Skip to content

Gorion's Ward has Fallen....Who will save the Sword Coast Now?

ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
Gorion's Ward and his Companions have failed. Sarevok has won and has begun his path towards becoming the new Lord of Murder. Only one of the great heros party members have survived, who will they band together to stop his reign of terror?

Rules
1. All of Goron's Wards companions except one are dead. Therefore, only one (party member) NPC may be chosen
2. Still limited to party of six
3. All followers of (Insert party member NPC here) must be non-party member NPC characters that can be encountered in BG1/TOTSC
4. No using Drizzt or Elminster, because that would be cheating.

Good Luck, and may the odds be ever in your favor (Evil Grin)
Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
AedanOrlonKronsteen[Deleted User]Grammarsalad

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    edited July 2017
    @ThacoBell
    Ok but who will be the NPC Leader?
    Also Nuber and Neeber aren't from BG1, so that's not a valid answer :(

I'll make a separate thread for SOD then BG2 then TOB in the future.
    edited July 2017
    @Zilber
    I should clarify that by NPC leader I mean a Party Member NPC. I apologize as I thought that was rather obvious.

Not a bad team though

Edit: I have now fixed the rules to clarify my original meaning.
  • batoorbatoor Member Posts: 676
    edited July 2017
    I suspect Caelars crusade would have taken a drastically different turn.

Hold on though..Did Sarevok succeed in becoming the Grand Duke? Or was Gorions Ward slain in the undercity? If it was in the undercity, then Sarevok already lost imo and would have probably escaped. Whether or not Gorions Ward was killed or not, wouldn't make that much of a difference for the sword coast.
    Post edited by batoor on
    Artona
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited July 2017
    At the point when protagonist and Sarevok have their showdown, Sarevok already has lost, he just does not admit it. His plan to become Duke is spoiled, his war with Amn will not happen. He has lost his support and forces. He may escape the temple in undercity alive but he is now a criminal on the run.
    Flaming fist and shadow thieves hunt him and he is alone. Maybe Irenicus will be merciful and capture him instead of protagonist.

The scenario only works if protagonist is killed together with Gorion already or latest at the return to Candlekeep.
    Even in this scenario it turns out that Sarevok would be the target for Irenicus, having shown the necessary *potential*:
    Grammarsalad
  • ZilberZilber Member Posts: 253
    edited July 2017
    Well, Korax can be roped in to accompany the PC's in the regular game, it would be interesting to really play the guy.

I propose a few alternative teams (with the same idea):
    Team Dwarf:
    Recruitable NPC:
    Arkanis (or Tarnor) (Yeslick if a companion is needed)

Rest:
    Durlag Trollkiller
    Avarice
    Love
    Pride
    Fear

Led by Durlag, of course

Team Underworld

Recruitable NPC:
    Rufie (he does follow you, enough to be considered recruitable?) (Dorn if a companion is needed, Rufie would be added to the rest in that case)

Rest:
    Aec'Letec
    Demon Knight (as first seen)
    Albert (again)
    Doomsayer

Led by Rufie. Woof.

Team aesthetically pleasing
    Meiala (or Viconia if companion needed, though Safana would work better with the voices)

Shoal the Nereid (again)
    Siren queen
    Sil
    Abela or Hamadryad
    Kirinhale

Led by Meiala

Team "going to fail"

Recruitable NPC:
    Melicamp (or Xan if companion needed)

Larry
    Daryl
    Daryl
    Noober

Led by none other than Noober

tbone1Son_of_Imoen
    Oh, two bonus:

Team hard rock:
    Branwen

Tamah
    Vail
    Faizah Tin
    Cailan
    Achen Dell

Team poison
    Eldoth

Marek
    Lothander (simply poison Sarevok and be done with it)
    Greater Wyvern

At the point when protagonist and Sarevok have their showdown, Sarevok already has lost, he just does not admit it. His plan to become Duke is spoiled, his war with Amn will not happen. He has lost his support and forces. He may escape the temple in undercity alive but he is now a criminal on the run.
    Flaming fist and shadow thieves hunt him and he is alone. Maybe Irenicus will be merciful and capture him instead of protagonist.

The scenario only works if protagonist is killed together with Gorion already or latest at the return to Candlekeep.
    Even in this scenario it turns out that Sarevok would be the target for Irenicus, having shown the necessary *potential*:

Given that Sarevok had succeeded in Candlekeep and the whole party was eliminated in the catacombs below Candlekeep, these will save the Sword Coast:
    - Scar (Fighter, leader, assigned by Duke Eltan to investigate the events and having escaped the assault on his own life)
    - Kelddath Ormlyr (Cleric of Lathander, Beregost)
    - Thalantyr (Mage, High Hedge)
    - Alatos "Ravenscar" (Thief, Baldur's Gate, protecting the interests of the Shadow Thieves on the Sword Coast)
    - Winthrop (Druid/Fighter, he is a Harper, Gorion's close friend and companion, the innkeeper job was a disguise to protect Imoen's youth)
    - Bjornin (Paladin, Beregost, recovered from his wounds)
    ZaramMaldovarRaduzielSon_of_ImoenGrammarsalad
    edited July 2017
    @PaulaMigrate
    I believe that my listing a party member NPC as neccessary makes this take place after The Undercity in which Gorion's Ward is killed.

I understand people's arguments that Sarevok has technically already lost, but this is a hypothetical situation.

Please follow the rules and have a party being led by Party Member NPC, and containing 5 non party member NPCs.

So far the closest person to following the rules is Paula, everyone else has slipped up with the exception of Zilber who has NPCs leading some of his teams.

I don't mean to be rude, but I did include rules in my 1st post.
    edited July 2017

- Winthrop (Druid/Fighter, he is a Harper, Gorion's close friend and companion, the innkeeper job was a disguise to protect Imoen's youth)
    I really like this idea @PaulaMigrate

Grammarsalad
    edited July 2017

I really like this idea @PaulaMigrate

I can't take credit for this, I borrowed it from some mod (Sandrah Saga) which has a quest about Imoen and Winthrop's role for her - also some others on the list are inspired from that mod who gives those non-party NPCs some more contents.
    BTW, if mod added NPCs would have been included, there could have been some more candidates as there are a couple of mods which introduce potential candidates to pick up the fight if the protagonist fails. Yes, I'm a mod addict.
    Another consideration is that only 5 joinable NPC's would fall with the protagonist. Among the others there would be some who could take initiative. There are NPCs who follow you for adventures or other reasons but there are also those who especially came to the Sword Coast because of the crisis or the bhaalspwan issue.
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377
    edited July 2017
    Mhm, I'll try too:

I'll use the canon party for the fight,
    After Charname and Dynaheir died, the other three sacrificed themselves to led Imoen flee (Jaheira may have known that she also is a child of Bhaal)

Party Leader/Thief : Imoen
    Fighter: Duke Belt
    Fighter: Laola Axehand (Send by Eltan to fight in his stead)
    Mage: Duchess Liia Jannnath
    Mage/Cleric: Qualye (got conscripted for the defense)
    Thief: Skie Silvershield (forces herself into the group to take revenge)

After that she will go against the Shining Lady (without having time to become a mage) with:
    PL: Imoen
    Paladin: Ajantis
    Archer: Corwyn
    Mage/Cleric: Qualye
    Mage: Neera
    Bard: Voghlin

BG2 would be different, Imoen escapes on her own, does not get captured but is constantly attacked by Irenicus, thus she has to go to spellhold to confront him, party:
    Paladin: Keldorn
    Fighter: Mazzy
    Cleric/Mage: Aerie
    Mage/Thief: Jan Jansen
    Bard: Haer'Dalis

In ToB...
    I like to think that Gorians ward claws his way to life together with Sarevok (with them constantly annoying each other) and Imoen taking both in her party with Mazzy and Keldorn returning home to their families.

She would reject godhood and keep adventuring with her two siblings..

tbone1Grammarsalad
    edited July 2017
    Arcanis said:

Mhm, I'll try too:

I'll use the canon party for the fight,
    After Charname and Dynaheir died, the other three sacrificed themselves to led Imoen flee (Jaheira may have known that she also is a child of Bhaal)

Party Leader/Thief : Imoen
    Fighter: Duke Belt
    Fighter: Laola Axehand (Send by Eltan to fight in his stead)
    Mage: Duchess Liia Jannnath
    Mage/Cleric: Qualye (got conscripted for the defense)
    Thief: Skie Silvershield (forces herself into the group to take revenge)

After that she will go against the Shining Lady (without having time to become a mage) with:
    Paladin: Ajantis
    Archer: Corwyn
    Mage/Cleric: Qualye
    Mage: Neera
    Bard: Voghlin

BG2 would be different, Imoen escapes on her own, does not get captured but is constantly attacked by Irenicus, thus she has to go to spellhold to confront him, party:
    Paladin: Keldorn
    Fighter: Mazzy
    Cleric/Mage: Aerie
    Mage/Thief: Jan Jansen
    Bard: Haer'Dalis

In ToB...
    I like to think that Gorians ward claws his way to life together with Sarevok (with them constantly annoying each other) and Imoen taking both in her party with Mazzy and Keldorn returning home to their families.

She would reject godhood and keep adventuring with her two siblings..

I take it that Imoen has to fight off Irenicus during BG2. But she will not be the spawn to fight the ToB. She has no ambition for this, she will gladly hand over to the real guy -

We have one readymade here:
    Balthazar
    No Sarevok return and no protagonist return. The ones we've known will have no reason to be there when the final chapter starts.
    Balthazar is the game provided alternative to the protagonist, maybe at an early stage he might even have been intended to face the *evil* protagonist?

Who will fight with Balthazar against Melissan/Bhaal? Are they in the game at all?
    ZaramMaldovartbone1Grammarsalad
  • ArcanisArcanis Member Posts: 377

I take it that Imoen has to fight off Irenicus during BG2. But she will not be the spawn to fight the ToB.

Balthazar
    No Sarevok return and no protagonist return. The ones we've known will have no reason to be there when the final chapter starts.

Who will fight with Balthazar against Melissan/Bhaal? Are they in the game at all?

Boooo.. =P

But you have a point. But I'm not sure if Balthazar actually *will* fight Amelyssan. Iirc he planned to kill himself once he was the last Bhaalspawn. Which would mean that Amelyssan will be a god for some time, before Bhaal will burst out of her (similiar to his old pal Bane and Xvim).

Well, that is just my theorie.. But I have to ask you, if Imoen will not be the last, who do you think kills her?

@PaulaMigrate
    Seems a great what-if story. Well done
    Grammarsalad
    Arcanis said:

I take it that Imoen has to fight off Irenicus during BG2. But she will not be the spawn to fight the ToB.

Balthazar

Boooo.. =P

But you have a point. But I'm not sure if Balthazar actually *will* fight Amelyssan. Iirc he planned to kill himself once he was the last Bhaalspawn. Which would mean that Amelyssan will be a god for some time, before Bhaal will burst out of her (similiar to his old pal Bane and Xvim).

Well, that is just my theorie.. But I have to ask you, if Imoen will not be the last, who do you think kills her?

This was always the weak point in Balthazar - he planned his suicide after he defeated Melissan, Means his essence would be added to the Throne of Bhaal but no one left to do the ritual to restore Bhaal, why that? Both he and Imoen can stay alive, they have both already resisted Bhaal's calling. The prophesy of Alaundo has served its (modified) purpose and prevented Bhaal's return.
    ZaramMaldovar
    I have a few story ideas:

Yeslick, being indebted to Gorian's ward, learns of the defeat at the hands of doppelgangers of the protagonist, and braves Durlag's tower to convince Durlag's ghost to aid in bringing their current master down.

Dorn (+ Demon knight, Aec'Letec, Kirinhale) is not a fair loser, instead of ridding the world of the evils listed, he solely visits Durlag's tower for his patron to trick them into aiding him in te revenge over losing his target of manipulation.

Edwin not only helps Albert to find Rufie, together with a few other red wizards (will look up the names at home) he binds Albert and Rufie to this world to destroy the ascending Lord of Murder, Thay does not like that threat.

ZaramMaldovarEmpyrialPapa_LouGrammarsalad
    @Zilber
    These seem extremely cool situations. You get a Cookie (a virtual one of course)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    Boo will save everyone. Solo. Why is this even a question?
    OrlonKronsteenBalrog99Papa_LouGrammarsalad
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    GOOD:

Garrick, followed closely into battle by Larry, Darryl and Darryl.

EVIL:

Tiax, followed by Korax and resurrected (or zombified) versions of Shank and Carbos.
    ZaramMaldovartbone1Grammarsalad
    @OrlonKronsteen
    That's brilliant actually.

And being a follower of Cyric, Tiax has his own vendetta against Sarevok for being a Bhaalspawn.
    OrlonKronsteen
  • OrlonKronsteenOrlonKronsteen Member Posts: 905
    @ZaramMaldovar The intensity of which has been amplified by the sufferance of soggy boots!
    @OrlonKronsteen
    For that masterpiece of mindful alliteration, I think it's fair to add Baeloth to Tiax's party.
    OrlonKronsteen
    edited July 2017
    @UnderstandMouseMagic
    That is the darkest, edgiest what-if version of Baldur's Gate ever. You should make a fanfiction.

You will have to jog my memory as to who Brielbara is. Name sounds familiar, but I can't quite place it.
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @ZaramMaldovar

Brielbara is the woman you meet outside the Splurging Sturgeon who gives you the quest to find the cure for her baby at the Low Lantern. She also happens to be Coran's ex lover and it's his baby.
    @UnderstandMouseMagic
    Oh ok, thanks.
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    This sounds like a job for The Amazing Oopah, the world's finest exploding ogre.
    tbone1ArtonaOrlonKronsteenPapa_Lou