Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• Corey_RussellCorey_Russell Member Posts: 995
    @CrevsDaak Note that even Imoen with her default pick pocket can get Dushai's ring. In my install, I can't stack buffing potions, so I use a potion of perception, genius, and thieving to increase her skill up to 100 before making an attempt. But if you can stack thieving potions in your install then easy-peasy. A free action ring is worth the cost of potions I think, as it's the best defense to web (and fighter types with poor saves vs death love it against the many undead types that hold (ghasts, ghouls, vampiric wolves, etc.), and you don't get another (far as I know) until you beat the 5th floor of the Iron Throne baddies.
    CrevsDaakStummvonBordwehrJuliusBorisov
  • CrevsDaakCrevsDaak Member Posts: 7,155
    @Corey_Russell I also use it a lot to steal away potions and other items from neutral NPCs.
    Corey_RussellJuliusBorisov
    @CrevsDaak I see why you're doing that to Montaron then. One option instead is a bard though (who gives you great IDing ability as well as some spells, but also wands and can use scrolls), let them deal with that job, and the thieves can hide, snares, traps, locks, etc., but do as you will.
    CrevsDaakJuliusBorisov
  • PokotaPokota Member Posts: 858
    @Neverused I presume one of the following is true.
    1) You will be reworking your proficiencies in BG2
    2) A BG2 mod allows clerics to use (Compound) Short Bows
    3) You will be abandoning shortbows once you reach Cleric dual
    JuliusBorisov
  • DodoroqDodoroq Member Posts: 15
    Thanks, @Corey_Russell, I believe I have quite good image of where traps are in BG1, unless new ones appeared in EE I am not aware of. Those mandatory I remember are mines, camp chest, cloakwood webs, Devaeron, Candlekeep basement and Undercity, plus many more on various chests and sidequests. I am anxious to see how far I can get (both in story and in levels) prior to getting killed - there are few critical milestones for a solo caster - basically anything up to lvl 4 can lucky-crit me, after 4 the biggest killer is carelessness IIRC and then my enemy are failed saves and different holds, panics, horrors and similar.
    CrevsDaaklolienWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
    @Dodoroq yep think you got it - so you are going to metagame those. Even though you are RPing, doesn't mean you can't use common sense. E.g., for example you see Tarnesh (who clearly looks like a mage type) walking towards you - there's no reason not to put up resist fear in case he turns hostile for example. Same thing with Cloakwood Mines and Drassus - you know this is hostile territory, makes full sense to have long lasting buffs up in case of trouble. I did a RP run where I meta-gamed nothing but traps - that is, I went to NO area unless the game told me to go there. E.g., main quest unless side quest/area info was obtained. I was missing a massive amount of equipment at the end vs. Sarevok, and low level but somehow my character beat BG 1.
    ArctodusCrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    @Pokota It's Item Revisions: it allows for multi (and presumably dual classed) clerics and druids to use the other halves' weapon allowances, but at half specialization. I dunno how this interacts with something already in grandmastery, though I'm going to find out as soon as I hit Cleric 10. What I am going to do with EEKeeper, though, is keep Imoen as a pure thief and give Neera her extra INT point back: I spent a tome on it, after all. :tongue:

@Dodoroq There's also the random Charm trap in the Flesh golem cave that's literally game-ending, so be careful of that if you go in there!
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Neverused said:

@Dodoroq There's also the random Charm trap in the Flesh golem cave that's literally game-ending, so be careful of that if you go in there!

I agree that's one to watch for. Nearly all the traps in EE are as in vanilla, but there are 4 traps in the golem cave that are not in vanilla (I think they were supposed to be, but were not implemented properly).
    CrevsDaakWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovCorey_Russell
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    @Dodoroq In EE there is an extra trap in Candlekeep, so ensure that you have full health before you go opening chests. That advice of course applies everywhere.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Or so I thought. We knock her out with Command, but we just don't have the APR to get through all of her Mirror Images and Stoneskins. She survives the first attack and slays Tiax with a Minor Sequencer.

It always seems a bit unfair when enemies do that to me - is there any logic in allowing a charmed creature to cast spells, but not use special abilities?
    semiticgoddessWise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisov
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    That's some analogy there :)
    semiticgoddessAerakarCrevsDaakJuliusBorisov