Skip to content

[mod] Will of the Wisps - Shamanic enhancements

Comments

• Max_WangMax_Wang Member Posts: 53
    are you adding this to the bwp, or have you already?
  •  TheArtisan TheArtisan Member Posts: 3,277
    @Max_Wang

I think you should probably ask the people working with BWP about that rather than Lava. Last I recall, he said to me via PM that @agb1 was helping him out with that.
    if that pm is so, i won't bother pestering them with more "is it ready yet is it ready yet" posts. i'll just scan their BWP thread until its announced. this will be an excellent addition.
  • LavaDelVortelLavaDelVortel Member Posts: 2,678
    Firstly - yes, it's not me who's addingthe mods, but BWP guys. Secondly - I believe new projects should be added to BWP and other projects like that when we know that there are no serious bugs. Well, no true reports/feedback was posted about Will, stronghols, kits etc, so... I just hope that it's because everything is working fine, rather than because no one plays the mod.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    @Max_Wang are you talking about Big World Project (BWP) or Big World Setup (BWS). Because these are two separate projects maintained by different people. First is maintained by Leonardo Watson and second by @agb1 and @ALIEN (currently at least).
    Well, forgot to mention that, yes. That why I said "guys" because I wasn't sure who's responsible for BWP. @agb1 will problably help with BWS compatibility BUT when the time is right for both the mod and agb1 himself.
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Also AFAIK BWP is mostly tailored for vanilla engine. I'm not even sure if it supports EE's after all.
    there i got pressing enter too fast; BWS is what i use. i saw "agb1" and thought in my head... yeh that's the guy who helped me a ton trouble-shooting the program i was using.
  • Necromanx2Necromanx2 Member Posts: 1,246
    Trying this out. Started a BGEE game and the only thing I see so far (at lvl 3) is I did not have the group reputation penalty at start (had 10 which is what a True Neutral gets). Looking good otherwise. Will post my observations as I progress.

Thanks for the great work!
    I jumped to BG2EE and have been playing. Don't get the -1 to party reputation penalty. The Treants just stand around and let me kill them in Shade Lord area.

Got all the spells and abilities as noted, so for the most part all is well. Can't wait to see the stronghold quest.
    @Necromanx2

*cringe* I could've sworn I fixed the treant's AI... are you sure you're playing the most updated version of the mod?
    I have v1.1 installed.
    edited February 2017
    I got the stronghold and think it is cool. The Will-o-wisp scared me when it showed up in the thieves guild when I went to sell items. But it was the first night after the shadow lord defeat so it worked properly.

Am a little curious about the armor you can make as it is more Bard or dual/multi mage appropriate instead of Shaman. The dragon armor from the shadow lord dragon is better for the Shaman. Would have been nice to be more shaman specific.

P.S. If I were to have a vote on what the armor should be, I would request Shaman only where the ability is improved spirit dancing that allows for 1/4 to 1/2 movement while doing spirit summon dance.
    Post edited by Necromanx2 on

I got the stronghold and think it is cool. The Will-o-wisp scared me when it showed up in the thieves guild when I went to sell items. But it was the first night after the shadow lord defeat so it worked properly.

Am a little curious about the armor you can make as it is more Bard or dual/multi mage appropriate instead of Shaman. The dragon armor from the shadow lord dragon is better for the Shaman. Would have been nice to be more shaman specific.

P.S. If I were to have a vote on what the armor should be, I would request Shaman only where the ability is improved spirit dancing that allows for 1/4 to 1/2 movement while doing spirit summon dance.

IIRC you can get it regardless of whether you get the stronghold or not so it's the one item that doesn't need to be shaman-specific. And I don't think your suggestion is possible to implement.
    OK. Thanks!

Liking the kit allot.
    Hey. I'm glad you're enjoying the mod! :) Yes, the armor was always supposed to be more for casters and it is gain to you no matter what class you are. There are many others items for shamans and undead characters if you installed the component with "items" :) I think you could already find "caged light" in the temple ruins.
    I hope you'll also enjoy those small quests you receive as the grotto's protector!
    edited February 2017
    Had my first summons. Does the "Feeling" you get repeat in case I miss it? I went immediately, so not sure if reminders happen.
    Also, if you haven't finished all the summons, will it try to call you when you are on the asylum island or in the under dark (when you can't return)?

Is the spectral treant form immune to normal weapons (like other spectral creatures)?

Having fun with this. At 14th level and still have plenty of chapter 3 quests to do. Really like how the Witchlight kit added my high use mage spells (animate dead, skull trap, death spell) to a druid spell casting class without losing access to heal spells. The dance summons seem better as well compared to the normal Shaman.
    @Necromanx2

You only get reminded once per event. However, there's no time limit on how quickly you must return, so if you haven't gotten a message for a while then just check back at the stronghold. There is one particular event I discussed with Lava that should probably result in losing the grotto if you idle around for too long, but it hasn't been implemented yet.

I honestly can't remember if I coded immunity to normal weapons for the treant. I probably didn't.
    @Necromanx2 - don't forget to let me know once you finish all the stronghold quests! I wonder if you'll like them and I hope they blend in well when compared to other strongholds.

BTW, you guys always talk about the mod when it's 4:00 AM here :( I miss a nice talk every night...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    LavaDelVortel, I am on at this time as it takes until the end of my day to have time to play and get online (work and family are greedy mistresses).

I finished the second summons. Nice show though the fetching of items seemed dull.

Found a Shaman dagger with some +'s and -'s to it. Overall good, but equiping and unequiping several times can be hazardous. Love Lord Toadious (the name alone won me over).
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    @LavaDelVortel You one of the biggest workaholic I ever knew. And the most creative :)

Shaman class looks very "Baalish" as it is (aside from biography I am personally disagree with). It works with spirits, can control elementals and spells come naturally to him, no memorization (as it should be with a demi-god).

Your kit underlines class abilities even more - great job! But why the mod is only for BG2? No plans for BG1-SoD?
    @Necromanx2 => Well, the time difference is big, I guess. When you play and post, it's middle of the night here and... well, it's quite often like that. When I exchange messages with some users it's always hard to talk for a long time, because I'm just falling asleep! Heh. Anyway, I hoped to make a stronghold that would match original ones, and I must say that all strongholds seem full of... well, "go and talk" and "go and find" things, so I decided to follow the pattern. So yeah, you won't find big stuff like from my Colours of Infinity, but something simpler. With that approach it won't be like this particular class have better stories, things, areas etc. It was to be something between ranger's stronghold and druid's stronghold. Just with more rituals and ghosts. But I hope that even though you will find that content rewarding and rather nice than a waste of time :)

@Mirandel => Thanks! I designed the kit, but it's @Artemius_I who did most of the tech stuff, so I could focus on stronghold and the NPC.
    As for modding in general... well... I spend way too much time on modding, haha. I should be writing my thesis, but somehow I end up thinking about new characters or new places... I think it may be some kind of curse. As for BG1-SoD: you may install it on BG1-SoD! It should work just fine. Other things are just for BG2EE because... well, strongholds are BG2 thing, BG1 is balanced when it comes to new items and Will was always designed for BG2, not BG1. Plus it would take too much time to make him appear in both games + SoD.
    ThacoBell
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    @LavaDelVortel Got it! Obviously, you can not add stronghold to BG1 and I would not expect something like this even from you :) (From both of you, I know, of course, that you and @Artemius_l work together).
    Normally I am very couscous about class kits (always feels like I am about to break the game completely with such interference) but that mod and Tom&Blood with battle-sorcerers are irresistible :)

Good luck with your thesis - tough time and I do understand all to well the wish to distract yourself with something else. As a gamer I am not even sure what to wish you - a potion of will to finish your thesis or a long vocations to finish mods. :)
    edited February 2017
    @LavaDelVortel, thanks for all the great work you and @Artemius_l do! Good luck with you paper! I am so glad those days are behind me, though the busyness never goes away (especially if you start a family).

I got the merchant and he was selling a Long Sword that showed as usable by my Witchlight. However, the WL description says it cannot use a long sword. The sword was not a shaman only thing so I am curious on why the WL can use it?

Where can I find flies?
    @Necromanx2 - thanks. About the sword... uhm... I don't remember, to be honest. But I guess it's not a big problem anyway, so... As for the flies - they are far far far away in a dark and humid place. Observed.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    This was a great idea for a shaman kit. Seems like it fits my idea of a half orc shaman much better. NE choice would have been good to give a nod to the orcish god of death Yurtrus's shamans. The summons look great, esp. in night settings.
    Just trying it out in BG1 & SoD with the class but looking forward to seeing all the extra's in BG2.
    Fine work. The rakshasha and White NPC's are great as well. Thanks.
    Uhm, you're welcome. Heh. Enjoy the mod!
  • ThrasymachusThrasymachus Member Posts: 873
    I'm playing a shaman in BG1 now, and am looking forward to using this mod once I finish SoD.

One question: if the PC is a shaman, is there any reason to have Will in the party as well (e.g., unique dialogues)?
    Well, apart from being shaman, Will is also a flly developed NPC with dialogues, banters or even a small quest in the underdark (which is just an unique fight on a new area, but still...). Is that worth having two shamans? I won't answer that question, as I don't know :) I Never tried playing with two of them in the same group.
    Thrasymachus