Skip to content

Ship Date Delay

Comments

• ZenForAllZenForAll Member Posts: 10
    I play in the meantime GW2 - But I look forward BG1 + BG2
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    I got enough games to keep me busy in the meantime, especially after my boyfriend having bought me tons of games. :p (Knowing me, I'll never get to finishing all of them. XD)
  • SleazyDragonSleazyDragon Member Posts: 1
    No Big deal, I'd prefer a quality product over a rush job any day. I haven't played an RPG in years due to time commitments. Now I have BG:EE waiting in the wings and Tales of Grimrock to keep me tied over till release.
  • jolly_bbjolly_bb Member Posts: 122
    As this is my first post - Hi All! I've been reading the forum for last 2 months, but decided to create an account just today. I'm also bothered by the delay... still, my bulk of free time will be mostly 15Nov - 15 Jan, so still gonna work for me...

In the meantime playing Crusader Kings 2 and trying to decide which class/kit to play when BGEE comes out finally. So far i've completed BG1+TotSC few times, as well as BG2SoA. Somehow never finished ToB properly (working on it now... 10 years ago got distracted by something else, or perhaps I just liked starting over too much to finish it :P)...
  • kitstjohnkitstjohn Member Posts: 3
    It is all good. Nov 30 will roll around just as quickly as yesterday did.
  • agree my friend, it will come as soon as you say "Attaaaack!"
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    Treyolen said:

@Kitteh_On_A_Cloud GOG saw a market opportunity and is trying to take advantage. It isn't personal. Should they be mad that Trent deliberately went after a game that they were already selling in an attempt to improve on the original and cut them out of the sales loop? No! Competition is good. Beamdog should have shipped on time if they didn't want others to make a play for the customer base.

I don't think that post is going to get a ton of people buying their version, if only for the reason that a lot of folks won't want to go through the hassle of downloading mods, installing them, configuring them, blah blah blah. There are many like myself, who could have done that years ago if that's what they wanted to do, but there's so much more in BG:EE beyond what can be accomplished with those tools. The additional content alone, with the capacity to play on other devices is worth $19.99, not to mention this is a supported version from professional developers who have an interest in producing a quality product. There's a price for that too, which I'm more than willing to pay, and I'm betting so are many people.

I don't have a problem with GOG doing this; I just don't think it's going to be a big moneymaker for them. Then again, selling old games for $3 or $4, they're never going to get rich anyway.
  • LemernisLemernis Member, Moderator Posts: 4,318
    edited September 2012
    GoG is just taking advantage of the increased interest in the game with the release of BG:EE. That's okay, it won't make a dent in BG:EE sales. Does anyone believe that fans of the greatest epic fantasy CRPG ever made will do anything but buy the Enhanced Edition (at a very competitive price) versus a dirt cheap version of the original?
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    edited September 2012
    GOG sales are hardly going to interfere with BG:EE project. Whoever pays $4 for the old game will have interest in play the EE version after the release. BG trademark is the replay interest, the spice on this replayability is the additional contents. I even dare to say that DLC idea probally start with companies evaluating BG2 mods, and they thought "hey i can charge for that!", who knows... :)!

Edit: i mean "." and not "?" on my first phrase.
    Post edited by kamuizin on
  • Arabus13Arabus13 Member Posts: 102
    mixnmatch said:

Certain people need to have a teaspoon of concrete and harden the Ef up. Yeh it was dissapointing that EE didn't release, but how many other games are out there to play?
    I'm not sure if some of you know this but BG1 is actually accessible without beamdog. (Though if your content with that, then why are you here?)
    I've got a good idea, how bout everyone who has had a half cocked opinion about not giving us enough notice cancel their pre order, so that the company who actually are going about enhancing BG the right way. The same company which has been one of the only publishers to talk of a 3rd BG end up loosing out, thus limiting chances of a future EE. Really? I don't know about you but 10 weeks is nothing compared to the 14 years some of us have been waiting, for this to be done..
    Can you imagine what the mood at overhaul games must be? Discouraging to say the least. Especially with the negative feed back some of us have chosen to give in this thread. I feel bad for those who work there. No one likes to put hard work into something to see it ripped apart by mis-informed individuals before they've even seen the end results. Imagine how you'd feel working there. Pay'd or not. Even if you were only used in consultation you'd still feel like shit. That something you'd spent so much time on was so easily dismissed.
    So in conclusion. And I mean this all in the nicest possible way. It's best to get over it.

From what I've read, most of the posts were supportive of the decision to delay the game so the developers would have more time to work on the engine. The issue that people have is the timing of the delay and the lack of information surrounding the delay.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Arabus13 said:

The issue that people have is the timing of the delay and the lack of information surrounding the delay.

This.

And I would even go so far as to say, it's more the timing than the lack of information. You don't expect a developer to tell you all the secrets of their process. What's got people in a snit is how close we were to release when the announcement was published. I don't think even the developers would dispute that.
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235
    @Vortican I agree that it won't make a big difference. You know how much I love me some GOG from the DRM thread and I won't be buying this one from them. But if it generates a few more sales for them its worth it. This is a rising tides lift all ships situation as far as I'm concerned. The more interest all of these releases can muster the better the chance of an party based isometric style renaissance!
  • vorticanvortican Member Posts: 206
    @Treyolen, just from the last few months, it seems like we're getting there already, bud. I never thought that a game like Baldur's Gate would ever get the attention it's getting now, nor that something like Project Eternity would be even considered, but because of the outpouring of support for this style of games, I think we have many great things to which we can look forward.
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    well, the dust is settling down it seems.

we got some explanation and i am mostly satisfied with that. i said i will take a break from following the forum and news but it's not working out really, i keep checking it by reflex. i have some time now, i guess i will be less engaged when some RL responsibilities arise :)

by reading this topic i think all that could have been said has been said. the most important thing is a good product in the end and not only for us, users, but also for the company, that depends on it's success. this one decides whether we see the other infinity games we love enhanced, and that is not a small deal considering the loving that classical 2D rpgs are getting lately. the demand exists, it should be satisfied adequately, with a good product.

i don't know why i'm writing this really, i think the recent new announcements and disappointing behaviors of big companies reminded me of value of a smaller team working on a game putting their best into it (at least i believe this is the deal here).
    also, i like this community. undoubtedly, some stuff pisses me off (i'm looking at you, gay romance thread >:I ) but in general people are really NG, for the most part :)

that said, i'm expressing my support and i hope the team has got their enthusiasm and determination back up, the community supports you...
    that and; where are you @TrentOster ? your tweets have been few lately and that makes me a sad panda :/
  • PoePoe Member Posts: 4
    I speak for myself when I say "I hate first person rpg's, one character parties." If Overhaul/Beamdog's dream is to revive 3rd person isometric party based games, well, then I am a happy camper. I hate waiting, not my style, but I will live in the moment and know soon I will be playing something awesome. But....It gets better because, if Trent does pull it off (and i am confident he and others like him will) I will be swamped with kick a$$ games made in the style I love! I am soooo geeked about the revival after having to play so many games that couldn't hold a torch to the BG style. We are living in a remarkable time...let us rejoice. (redoing the old gold box d&d series would be pretty freaking cool too...hint, hint...can you say "Pool of Radiance?")
  • coastie65coastie65 Member Posts: 4
    Looking forward to it whenever it releases. I did manage to get the Baldur's Gate Boxed set with all 4 games sometime back. Having come into this world with NeverWinter Nights and seeing the stuff on The Sword Coast and such, it had my curiousity up as to what I may have missed. The game play is somewhat dated to be sure as are a lot of other things. Also have a LOT more computer than the game calls for. : )
  • coastie65coastie65 Member Posts: 4

Actually, think of all the games that could have benefited from this treatment. At least now we won't be able to complain that they should have spent more time on it :)

I couldn't agree more. : )

• BureszBuresz Member Posts: 2
    "The Partys Reputation Has Decreased 2."

It's probably caused by Melissan. :-)

Despite of the delayed release date I'm sure that we will satisfied with the result.
  • TreyolenTreyolen Member Posts: 235

The Partys Reputation Has Decreased 2.

This may have been posted before in this book of a thread. But I like this quote very much! Concise, comical, ironic, and light hearted.

• ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    Personally : I don't care when the game will be released. Just the fact that I'll be again able to play online with peoples to this fantastic games like when I was 10 just make me happy. Plus I've been waiting for ages in a new baldur's gate. Neverwinter nights doesn't give me the same feeling than this game. I'm just happy to hear that its comming out before X-mas so I can play with my wife and new peoples AGAIN !
  • Kitteh_On_A_CloudKitteh_On_A_Cloud Member Posts: 1,629
    Suggestion to people who are waiting: Dragon Age: Awakening (Origins expansion) is definitely worth a try. Might not be as long as Origins, but the characters encountered thus far are interesting and some of the banters are great.
  • Excalibur_2102Excalibur_2102 Member Posts: 351

Suggestion to people who are waiting: Dragon Age: Awakening (Origins expansion) is definitely worth a try. Might not be as long as Origins, but the characters encountered thus far are interesting and some of the banters are great.

Fallout New Vegas ftw. Ive had the game for a while but only really just played it properly, realising how good it is. One of the best of the modern RPGs IMO (Inc witcher series and DA:O) and its massive. Will deffinately keep occupied till BGEE :).

• WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418
    Another suggestion for time well spent while we wait might be to check out what Obsidian is planning with Project Eternity...
  • Jean_FableJean_Fable Member Posts: 5

What about the new character creator? I could spend a couple days just making new characters.

I couldn't agree more on that.

It shouldn't take that much time to make a demo with character creation only, i think. Release it for pre-purchasers only for example, and then finish the game. Give the players something to do while waiting.

2$ save won't make me pre-purchase BG:EE. But the possibility to spend hours creating my character, writing his background and everything, while listening to the awesome intro song, all of this 2 months before the release ? Yeah i would gladly pay the game full price in advance for that !
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664
    edited September 2012
    @Jean_Fable....if you just want to play with a character generator try this. "google: Baldurs Gate Caracter Generator" :-)
  • Jean_FableJean_Fable Member Posts: 5

@Jean_Fable....if you just want to play with a character generator try this. "google: Baldurs Gate Caracter Generator" :-)

I want to generate my character so i can play with it later.
  • immagikmanimmagikman Member Posts: 664

I want to generate my character so i can play with it later.
    I kinda figured, I was just attempting to be funny :D
This discussion has been closed.