Skip to content

Why do monsters follow you like zombies when you are invisible?

St. AndrewSt. Andrew Member Posts: 86

Comments

• St. AndrewSt. Andrew Member Posts: 86
    WTF is this?
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    I'll admit that is a bit buggery. I spose one could say they see or hear footsteps if we really made a reach. Although it is possible to get hemmed in by too many critters if not careful.
    With HinS I know they stop following after getting close.

Seems like this is a change from the original but is has been a while.

Now undead I might could see it. House rule back in PnP days were that they could smell brains when near and still attack(with a penalty). Yeah, I liked Return of The Living Dead (1985), hehheh.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    St Andrew, we've already warned you about choosing words in your comments. The Site rules set the Teen rating for this forum, so using words like "WTF" is completely unneeded.

There's an instructions thread - https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/49845/how-to-report-bugs#latest, which asks you to search if the bug was already reported: "you want to click on the "Issues" tab and look through or search to see if the issue has already been reported."

If you search for "Invisibility", you will see http://redmine.beamdog.com/issues/23662 "Enemies should not follow characters and crowd them while that character is hidden".

So please, look for already reported issues before creating bug reports, format your bug reports in the due way, and don't use words like ****ing, WFT etc. Thanks.
    Well that explains it, pesky ol bugs again. :)
    WTF = What the frick. I cannot access redmine.

Yeah believe it or not with hide in shadows it is worse, because it tends to fail its check pretty quick when getting close to enemies.

I tried pretty hard to roleplay with the change in npc behavior like this, and while I don't think it is unreasonable for them to follow a bit, and mosey around a little like they are looking for me... (very similar to how it has always been)

but this, this feels like I am the head zombie of a giant horde.

A move silently check could make sense if there was a small amounts of this behavior........

@JuliusBorisov Do you know when things like this gets fixed? This only started recently and it has made my assassin unplayable.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,723
    You should be able to register on Redmine without problems. You don't even need to register there to check for existing reports, though.

The bugs will be fixed when Beamdog return to patching the EEs. https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/comment/863645/#Comment_863645
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    it could also be in the scripting of the enemy, not necessarily a bug

there are scripting commands that make it as soon as a monster has "sight" of your character they will follow that character ( usually led by an attackreavaluate) but if the monster cannot see your character ( because of some invisibility effect) then they can only perform the "follow character" command

so I think it's in the scripting for why the monsters are doing what they are doing
    Yeah I do think it has something to do with the scripting, but if you could see a video of what i'm talking about, you'd agree... there's just no way that this is working as intended. Like in some zones, if you even start combat from being hidden.. like.. the entryway into the underground tunnels, it starts combat with every monster in the zone. I mean, the orc pack all the way on the other side, wyverns, etc.. they all flock halfway across the map and start working and buffing communally lol. So i can hide in shadows and lead like, 50 plus monsters of varying types, orcs, raiders, crusaders and the like, all around the map like zombies
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    It's scripts:
    kjeron said:

It's quite ridiculous, especially in the Black Pits.
    Many enemies are scripted to fully or partially ignore Charm, Fear, and Invisibility.
    Such as these:

IF
    	!Allegiance(Myself,ENEMY)
    	OR(2)
    		AreaCheck("OH9310")
    		AreaCheck("OH9350")
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		Enemy()
    		Continue()
    END
    If my Allegiance isn't "Enemy", change my Allegiance back to "Enemy". Charmed is an Allegiance. End Result: Remove any Charm or Domination effect.

One of these for each Player slot and for summons:
    IF
    	ActionListEmpty()
    	OR(2)
    		!Detect([PC])
    		!Detect(NearestEnemyOf(Myself))
    	InMyArea(Player1)
    	HPGT(Player1,1)
    	RandomNum(6,1)
    THEN
    	RESPONSE #100
    		MoveToObject(Player1)
    END

If I cannot detect the Player Character(such as them being invisible), but they are alive and on the same map, move to and follow them anyway.

Their script that controls using potions and casting defensive/curative spells has a higher priority than them being panicked, allowing them to take actions they should not be able to take.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    To paraphrase Vyvyan in "The Young Ones": It's because you smell. Smelly!"

Perhaps you need Melf's Soap of De-reeking.
    @tbone1 Great show that was.

Some critters DO have better smell, after all.