Skip to content

What do you think of the voice actors of this Expansion?

Comments

• qwerty123456qwerty123456 Member Posts: 67
    I'm aware it's the original actor. But, what I said still stands.
  • EnilwynEnilwyn Member Posts: 140

From what I've heard, it actually took Cummings hearing Minsc to remember the character. That guy does a ton of voice acting, add 15 years, maybe some Scotch during the session: all good.
    ArunsunQuartzsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Viconia's voice and portrait are on point. didn't think i would enjoy a change but somehow it feels like it fits even more. Minsc is good as well but to a lesser extent.
    Quartz
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    Enilwyn said:

From what I've heard, it actually took Cummings hearing Minsc to remember the character. That guy does a ton of voice acting, add 15 years, maybe some Scotch during the session: all good.
    minsc's voice is also deeper in bg1 compared to 2.
    QuartzsemiticgoddessCrevsDaak
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577
    Overall I thought it was pretty good, didn't even notice Safana had a different voice actor. The one that bugs me for being really different is Dorn's, actually, which is weird, since his VA for the EEs has a lot less time separating it from SOD from when he did BG2:EE when compared to all the VAs that were in the original series.

At least there was nothing absolutely grating for me, like with the new content in BG2:EE. Merith in Neera's questline, and Cabrina in Hexxat's are just so bad, it's shameful. Seriously, somebody at beamdog couldn't bring their kid in on bring your daughter to work day to do Merith? It would have been 100x better than what went into the game. Every time I hear that VA, I just want to chunk that kid.
  • Abi_DalzimAbi_Dalzim Member Posts: 1,428

At least there was nothing absolutely grating for me, like with the new content in BG2:EE. Merith in Neera's questline, and Cabrina in Hexxat's are just so bad, it's shameful. Seriously, somebody at beamdog couldn't bring their kid in on bring your daughter to work day to do Merith? It would have been 100x better than what went into the game. Every time I hear that VA, I just want to chunk that kid.

I have made it a habit to kill Merith, but primarily to skip that tedious cutscene. If you catch her from offscreen with a fireball, then the others won't talk and you can kill everybody easily.
    DrHappyAngryCrevsDaak
  • DrHappyAngryDrHappyAngry Member Posts: 1,577

I have made it a habit to kill Merith, but primarily to skip that tedious cutscene. If you catch her from offscreen with a fireball, then the others won't talk and you can kill everybody easily.

Haha, that's awesome. Can you still recruit Neera, though? What does it do to her questline?

Haha, that's awesome. Can you still recruit Neera, though? What does it do to her questline?

Neera won't appear. I don't like her that much, though, so I don't feel the loss that much.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Abi_Dalzim

"I have made it a habit to kill Merith, but primarily to skip that tedious cutscene. If you catch her from offscreen with a fireball, then the others won't talk and you can kill everybody easily."

Is that when you first see Neera in the bridge district?
    If so, I could kiss you.
    Has to be the worst, most annoying intrusion in the whole saga and the thought of avoiding it fills me with joy.

I might actually like playing with Neera once in a while, (if she could be gagged) but her introduction scenes in BG and BG2 enrage me to the point where all I want to do is kill her, her family, the town she grew up in and dig up her dead ancestors to kill them again.

And they give her the only gem bag in BG..........................sadists.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    Love all the joinable NPCs voice acting. Didn't care for the rest.
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666

@Abi_Dalzim

"I have made it a habit to kill Merith, but primarily to skip that tedious cutscene. If you catch her from offscreen with a fireball, then the others won't talk and you can kill everybody easily."

Is that when you first see Neera in the bridge district?
    If so, I could kiss you.
    Has to be the worst, most annoying intrusion in the whole saga and the thought of avoiding it fills me with joy.

I might actually like playing with Neera once in a while, (if she could be gagged) but her introduction scenes in BG and BG2 enrage me to the point where all I want to do is kill her, her family, the town she grew up in and dig up her dead ancestors to kill them again.

And they give her the only gem bag in BG..........................sadists.

there is a mod that makes it so the cutscenes don't happen unless you speak to her.

https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/58941/mod-bgeenpc-tweaks-for-bgee-sod-bg2ee-eet

does the same thing for hexxat and rassad.
  • I found Corwins voice work to be a bit bland. Nothing awful in any retrospect, but nothing great either- seemed a but low-played.
    Really enjoyed Jacob Burgess' work as Glint, and goddamned loved Mark Meers performance with Baeloth
    Unsure if Khalids voice actor remained or if they used another one, but I actually almost preferred the newer voice clips over the old ones- had they kept his previous extra lines, I would've been won over entirely.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    I will spare you the Dorn flailing, of course I still love him in SoD. Especially the cage snafu scene voice acting, edgelords in hilarious situations are my jam :]

Apart from that, the cobalt moss lady at the very beginning? Amazing. Her dialogue and voice acting alone convinced me that I really need to play this game, asap. Seriously, she sent shivers down my spine, it seems like an entirely different voice, but she reminded me of this:

4:46

That's how you create mood without screaming CREEPY in everyone's faces. I really hoped that crazy moss lady Ammon would return at some point of the game, pity that she didn't.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBell
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Mr2150 said:

You mean zat all Frrench peepalls do not spick like zis?

It reminds me of the French English Policeman from 'Allo 'Allo

Ah, Crabtree, one of my favorite characters of all time. Chosen for his expertise, he's horrid at it and clueless to boot. I can still crack up my family by entering a room and saying "Goot moaning."

winters
    edited January 2017
    tbone1 said:

Ah, Crabtree, one of my favorite characters of all time. Chosen for his expertise, he's horrid at it and clueless to boot. I can still crack up my family by entering a room and saying "Goot moaning."

That's how stuff gets immortalised <3 We do the same thing. In Poland, using Polish disfigured "good morning". Dzin dybry.

Same for Polish version of "you need to gather your party before venturing forth", which has a few memes, a Facebook group and is used by people who have no clue what Baldur's Gate is.

Stuff of legends, as Minsc would say. I can't recall such a catchy quote from SoD though, but that probably means I need to pay closer attention to what Baeloth says next time I play it.
    winters said:

I will spare you the Dorn flailing, of course I still love him in SoD. Especially the cage snafu scene voice acting, edgelords in hilarious situations are my jam :]

Apart from that, the cobalt moss lady at the very beginning? Amazing. Her dialogue and voice acting alone convinced me that I really need to play this game, asap. Seriously, she sent shivers down my spine, it seems like an entirely different voice, but she reminded me of this:

That's how you create mood without screaming CREEPY in everyone's faces. I really hoped that crazy moss lady Ammon would return at some point of the game, pity that she didn't.

Interesting. I wouldn't go so far as to make that comparison, because although Ammon was pretty good, that Limha VA is just on another level of unsettling.
    winters
    @Abi_Dalzim that might be just sentiment speaking, but I automatically put Ammon in the same category as Limha based on her voice alone - "this lady is HIDING something, and it's horrifying". Horrifying in best way possible. I am still mildly disappointed that it wasn't so!
  • AndrewFoleyAndrewFoley Member Posts: 744

Unsure if Khalids voice actor remained or if they used another one,

It was Khalid's original voice actor, Jim Meskimen.
    JuliusBorisovThacoBelllolienCrevsDaak
  • BigfishBigfish Member Posts: 367
    Considering Baldur's Gate's voice direction was throwing Frank Welker in to a room and telling him to make pop culture references, I don't have a problem with SoD's voices. If anything it fits in perfectly.
    CrevsDaak
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    Every time Glint speaks I just want to hear more and more. He's absolutely perfect and sounds exactly how I envision a gnome to sound like. As for minor NPCs I'm still not finished with the game yet but there are only one or two notably bad ones so far. Also does Neera sound different? I like Neera a lot but it might just be that they are using different recording equipment.
    GenderNihilismGirdlerapsam2003CrevsDaak
  • ReadingRamboReadingRambo Member Posts: 598
    edited March 2017
    I could be wrong but when I heard Entar Silvershield I thought it was Edwin's voice actor. And it sounded like Edwin trying really hard not to sound like Edwin :smiley:
    CrevsDaakArunsun
  • LamaPatateLamaPatate Member Posts: 10
    Oh lord, I just began the Siege of Dragonspear extension a little earlier, and normally I generally play most of my game with no sound, here I decided to enable it, and the first thing I hear is Entar Silvershield, what the baguette is this?
    I don't know for other characters, apparently from what I just read here, a few others are terrible to listen to with as stereotypical as the Silvershield Duke's one, still, I can't stop myself from laughing while listening him talking, it's juste priceless.
    In plus, I thought it was justified by the fact his name stands for "Entar Écudargent" in my game, but that's because some words and name are in my mother tongue (French) while pretty much like the whole extension remains untranslated, I guess they reused some variables from the BGEE files, then some aren't English.
    But his name do is "Silvershield", so I don't understand why he sounds like that, I saw someone saying his accent was French, yes it is, I can even be more precise by saying it's a Parisian accent (probably one of the ugliest in whole France), a very harsh one.
    I just checked on the wikia of the game, seems like the voice actor is Gregg Berger, his name is French (berger=shepherd), and he comes from Saint-Louis, you will maybe not believe it, but when he talks in English acting Silvershield, he really pronounces correctly some words in French, it even looks like he pronounces some words in French instead of pronouncing them in English like "Capitaine" instead of "Captain" or "Gratitude" (same orthography as in English).
    I didn't notice much since I laugh all along when he open his mouth, seriously I'm very pleased by this, it's so funny.

And by the way, even if this thread doesn't fit what I will say since it's pretty off-topic, I would say I'm very agreeably surprised by how I understand pretty easily the dialogues in this extension, for those who don't know about it, it hasn't been translated in any language other than English, so as I'm not fluent in English, I really thought I would have no fun at all trying to figure out every character speeches and journal entries, but actually, for now (I'm not so far from the beginning of the game) I had almost no problem at all to get what people could say.
    I was afraid because the guys who translated Beamdog in French are very proficient regarding both languages English and French, so they use very fancy French words in their translations, so I assumed English version was as pedantic as the French one, this is not the case.
    I don't say they do bad work, not at all, I love what volunteers translators are doing, I read them talking about not giving up translating BG2EE, I could even make donation for them to not lose their motivation.
    SethDavisPaulGreystokesmeagolheartAyiekie
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    argent77 said:

The voices of several Flaming Fist members bother me somewhat. They sound more like today's special forces members than medieval city guards. Corwin could also sound a bit more "medieval", imo. The voices of the remaining new NPCs are great though.

I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST.
    CrevsDaaksemiticgoddessThacoBell
  • AstroBryGuyAstroBryGuy Member Posts: 3,437
    Kaliesto said:

argent77 said:

The voices of several Flaming Fist members bother me somewhat. They sound more like today's special forces members than medieval city guards. Corwin could also sound a bit more "medieval", imo. The voices of the remaining new NPCs are great though.

I SERVE THE FLAMING FIST.
    Ic fierdre þá byrnfýste! (in a poor attempt at Old English, for that "medieval" vibe :wink: )
    tbone1ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • smeagolheartsmeagolheart Member Posts: 7,963

AH SURVE THUH FLAMING FYIST

The flaming fist recruit heavily out of Houston
    Gynsburghesemiticgoddessrapsam2003CrevsDaak
    edited March 2017

The flaming fist recruit heavily out of Houston

AH AM THUH LAORE!

...Judge Dredd just had his wisdom teeth done.
    ThacoBellCrevsDaak
  • Necroscope86Necroscope86 Member Posts: 79
    I think overall the VA was brilliant (minus a certain Grand Duke *cough*). Have to say, bringing back David Warner was genius!
    ThacoBell