Skip to content

Yet another alignment test

I saw this as clickbait on Facebook. Strangely, it was posted by a former symphony colleague. I don't think she knew it was Dungeons and Dragons.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/awesomer/whats-your-alignment?utm_term=.laL7odEXM#.ofqDLzwv7
RavenslightOrlonKronsteenZaghoulBlackravenJuliusBorisov

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I got chaotic good on this one. That's the first time a quiz ever gave me that particular alignment. Note that I was being honest about what I would actually do, not necessarily whether I thought it was the *right* thing to do, or whether it met my ideal of goodness. It's not much of a quiz, though. It's just a short clickbait sort of thing.
    OrlonKronsteenRavenslightBlackraven
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    A strange result - it gave me lawful neutral. Never ever thought of myself as *lawful*.
    I mostly play chaotic good characters,
    OrlonKronsteenRavenslightBlackraven
  • RavenslightRavenslight Member Posts: 1,609
    I got chaotic good as well. Which is the alignment I most often pick for my characters.

I always wonder how they come up with, and then judge the questions on these things.
    OrlonKronsteenBelgarathMTHBlackraven
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    Chaotic neutral.
    Makes a change from true neutral which I usually get.
    OrlonKronsteenRavenslightGirewan
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Chaotic Good.

Absolutely no surprise there...
    RavenslightBlackraven
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    hmm I don't know, i somehow got neutral good, and i know for a fact that in real life i would be more lawful neutral, i think the problem is, there isn't many neutral options, a lot of them i would just do nothing instead of taking action

here is how i see myself in real life:

- i don't step on anyone's toes or get involved in anyone's business, what they do is up to them, and i have no business interfering
    - everyone deserves a second chance, everyone deserves a break whether they are good/neutral/ or evil
    - rules are rules, and that is just the way they are, whether it's morally right or wrong is kind of subjective to be honest ( usually cognitive bias plays a part here on what a "good" rule is compared to a "bad" one )
    - im not really an emotional personal ( although i do love comedy) but other than that, i never use emotion to dictate reasoning and ideas, and sometimes that comes out as cold hearted, but again irrelevant the truth is the truth, just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not true
    - with that being said, would i work with someone that is "evil", well that's a tricky one because again, "evil" can be subjective bias where one person would consider this person as "evil" while another wouldn't, so this is where the "lawful" part would come in and as long as the "evil" person is doing everything lawfully, there is nothing im going to do against that person, notice how i put EVIL in parenthesis every time, reason being; just because people may think someone is evil doesn't necessarily mean they are
    - now, if i had to choose the end of the good/evil spectrum no question asked i would choose the good side obviously, infact anyone neutral ( or even true neutral, if that is even possible for an educated and sentient human) would choose good, because then it comes down to the choice of; being in an environment where everyone is good to each other and no one has malice towards each other, or being in an environment where everyone is out to get one another stabbing each other in the back for their own personal gain, so it's pretty obvious what someone would choose if they have any rational reasoning at all
    - another reason why i think i have a more neutral look on life is that im very scientifically minded, one thing i like about science is that it takes the emotion out of the equation and strives to gives the facts as best it can ( you can pout all you want, but there is no dragon blocking the moon during an eclipse, just because you "feel" and "want to believe" there is, doesn't mean its ACTUALLY happening )
    - and perhaps that's another reason why i would tend toward the more "lawful" end of the spectrum, is again, science wants facts, that's all it cares about, and lets be honest, everything we own in the world, was constructed from some sort of science of one kind or another, in fact if you are reading this it couldn't have been down without science ( to build all the circuitry required to make this keyboard/PC im using/you're using) and when you build something of that complicated calibre its not down with chaos, there are implement plans/blue prints/ procedures to be taken place, so not only will it work when you need it, but not fry you at the same time - in fact the average PC is usually pumping out around 4 amps, it only takes .5 amps to kill someone, so in essence each time you use your PC you are interacting with a death machine, but thanks to scientific discipline you will be okay and shouldn't get fried-

so in short, i think the alignment test needs a bit of an overhaul, although fun to do just for the lulz and curiosity, it still has some tweaks, but then again, i doubt the test was made to be taken seriously so maybe i am the one who needs the overhaul HAW :)
    RavenslightBelgarathMTHDaevelon
  • VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    True Neutral which is my preferred alignment, neato.
    RavenslightOrlonKronsteenBlackraven
    @sarevok57

I know these tests are silly and just a bit if fun.
    But on the other hand, I always end up "true neutral", every single one. This is the first that's thrown in "chaotic" as a bit of variety.

Can you even be lawful neutral?
    That seems to me to be a contradiction. If you follow laws set down by others surely that affects your neutrality?

BelgarathMTHRavenslightBlackraven
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    edited June 2017
    They are kinda fun.
    Bout par for the course in my case, for many of these. B)
    EDIT: Forgot to add, CN.
    RavenslightArctodusBlackraven
  • ArctodusArctodus Member Posts: 992
    Got Lawful Neutral too. That's... just wrong. I've always been toward the Chaotic good/neutral trope (more and more neutral as I get older :p ), so that just came out of the blue. I'm no way in hell a Lawful type of person.
    RavenslightBlackravenBalrog99

Arctodus said:

Got Lawful Neutral too. That's... just wrong. I've always been toward the Chaotic good/neutral trope (more and more neutral as I get older :p ), so that just came out of the blue. I'm no way in hell a Lawful type of person.

So here we are, a club of lawful neutrals who think they have been wronged.
    Maybe this is the pattern - we don't believe in the law as we see it every day but we have this feeling of *right and wrong* and a desire for justice. Our protest shows we feel that there is something that should be corrected - by a law and justice we may dream of, even if in real life we have lost our illusions that it may exist. Gets me philosophical or such.
    If you have a feeling for "right and wrong" and a desire for justice, how can you be neutral?
    It's a contradiction. You don't start from a neutral position.
    ThacoBell
    Naw, naw , naw, LN for the non-LN's would be just fine. Put on the LN club badge, go to the conference, mingle a little, have a few drinks, some chit chat, etc. All the while, their buggin ya bout all this law stuff, ya can't take it anymore so just be pickin a pocket or two while their handin out tracts n such; some car keys, wallets, cigarette lighters, cell phones, spray paint the bathrooms "Keep your laws off me" Hehheh. BAM, got ya self an alignment change back to true or chaotic neutral, maybe even chaotic good. ;)B)

Sorry bout that @sarevok57 In RL meetin (LN), you didn't have the popo watching the exits did ya? ;):)
    Arctodus said:

@Arctodus Hehheh, Things a real chaotic person would say:"No way in hell a lawful type person" :)

@PaulaMigrate I could see that. The pattern you mentioned.

@UnderstandMouseMagic I always figured Supreme Court Justices might be LN, although some tend to stray a little when interpreting said laws. But the law is the moral for them, not out to use the law for themselves, or to necessarily help everyone all the time, just following the words on written on the paper. Or something like that I think.

That's a tough one to play out for me.
    As @sarevok57 was saying regarding science, and if I take that just a little further, some scientist folks are more interested in just the science, the plain facts, and others con figure out whether it is right or wrong. Seems kinda LN anyway.

A few different questions in this test was refreshing.
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905

Can you even be lawful neutral? That seems to me to be a contradiction. If you follow laws set down by others surely that affects your neutrality?

Lawful neutrals are neutral about good and evil, not about laws. I generally think D&D alignments are silly, but LN is in my mind one of the better ones. Lawful neutrals tend to live under the sway of authority. In general, they obey the laws of whoever is in charge and don't like to cause trouble. A classic example: think of the East German guards who watched over the Berlin wall. They had no problem shooting anyone who tried to escape, but when the wall finally fell they were only too happy to help in opening the gates and letting people out.
    Balrog99BelgarathMTHArdanis
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    You can only get CE if you add an answer to kill others. Seems limited to me. By lack of better evil answers I got CN where I normally get CE.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    @Iroumen , do you mean you just try to game the tests to get chaotic evil for fun? Because if that's what you really think you are in real life, that would make you some kind of murderer or robber who should be in prison or something.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    True Neutral.

The same alignment from almost all my characters.
    edited June 2017

@Iroumen , do you mean you just try to game the tests to get chaotic evil for fun? Because if that's what you really think you are in real life, that would make you some kind of murderer or robber who should be in prison or something.

That is a misconception. The alignment of a person is their moral compass. It does not mean they have to act upon it.

That said, I am very manipulative and persuasive without others realising, and I do believe that many people deserve the short end of the stick and sometimes plot in such direction of it is for the greater good (mostly me or those I consider among mine). Additionally, I am very aware of my internal struggles that constantly puts mankind beneath flora and fauna kind.

However, death wishes I do not have. And is robbery even evil, and under which context? The beggar that steals a loaf of bread may be of any alignment.
    Should I be in prison? I adhere to all the rules, in order to bend the ones I can on the side with approval of those that enforce them.

If you were to define a CE druid-rogue though, then that would be me. TN my ass. CN is a decent approximation though.

Anyway, carry on...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Iroumen Sounds more Lawful Evil to me.
    edited June 2017
    Yes, but the lawful part is a ruse.

You have an alignment, but you do not have to act upon it.
    lroumen said:

But if you don't, you get an experience penalty. The alignment system of D&D is designed to be a quick reference of the guidelines that one follows in their actions. If your not acting it, then it isn't your alignment.
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    edited June 2017
    Lawful Good for me, which coincides with all the other tests I've taken.

What’s Your Alignment?You Got: Lawful GoodYour actions are motivated by compassion and a sense of duty. You rarely do anything for your own benefit or gain, but rather in service of others.

Popular lawful good characters:
    Hermione Granger from Harry Potter
    Superman from DC Comics
    Leslie Knope from Parks and Rec
    OrlonKronsteenThacoBell
    ThacoBell said:

lroumen said:

But if you don't, you get an experience penalty. The alignment system of D&D is designed to be a quick reference of the guidelines that one follows in their actions. If your not acting it, then it isn't your alignment.
    That is part of the problem. Suppose I promise something, that would make it a lawful thing to do, however, within what time period do you need to break it to be chaotic. Chaotic smart breaks a promise without others knowing, so outside world will see lawful, whereas you are being chaotic...
    @ThacoBell Hmm,since many of these tests ask one to answer as one would in RL I am wondering if one could look at the exp penalty in 'the game' as similar to a serious moral dilemma one might experience in RL (RL alignment changes?) Sometimes it does slow one down, or occupy ones thoughts, with that in turn having an effect on ones performance on just about anything. Same thing with 'class' changes compared to RL dramatic career changes.

Just one of those RL vs 'in game' comparisons I reckon. :)B)

BelgarathMTHRavenslightThacoBell
    On another note, I have often thought is is not so easy to fit RL personalities into neat little boxes such as the alignment system of D&D, but, for in game purposes I reckon it does ok, to set basic guidelines.

Still, I enjoy the questions. I will say though, often times, as I KNOW what the test is after, and the types of characters I like to play vs how I might be in RL, it is sometimes difficult to choose with an unbiased opinion, especially if I have just been playing the game. In simpler terms, I find that the result I may want in the end, can sometimes get in the way of what I MIGHT answer.

Anyone notice something similar when taking these?
    BelgarathMTHJoenSoRavenslightThacoBell
    lroumen said:

ThacoBell said:

lroumen said:

That is part of the problem. Suppose I promise something, that would make it a lawful thing to do, however, within what time period do you need to break it to be chaotic. Chaotic smart breaks a promise without others knowing, so outside world will see lawful, whereas you are being chaotic...
    Too many lawful actions will change your alignment to lawful. How many depends on the game system :wink:
    Sounds like it only works in role playing then :)
  • SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    Lawful Neutral. I'd think of myself more as a NG than LN guy, but I dunno, it might be wishful thinking.