Skip to content

Xan portrait problem

ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
Something changed recently in my setup and I cannot figure out the problem with Xan's portrait.
Some mod update I reckon, just not sure which as I have not run with him in a while. I know I did not specifically add it in and off itself.

He now has this picture (well, the top half anyway) on the character info screen but a blank question mark on the party roster, right side of screen.
Portrait is OK just tired of looking at the blank question mark. It shows up in the override files with his L,M,,and S. Not sure why they all had the 210x size but all the others do and work fine.

Only mods I can think that were updated recently was chatty imoen and BGNPC project, not sure why they would affect it though, so maybe something else I missed.

Any ideas or fixes?

Comments

• ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    Amazing. Drawing total blanks here huh. :)
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    If you're getting a ? that usually means its too big or its not in png format. You can resize it in paint.
    edited May 2017
    @WarChiefZeke , Weird thing is, all the portraits in the override folder were sized the same as his,210x in .bmp format as well. Only his shows up as ? though, except for the L size. I changed his to the 169x and 54x for M and S portraits but no change.
    Now I know the mod that changed this S9 BGEENPC Tweaks for BGEE / SOD / BG2EE / EET by @smeagolheart
    All portraits fine but Xan's.
  • jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    The solution here was to use a file which name starts with a small letter.
    Interesting. I found that ALL of the portraits are in Upper Case, but only XAN doesn't work. XZARL,VICONIL, etc. On the mod thread am now hearing that it happens with the PPE mod without this BGEENPCTWEAKs mod.
    https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/58941/mod-bgeenpc-tweaks-for-bgee-sod-bg2ee-eet/p2
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    Yes, I'm reproducing the same problem. Xan's larger portrait is displaying just fine on his character record, (mine still uses his default portrait, FWIW), but the smaller portrait on the side of the screen is just the question mark icon.

The only mods I have installed are:
    Sirene NPC
    Continuous Viconia Appearance
    PPE
    IWDification
    Tweaks Anthology
    NPC_EE

So that should narrow down the list of potential culprits. PPE seems like the obvious suspect. (Also worth noting that I don't have *any* Xan-related .bmps in my override folder, so I am inclined to believe the problem has nothing to do with their presence or absence.)
  • SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859
    One last note: Installing @lefreut's "allow customization for all characters" tweak lets me change Xan's portrait. If I select his own portrait again, the small version shows up in the sidebar and the issue is resolved.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Yep, I was having this same problem as well last time I played. I'd never taken Xan before, and was frustrated when I couldn't figure out why his portrait had disappeared.

I also remember the name above his head being a smaller font size than the rest whenever I pressed tab.

None of this affects gameplay in the slightest, but still rather lame.

I also had the same mods installed, so when I re-install the BG games on my new computer, I'll skip the portraits section of S9 and see if that fixes anything. Will update you all when I get around to that, if the problem hasn't been fixed by then.
    @Papa_Lou Great, I'd be interested if it does.
  • TryfanTryfan Member Posts: 1
    I solved the problem in BGEE by adding just a XAN.bmp into the ...\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits folder (size 54x85). Without any L,M or S at the end. Suddenly the small portrait was there.
  • XistakaXistaka Member Posts: 1
    Tryfan wrote: »
    I solved the problem in BGEE by adding just a XAN.bmp into the ...\Documents\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition\portraits folder (size 54x85). Without any L,M or S at the end. Suddenly the small portrait was there.

You save my games!! Thanks man, I know this is an old threads and all but this really fix it. Making the first letter small only makes the "question mark" portrait disappear but Xan portrait is still not visible.

All I did to fix this is by making a duplicate file of "xANS.bmp" file. Then rename the duplicate "xANS.bmp" file into "xAN.bmp". After that then viola~ Xan portrait suddenly appears now ☺