Skip to content

Name the Community Magazine!

deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
Thank you all for your suggestions to name the new community magazine here on the Beamdog Forums. After consulting with some drunken monkey's we have narrowed the list of names down to a small handful.

Please select the name that you wish to name the community magazine. The winner will be revealed in the next issue. (well it will be revealed by showing the show results or voting, but ya!)

*If you vote for The Wizard's Scroll, please note we actually need to find an alternative name for it as that name has been taken. Moving the punctuation won't help (@God). So if you can think of something similar, mention it in the comments below.

Thanks again for all the feedback from the magazine. We all look forward to releasing the next issue to you all in March.

1. Name the Community Magazine!42 votes
    1. The Monthly Turnip
      28.57%
    2. d Infinity/ d∞
      11.90%
    3. The Conjurer
        0.00%
    4. The IMP
        7.14%
    5. Wild Surge
      38.10%
    6. The Wizard's Scroll*
      14.29%
[Deleted User]ArctoduslolienCrevsDaakdunbarJuliusBorisovPapa_LouNonnahswriterAnduin

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited February 2017
    Isn't it a wizards spell book though? One scroll is just one spell.

Oh and doo, is that the friend of boo and goo? :smiley: that would call for a mascot.
    [Deleted User]
    edited February 2017
    [Deleted User]deltagoCrevsDaak
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    My only regret is that S-M-R-T didn't make it. ( TT~TT )
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526
    Wild Surge - definitely! It has some ring to it, already sounds like a title to some writing, hints on unpredictability of the content and fits our community description :)
    [Deleted User]
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Went with the option that also references Blackadder
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaakwubbledunbar
    edited February 2017
    [Deleted User]kanisathaThacoBellwubble
  • tconnollytconnolly Member Posts: 1
    An alternative to Wizard's Scroll, I suggest "Tome of Understanding."
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    For The Wizard's Scroll, why be limited to only changing the word "wizard"? Why not something like: The Wizard's Grimoire? The Wizard's Tome? The Wizard's Manual?
    [Deleted User]
  • FlashburnFlashburn Member Posts: 1,847
    But I liked "The Diviner"...
    [Deleted User]
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    The gnome liker in me loves the Monthly Turnip
    CrevsDaak
    edited February 2017
    lolien
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    edited February 2017
    But just think of the hilarity when some noob comes along and asks "Why is the magazine called the monthly turnip" and we all get to give our best Jan Jansen answer.

edit: and if there is no clear winner, I'll make an either or poll with the top two or three names.
    [Deleted User]lolienJuliusBorisov
    edited February 2017
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    I had thought that Wild Surge was a really good name until I saw it in isolation and out of context; when it immediately brought all sorts of unfortunate images to mind, none of which had anything to do with D&D.

Consequently I voted for The Monthly Turnip, mostly for it's whimsy but also on the assumption that, in much the same way as "So long and thanks for all the fish" was subtitled 'The fourth book in the Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy', "Monthly" will also be wildly inaccurate.
    [Deleted User]lolien
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    Less than 10 votes for the front runner seems like everything is possible.

None of the choices really pop for me. What is the exact premise of the journal? Infinity engine things? Dnd in general? Beamdog specific? Based on that I would tailor the name a bit.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    I don't like the Montly Turnip name. Who even came up with it?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wrong assumption. Who told you I would like "The Wizard's Scroll?"
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Equally, things can be too 'clever'. To my mind the 'Infinity' sign option, whilst being intellectually pleasing, is bordering on the pretentious.
  • Troodon80Troodon80 Member, Developer Posts: 4,110
    • d Infinity/ d∞ (this isn't a legally registered trademark, so you should be fine; just one of those things where "they were there first.")
    • The IMP (careful with acronyms). Also, other non-capitalised uses (again, just be careful with trademarks; Bethesda sued over the use of "Scroll" in the name of a game, that's your absolute worst case scenario. This isn't a legally registered trademark, though, so you should be fine)
    • Wild Surge (trademark application pending; this is probably the only one where you might actually run into legal problems, though it's probably not very likely that you will)
    Not to spoil the fun or anything, just... be careful. Remember to do your homework. :-)
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaak
    edited February 2017
    winters
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Troodon80 said:

• d Infinity/ d∞ (this isn't a legally registered trademark, so you should be fine; just one of those things where "they were there first.")
    • The IMP (careful with acronyms). Also, other non-capitalised uses (again, just be careful with trademarks; Bethesda sued over the use of "Scroll" in the name of a game, that's your absolute worst case scenario. This isn't a legally registered trademark, though, so you should be fine)
    • Wild Surge (trademark application pending; this is probably the only one where you might actually run into legal problems, though it's probably not very likely that you will)
    Not to spoil the fun or anything, just... be careful. Remember to do your homework. :-)
    As long as the names are not being used for other types of publications, we should be fine. The wild surge trademark is for electronic gambling machines so consumers will not be confused with our product and their's unlike the Bethesda example you provided.

As I said, the only name we may run into trouble with is the Wizard's Scroll Magazine. I was compelled to keep it in, because it received more votes from the drunken monkey's than any other suggestion. If this name won, I'd do another poll (please don't ban me) with 2 or 3 alternative names that's work and not cause confusion with the fanzine.
  • winterswinters Member Posts: 252
    About jokes getting stale - sadly, the turnip idea might be a textbook example of this problem. I will spare you the linguistic torture, since the issue I ran into is in dragonspeak meaning Polish, but long story short.
    About two years ago we started a zine, that was just a reactionary thing at first - nothing's going on in this city when it comes to sf&f, let's change it! We didn't have a solid idea, and we just went along with a name that played with Cosmopolitan title in a way that's everything but serious.
    Two years, eight issues and one Eurocon later, we're stuck with a brand that's really popular, has positive reviews, high quality, and ended up in a few European libraries, but its name is still ridiculous. And we can't really change it. We didn't change it on time. Most of us hate it, but it's not something anyone really admits openly. All in all, it sucks. Don't do it.
    [Deleted User]CrevsDaaklolien
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    I adore all of those options, in all honesty. I think this was the most difficult poll I've come across on this forum so far, lol.

I ultimately decided on The Monthly Turnip. It's extremely unique, and I think it's a good shout out to a fan favourite character in the series.

Or, if not a fan favourite, at least an extremely memorable character, one way or another.
    JuliusBorisovlolien
    Papa_Lou said:

I ultimately decided on The Monthly Turnip. It's extremely unique, and I think it's a good shout out to a fan favourite character in the series.

I'm not fan of this series apparently ;]
This discussion has been closed.