Skip to content

[MOD] -NPC_EE- ... Non-Player Characters Enhanced, for Everyone!

Comments

• SomeSortSomeSort Member Posts: 859

I will fix her proficiencies - should start with club and sling, I'd say - but I haven't touched usability in this mod. Is it possible vanilla C/Ts can only use those weapons? (They are at the intersection of what thieves and clerics are restricted to, after all.)

Me, I always mod usability via other mods, to allow clerics to use bladed weapons. So my C/Ts usually use short swords, daggers, or clubs.

Vanilla Cleric/Thieves have access to all Cleric weapons, but can only backstab with the stuff that is also usable by a thief, (so quarterstaff and club).

Honestly, it's not a dealbreaker to me; I've always wanted to use Alora more, but the fact that she's located so late, the fact that she's such an oversaturated class, and the fact that her HP is sooooooo garbage means I never do in practice.

But moving her to Gullykin (another mod), turning her into a Cleric/Thief, and letting me control her level-ups (and get her some decent HP), suddenly gives her her own niche; she actually makes kind of a ludicrously good tank. Her low strength doesn't matter, because Ankheg Plate. Her lack of weapons doesn't really matter, because who cares about damage output on such an awesome tank.

Also, by far the best weapon in the game for Alora is the Staff Mace, (aside from being backstab-capable and the highest one-hander in the game, it has two damage dice which means double benefit from her luck effect), and she doesn't lose access to that. It'll be late game, but with that and the Gauntlets of Ogre Power, "Alora the Beastmode Tank" is totally a thing that's going to be happening.

Which is kind of the most ringing endorsement of the mod I can give.
    [Deleted User]
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • DarkersunDarkersun Member Posts: 398
    edited May 2017
    Wrong thread sorry.
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Quick question.
    Was planning a playthrough with Neera + Imoen and was looking for a last NPC to join. I really like Jan so I considered him but then realized that would make a 3 mages party and I don't really want to bother myself with all the added micro (especially as I will be playing with SCS). And then I thought *hey, why not use a mod to change this good old gnome to something else?* Like pure Thief or Thief / Cleric, something along those lines, keeping it roleplay in any case.

BUT

I'm reading the readme and that doesn't seem possible... Am I correct? Could that be in the future?
  • MeraMera Member Posts: 133
    Yeah, he's mostly an inventor and a tinkerer, thief would definitely fit.
    He's also a great story teller (even though it's always nonsense and mostly about his family but that's why we love him :D). Maybe a bard would fit too then? (though he would probably need a charisma upgrade)
    Now that I think about it, he doesn't strike me as a very religious person.

His quest is about his former girlfriend and her husband who abuses her. Nothing inappropriate I think.

Not a lore expert though so maybe someone else could give you some input :)
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Bard, as in jack of all trades and peddler of lore (turnip-based gibberish, mostly, with a few pearls of wisdom and a smattering of spellcasting).
  • Contemplative_HamsterContemplative_Hamster Member Posts: 844
    Perhaps even a unique gnome-only demi-bard kit: the Tinkerer ?
    Wise_Grimwald
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Just picked up Safana in my game, and while she is a Fighter/Thief she starts with only two proficiency points instead of the four she should have. And also she has the wrong "choose kit" ability, she has the one for singleclass characters instead of the one for multiclass.
  • BollywoodHeroBollywoodHero Member Posts: 89
    edited June 2017
    I just tried npc_ee on a bg_ee game - it isn't working as I had hoped. I installed it just after meeting Imoen in Candlekeep so I half expected that I wouldn't be able to pick a kit for her when she joined my party (and indeed I wasn't able to). However, when I met Jaheira, she was still a Fighter/Druid, even though I had installed the component to make her a Druid.
    It's BGEE + SOD. Weidu.log indicates that it's installed.
    SoD from GOG. Modmerge is installed. Install Directory is E:\Games\Baldur's Gate - Enhanced Edition. mod install order: item revisions, spell revisions, rogue rebalancing, wizard slayer rebalancing, tweaks, scs, npc_ee. Like a said, NPC_EE was installed after I had already started a new game. Could this be a factor?

For what it's worth, I had successfully verified Minsc was a fighter in an earlier play of SoD using the same version of all mods.
    Wise_Grimwald
    edited June 2017
    I just started a new game and this time a could pick a kit for imoen. :)

I forgot to mention, in my earlier game I had used eekeeper at the start of candlekeep to adjust character stats. Regardless, all seems ok now.
    [Deleted User]Wise_Grimwald
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,848
    Using EE keeper to change stats shouldn't have been an issue.
    What IS an issue is modding during a game. It is most inadvisable.

GoG updates can be a pain.
    Don't have the set-up so that Gog does automatic updates.

I had an automatic message today from Gog complaining that an update couldn't be done.

Good! I only want updates at the end of a game and perhaps not then.
  • RatatoskrRatatoskr Member Posts: 711
    Yeah, turning off automatic updates is a must if you're modding. My game and mod setup only ever changes in-between runs, barring a few purely cosmetic mods that you can stick on top without too many issues.
  • KingTomatoXIIIKingTomatoXIII Member Posts: 2
    I apologise if this a dumb/answered question.

How would one make Coran (or the PC) a Kensai/Thief if the default selection is: 'fighter/thieves: choose a thief kit"?

Secondly I noticed that ranger/clerics select a cleric kit, not a ranger kit.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited June 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Wise_Grimwald
  • KingTomatoXIIIKingTomatoXIII Member Posts: 2
    @subtledoctor
    Mea culpa. I misread the readme. English is not my native language.

I was confused by "So you can turn Coran into a kensai/thief" and "ranger/clerics: choose a ranger kit"

• JamoidJamoid Member Posts: 6
    This is the kind of mod that can make this ancient game feel fresh and exciting again. Thank you so much.
    Wise_Grimwald

As you might surmise from these two examples, in the case of multiclasses, I can only give you kit choices from one of the two classes (as well as actual multiclass kits, which are still kind of rare). It's a limitation of the mod; if what you want to do is within these limitations, then the mod can be more convenient than using EEKeeper. If you want to do something the mod doesn't enable, then EEKeeper can be your backup plan.

I know that currently you can only have one spell which means that you can only kit one of the classes, but I would have thought that it was possible to have two spells, one for each class in the multi-class, though of course you could only use one of them due to the restrictions of the game. You could then have them both deleted after one was used. Am I right? If you took up this idea, you would of course have to have very different icons for the different classes to avoid confusion.

Just an idea. :) EE keeper is of course the fall back solution.
    edited June 2017
    Small question - when using kitted multiclasses is there a way to get the name of the multiclass to update on the character page? Right now if you for example choose fighter/assassin it still displays as fighter/thief.

Of course it's just a display thing, but I'm a stickler for small details.

Edit: Also - you say in the description that it's possible to make Imoen a swashbuckler/mage but actually it's the mage kit that you can choose, not the thief kit. Unless I'm missing something it might be best to update that. Same for the Coran/Montaron examples actually, it's the thief kit you can change, not the fighter kit.
    Post edited by Jamoid on
    I figured it worked that way. It's something I can definitely live with. Thanks again!
    Jamoid said:

Small question - when using kitted multiclasses is there a way to get the name of the multiclass to update on the character page? Right now if you for example choose fighter/assassin it still displays as fighter/thief.

Of course it's just a display thing, but I'm a stickler for small details.

Edit: Also - you say in the description that it's possible to make Imoen a swashbuckler/mage but actually it's the mage kit that you can choose, not the thief kit. Unless I'm missing something it might be best to update that. Same for the Coran/Montaron examples actually, it's the thief kit you can change, not the fighter kit.

If you use EE keeper it will show it correctly I believe. It certainly works for Charname.
    edited June 2017
    I've never been a fan of using EEkeeper unless I feel I really need to. I'll consider it if I have my heart set on something this mod doesn't allow though. I'm just far more comfortable using mods than editors for some reason.

Right now I'm considering a stalker/cleric good playthrough and a Strifeleader of Cyric/thief evil playthrough. Both sound like loads of fun. The hardest part is deciding which kits the various NPCs will get.