All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• MornmagorMornmagor Member Posts: 1,160
    A key you'll need
    A key you'll see
    The one you'll face
    takes blood as fee

There i said it o.o

And i didn't even sign an NDA so i have no idea what i'm talking about, but i felt like rhyming ;P
    mlneveseCrevsDaaklolien
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    In surprised to see Torment ADS on YouTube.
    CrevsDaak
  • NimranNimran Member Posts: 4,875
    SethDavis said:

Luke93 said:

I was thinking of something more interesting but at the same time not super revealing.....

the game contains... a key!
    Are you the keymaster?
    CrevsDaakChidojuanmlneveseNonnahswriter
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    Nimran said:

SethDavis said:

Luke93 said:

I was thinking of something more interesting but at the same time not super revealing.....

Are you the keymaster?
    No, I am Zuul.
    mlnevese
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    edited March 2017
    Nimran said:

SethDavis said:

Luke93 said:

Are you the keymaster?
    Ghostbusters: Baldur's Gate Edition confirmed...
    CrevsDaakShapiroKeatsDarkMage
  • Jirayia2Jirayia2 Member Posts: 18
    Thats a great info. I think they wait with 3rd for a new engine, then IWD2 to wait for BG3. But I think those kinds of games need their own engine build from the scratch, especially if they wanna go next 20 years with it.
    modestvolta
    Jirayia2 said:

Thats a great info. I think they wait with 3rd for a new engine, then IWD2 to wait for BG3. But I think those kinds of games need their own engine build from the scratch, especially if they wanna go next 20 years with it.

These days, building an engine from scratch is - imho - nonsensical. There's so many excellent engines. Look at Torment: Tides of Numenara, which just came out. It uses the Unity Engine (which is purchasable or available for free if you don't publish your game). Pics:

It has that classic isometric RPG look, but with a new, better, more robust engine than any of those old game engines (including the EE Engine, I would posit).
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    CrevsDaak
    edited March 2017

...and not moddable.

Actually, Unity Engine is moddable - IF the developer provides the tools for it. And that's the same for any engine, modern or not. If the developer doesn't provide the tools, then we have to have users code it. Using DLCTEP as an example, that was written in C++. Near Infinity was written in Java, iirc. And, for the record, I've even found/used some tools for doing limited modding on Unity.
    Post edited by rapsam2003 on
  • KaliestoKaliesto Member Posts: 282
    edited March 2017

PK2748 said:

BG3 : Tales of the Winged Gnome is the obvious next step, Aerie's child with the gnome protagonist as the PC needs to be explored.

Frankly I just want to see them build games based on the second edition rule set of AD&D. I don't like later editions nearly as much

2nd edition is too old for marketing standards(plus no dragonborns) now. and frankly i'm tired of pre-wotc d&d fans trying to prevent me from enjoying 3.5 and 5e

In my personal opinion, I never like what DnD became later down the road, I thought they were putting in too many nonsensical races & monsters filling up a particular world, and you can't have a world filled up with all these powerful beings, and where Humans somehow magically survive all this nonsense, it is amazing they even do! DnD grabbed most of it's inspiration from Tolkien & possibly few other sources, but over time everyone wanted to throw their two cents in, and as they say "too many chefs spoil the soup". Personally I'm getting tired of the newer generation acting like they know what DnD is, but clearly they do not. My father was part of that scene, and told me clearly what DnD was, and what it is not. DnD went down hill when they introduced Monsters of Mythology way back in the day (Some of the ideas were pretty dumb). 2nd Edition was to a point tolerable, but 3rd and onward just want to dump on everything. Most of the original fans of DnD quit the whole series entirely because they saw the writing on the wall, and didn't want to part of a franchise basically ruining the game.

The response for all this on a few occasions I've seen? "Oh you're just a purist!"

No! We just don't want dumb crap ruining DnD!

First off..VAMPIRE OF ANYTHING DOES NOT WORK, and IT CANNOT WORK because that is a HUMAN DISEASE based off OF MYTHOLOGY of a VAMPIRE.

5th edition I guess makes "some effort" to go back to how things should work, but I wish people would quit making up THE MOST STUPID MONSTERS I'VE EVER SEEN.

People really need to base their monsters from mythology more, but I'm not against original monsters, the original monsters just need to MAKE SENSE & ACTUALLY FIT.
    lolien
  • GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    Tolkien's soup was spoiled from the start, they needed more chefs to improve the recipe tbqh
    CrevsDaak
    edited March 2017
    You clearly never read the guidebook of Tolkien's world.
    Read -

The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth For Dummies (Yes that is the name, I'm not trying to insult you). There was nothing wrong with his work aside from a few technical errors (stuff he never finished that his family is currently working on).
    *looks at that book on my bookshelf*

nope, we have different opinions on that soup I'm tellin' ya
    CrevsDaak
    edited March 2017
    Well I don't know what else to say. All I'm saying is that fantasy creations can't be over saturated with gods know what.

Tolkien's world had a structure that doesn't need over abundance of crazy going on which I'm glad outside sources has respected, but I wish i can say the same for DnD worlds. The only agreement maybe you & me can agree on that his world is basically unfinished, we never got to see what the rest of the world was like, and will probably never know. I would say if someone is willing to expand on that then it needs to make sense, and respectful to material.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Nothing is ruined in DnD when headcanons rule the day and half the world has barely been fleshed out
    tbone1
    I don't disagree with that in regards to world building, half of the world of Toril has barely been touched on.

edited March 2017
    Yeah, I'd say that even what has been fleshed out in Tolkien's world by Tolkien himself (my opinion only) isn't 100% free of rotten things, but I wasn't speaking of his world so much as the patterns fantasy gaming have been replicating and building on and extending in a general sense not being free of rot (and I'd say Greenwood and Toril isn't necessarily free of rot either) and I was just saying that I actually appreciate the collaborative aspect of adding, over time, more "chefs" so to speak and improving the formulas and tightening things up over time.

Any fantasy series with flaws has one flaw that fantasy gaming doesn't share with it, and that's the ability to create collaborative fiction with your friends to address those things yourself, but there's a micro version of that in the tabletop gaming industry collaborating over decades, and over many different design philosophies and conceptual alterations (some good/some bad, obv), to build on a fantasy setting (or indeed an RPG setting of any genre). I say micro rather than macro, btw, because I find the impact you and your friends can have on a setting has such a personal and more impactful feel, but I could see the argument for the micro/macro distinction going the other way for someone with a different perspectival lens on that.

But again, just my personal onion on that, collaborative fiction and collaborative world building are things I adore, warts and all, and partially that's because more advanced forms of wart removal emerge out of the hard work and dedication of game designers and writers over time.
    CrevsDaakThacoBell
    Kaliesto said:

I don't disagree with that in regards to world building, half of the world of Toril has barely been touched on.

What half? I can think back to modules even in AD&D2 PnP that touched on things in "remote parts" of Faerun.
    edited March 2017

Kaliesto said:

What half? I can think back to modules even in AD&D2 PnP that touched on things in "remote parts" of Faerun.
    That's Faerun though, the continent. I'm speaking Toril as a whole, things like Maztica & Kara-Tur(which only had a briefly popular stint), and other continents that only got finally featured by fan content back in the old NWN1&2 days. I like Faerun the continent alot, but to me it gets featured too much in video games & Fan content.
    CrevsDaak
    edited March 2017
    Kaliesto said:

That's Faerun though, the continent. I'm speaking Toril as a whole, things like Maztica & Kara-Tur(which only had a briefly popular stint), and other continents that only got finally featured by fan content back in the old NWN1&2 days. I like Faerun the continent alot, but to me it gets featured too much in video games & Fan content.

I don't disagree, but there were old modules with that. I actually personally dislike how WotC has been focusing so much on Faerun. We have like 20 possible settings, and - for 3 editions - the focus has been Faerun... But the older modules featuring greater Toril, if you will, do exist.

And much of that "fan content" really wasn't canon, which was the point of choosing some obscure part of Toril as the setting. Those old PWs weren't restricted by well-established lore.

• tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited March 2017
    Personally, I miss Greyhawk. One of my favorite PnP games was everyone playing elves in the High Forest, fighting the hordes of Iuz.
    CrevsDaakbleusteelrapsam2003GenderNihilismGirdle
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    WotC stick with Faerun because there is a familiarity to it.

The player doesn't need to learn a bunch of new lore as well as keep pace with the story.
  • _Luke__Luke_ Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,535
    On topic: March 31st is closer and closer, meaning that it's been almost a year since SoD.... Please, stop with this secrecy.....
  • TheGreatKhanTheGreatKhan Member Posts: 106
    I always wanted a more modern Dark Sun game myself. I still have my old Wake of the Ravager disk, that I've had for whats gotta be like 18 years now. Shame no one ever really had a chance to make a good isometric game of that setting.
    mlneveseCrevsDaakGenderNihilismGirdle

I always wanted a more modern Dark Sun game myself. I still have my old Wake of the Ravager disk, that I've had for whats gotta be like 18 years now. Shame no one ever really had a chance to make a good isometric game of that setting.

Yeah, best we got so far is GoG configured a version of it to work with DOSBox and such, natively. So, the digital copy runs pretty smooth on most modern systems.
    mlneveseCrevsDaakGenderNihilismGirdle
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    @Kamigoroshi You should shapechange into something with more tentacles... I really liked the trend that all those tentacle crossings were showing. :)
    KamigoroshiCrevsDaakGenderNihilismGirdle