist with advertising (watching a certain project on Kickstarter recently made me aware of just how powerful such a campaign can be).
  • toanwrathtoanwrath Member Posts: 621
    As much as I am sad about the delay, I am more sad that we weren't informed just a bit earlier. Maybe a week earlier?
  • DercaDerca Member Posts: 4
    Shame, but I'd rather have a game that works then spending hours in mad frenzy trying to fix and play it.
  • nobodyspecialnobodyspecial Member Posts: 3
    I can live with this delay as long as it shows up on gog immediately. :) No gog. No money. I'd always rather have a delay than a junk game. Why publishers insist on forcing devs to prematurely put out a game which ends with bad reviews anyway, is beyond me. Many games would sell FAR better if they just gave them a few more weeks or months of polish, thereby avoiding reviews below 70/100 (pretty much the line for me even pondering your game). Unfortunately there isn't a website that reviews games AFTER say 6 months of patching to see if they've improved. Bummer.
  • deviantwriterdeviantwriter Member Posts: 4
    no worries! still super-excited but you need to take all the time you need to make this as great as it can possibly be!
  • TuckerTucker Member Posts: 16
    Bg1 is a fantastic game what a group of brilliant people are trying to re render so it can be re visited by a lot of old players with new content and a lot of bug fixes, or be a completely new adventure for people who have never experienced game play along the sword coast, the game may be taking an extra month+ to finish but im sure it will be worth the wait the dev team will be working hard along side all the volunteers to fix every bug and if anyone here played skyrim on the release date and found backwards flying dragons who are invincible but keep you stuck in combat a pain well in bg the effects may not be as drastic but incorrect spell roles and npc's locking out of dialog mode so your having to restart the game and re zone just to talk to a merchant will drive you up the same wall as any other buggy game.
    Im sure the team will get the game right but if they need the time to do it as a community we should support them, as for leaving it so long to announce the delay who here likes to rush into handing out bad news to thousands of eagerly awaiting fans.
    Skippy
  • mch202mch202 Member Posts: 1,455
    @ChrisYui I wish I could press on the insightful-agree-like altogether and not only on one of them...
  • abeeestabeeest Member Posts: 1
    Is anyone else thinking this looks more and more like a scam? (it's not, but it's doing a really good impression of one) Spring/Summer 2012 was the first hint at a release date, where I live the leaves are falling off the trees. What's with the beaten wife syndrome? "They say they're polishing and adding features" "I'm sure they won't push the release date back again". Get angry, you parted with hard cash and got let down, again. What exactly are they doing that's going to take 2 more months? And finally, we're paying $20 for a super modded version of BG, I've already got that.
    /rant
    I still really want this
  • AenorAenor Member Posts: 64
    Just read the news. I'm so very disappointed. I don't want to be one of the negative people, really I don't. But I'm getting really sceptical about the whole thing... First the "Adventure X" turning out to be an off-shoot arena hack n slash. Then "Adventure Y" doesn't exist. Now this...

I want to believe Beamdog can pull this through. I'm not getting a refund. But at this point I can only be surprised positively...
  • ichaos1985ichaos1985 Member Posts: 34
    Being a software developer myself, I both understand and welcome the decision of Beamdog.
    It's their product and they can change the dead line. I wish I could change some of our dead lines sometimes. ;-)
    It's always better to take more time and try to harden your software, remove as many bugs as possible.
    Sadly, it has become normal for companies to release semi-ready products (banana-products), which will then be fixed and fixed and fixed over time, via patches. The consumers rarely like this procedure, but buy the games/products anyway.
    I can wait another two months for this game to be released. :)
    Skippy
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738

Perhaps the partners is responsible for this delay, or the devs want more freedom,...

Eh, lets not try to blame the other partners for everything that happens with the game.
    Edvin said:

@Tanthalas
    Is possible finish promised subraces to release this new delayed version ?
    ( Or at least in plane )

@Edvin

I honestly have no idea. I think implementing subraces isn't something terribly difficult, but that's something that only the developers can answer, not me.

I really hope this doesnt turn into vaporware. Which is what keeps happening if you try to chase perfection and add everything that sounds cool. I know the testers and the devs are passionate about this, but that also worries me greatly. Too much passion turns any project into crap if no one is level headed enough to say "Enough is a enough". I've seen too many interviews with these famous game designers that said it was the hardest lesson they had to learn.

If overhaul games chases perfection, they'll end up going out of business instead of making money. You need to ship a product to take in income.

I'm honestly not afraid that BGEE will become vaporware.
  • lolth98860lolth98860 Member Posts: 2
    déçu mais en espérant que l'attente nous apportera un jeu encore meilleur !
    Fredjo
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Eerr... you mother @lolth98860!!!! (that was bad language, no?)

XD!! Just a little joke, let's move on.

Well, i'm not pissed of with the delay, but more with the PR of Beamdog.

The "no so much" excuse letter figured the delay as a favor Beamdog made to us, when it was a contractual failure, so much talk about be forbidden to change the original content but for the customers contracts just an "be happy that we will delay and enhance yet more the game". Maybe the problem is the stick contract and the absent of penal clauses.

Again i say, no new letter, no information for the why of the delay, no toast... i don't even think in refund but that's not the real problem, i just want to know "why should i pre-order anything else" from here on?

I ask this from a business perspective as i intent to consume Beamdog products, but i can just buy them on the release, and the $18,00 paid early with 6 months is surely more expensive than $20,00 paid on the release date. So why shoud an customer pre-order anything else?
    lordkim
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    Tanthalas said:

I'm honestly not afraid that BGEE will become vaporware.

Neither am I, honestly.

The majority of games throughout gaming history have been delayed by weeks, months (Mass Effect 3, Prototype 2, Assassins Creed 3, etc.), or on occasion even years. This comes with setting an optimistic deadline and then meeting snags. It's hardly something unique to this particular game or team. This site was only launched in January of this year (it was actually registered on the 27-Oct-2011). Which means, if you take the other news reports as fact, in approximately one year these guys have almost completely remade/remastered the game. I would say it's quite an achievement given that it is a small studio.

And given the fact that they now plan on releasing it on the same date as the original, I would say it is more than likely going to be true to that date.

I'm hoping it will actually meet that date, it would be quite fitting for its fourteenth anniversary.

Or, maybe I'm just hyped over the fact that I'll get to play one of my all time favourites again. It's hard to tell.
    Bhryaen[Deleted User]Skippy
  • The_New_RomanceThe_New_Romance Member Posts: 839
    Just wait till Overhaul does Duke Nukem Forever: Enhanced Edition :D
  • lekikinou33lekikinou33 Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 129
    edited September 2012
    Tanthalas said:

Perhaps the partners is responsible for this delay, or the devs want more freedom,...

Eh, lets not try to blame the other partners for everything that happens with the game.
    @Tanthalas Keep cool please, i am not offensive.
    Nobody know raison for this delay.
    Where is the problem? a big bug game? partners want more clauses in contract or more time for validation? dev want more adding and improvemnts?
    I make only hypothesis, i want the best game forever, i am patient until the release for this edition.

• mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited September 2012

Just wait till Overhaul does Duke Nukem Forever: Enhanced Edition :D

I think it's scheduled for 2110... But it will bankrupt 5 developers before release. That's the problem with cursed itens. :)

The_New_Romance[Deleted User]jhart1018
This discussion has been closed.