Skip to content

NPC Stats Which Are Wrong In Your Opinion

2»

Comments

• DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    You know, Viconia sure doesn't strike me as wise/smart as her character sheet say she is. She makes bad plans resulting in getting caught, is duped, and never offers much insight or info.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    DreadKhan said:

You know, Viconia sure doesn't strike me as wise/smart as her character sheet say she is. She makes bad plans resulting in getting caught, is duped, and never offers much insight or info.

It's an act to get you to let your guard down. She worships the goddess of deception, after all.
    DreadKhanArtona
    ThacoBell said:

DreadKhan said:

It's an act to get you to let your guard down. She worships the goddess of deception, after all.
    Could be actually, and its 100% possible the story about the farming family is BS to manipulate you. She's never struck me as very lovable really.
    ThacoBellO_Bruce
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    DreadKhan said:

Maybe that could have something to do with surface customs being so foreign and bizarre to her.
    tbone1 said:

DreadKhan said:

Maybe that could have something to do with surface customs being so foreign and bizarre to her.
    I dunno, according to her story, she was too trusting of humans, not Drow behaviour at all!
  • IWDIWD Member Posts: 24
    It's all about the definition of stats.

Strength might be one of the easiest in that case. It is more or less just about physical power. Can somebody be strong although he cares about books most of the time? Sure, why not. Maybe he visits bars in his spare time and has a brawl on a regular basis. Or he is just a guy with a massive body like an orc or something.

Constitution on the other hand is much more complex than you might think at first sight. It has a mental component. You can't just resist things physically but you can also do so mentally. A moderate stat value could mean you're either mentally hard and physically weak or vice versa. Or maybe you're just the average guy. "What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger" is not just lyrics of a famous song.

Or what about charisma? Does it really mean, peopla "like" you? What about someone, that people fear? He or she could be crazy maybe, but what about being charismatic? Not possible? I doubt it. Charismatic people are leader types of some kind. They can be manipulative or just convincing.

This doesn't mean all stats are just fine in Baldur's Gate, but it might be hard to compare charactres just with numbers. One 9 can be different than another 9 if it comes to personality or thing having gone through. The relative difference is more important I guess with 10-11 being the average ( [18+3] / 2 = 10,5).
  • MirandelMirandel Member Posts: 526

Looking at this long list leads to the question which of the vanilla NPCs have adequate stats? Or levels.
    While mod added NPCs try hard to be balanced and represent the story and personality of a creature, those of the vanilla ones just seem pretty random.
    Working around all that is part of the game by now. Try to change it and wait for the shitstorm.

I could be very wrong and the writers may have never even considered stats when creating the characters. In some instances when you RP you kind of have to ignore the strange stats.

The ones that really stand out is
    Alora charisma,
    Kivan charisma
    Xan charisma
    Viconia strength/con
    Anomen/Keldorn dexterity (that really makes no sense as dexterity is linked to AC and they are first and foremost fighters handling weapons and stuff)
    Haer Dalis con 9 (he's planewalker, surely that would suggest having a robust constitution?)
    Edwin dex
    Shar teel con

and the others I have mentioned. So I was interested in what other players tended to ignore stat wise when it comes to rp. Of course you can use items when playing, but in your imagination, do you imagine Vic as weak and fragile? Aerie yes, Viconia?
    When I first played the games (long long time ago, shortly after they were originally released), I just took them as granted or even intended. You had to find the right items or invest your money to buy them in order to get a party together and well equipped for the challenges. I had the feeling that finding the right mix of equipment and NPC was part of the game. Today, I simply think I interpreted too much, they just made the NPCs from a chr file for which they threw dice and then changed it to a cre.

Your list is fine.
    Add Dynaheir Dex and Con too high, Cha too low.
    And I think you were right back then. And you are right now as well :) Meaning, stats had nothing to do with the characters, they were pretty random or arranged in a way, that would force you to really work for the perfect party - though items accumulation and changing group composition. Pure mechanical reasons.

Well, this is how I look at this still, to fight the urge change everything manually.
    DreadKhan
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    DrakeICN said:

ThacoBell said:

@UnderstandMouseMagic "Sarevok int 17.
    We see no sign of it at all, overall his plan and the way he carries it out is dumb, really dumb."

You mean BESIDES his flawless manipulation of the Chill, Black Talon, Zhentarim, the Iron Throne, the Dukes of Baldur's Gate, and whoever is in charge of Amn? Not to mention he did all this and managed to keep such a shining reputation that he was voted in as a Duke?

Not to forgot ehhrrm... "framing" you for the murder of his foster father?
    Not to mention picking that great pseudonym 'Koveras'. Only pure genius could account for that!
    UnderstandMouseMagictbone1
  • AnduinAnduin Member Posts: 5,745

Minsc's Intelligence and Wisdom are far too high.

Minsc indeed has low intelligence and wisdom... The stats you are seeing are in fact Boo's, considering Minsc can do nothing without first conferring with his hamster.

I admit I do the same before any major purchase with my goldfish...
    DreadKhantbone1
  • ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    Dorn:
    Int 10? Wis 15? No. They should be switched.
    Jaheria:
    Wis 14. I feel like it should be just a bit higher. 16 would be good.
    Viconia:
    Con 8? She survived the Underdark I feel like a 10 is the least they should giver her.
    Anomen:
    Str 18/52. As helpful as this has been in the playthroughs I did with him in my party, I feel like this has always been a bit much. 17 would suffice
    Keldorn:
    Dex 9? It should be at least 10
    Yoshimo:
    Char 14? He convinces CHARNAME that he is on his side and leads him all the way to Spellhold. Plus he has comedic dialogue and proves himself to be very likable. 15 or 16 would be good.
    DreadKhanGrumUnderstandMouseMagic
  • InKalInKal Member Posts: 196
    there is no difference between CON 7 and CON 14 (at least after lvl 9 and/or 10).
    there is also no difference between CON 16 and CON 18 and higher for all non-fighter classes.

which means imo that CON 9 for Aerie is not that bad but CON 9 for Shar-Teel is a "back to the kitchen, woman!" thing.

Minsc is basicaly telepathically controlled by his pocket mini giant space hamster Boo and he don't need any fecking INT or WIS or CHAR for siheeet, Boo covers all that and more... the bigger they are the harder I hit! Ideal Minsc stats imo

STR 18/00
    DEX 18 (always better than 17, but there is no difference between 7 and 14 !! LOL)
    CON 18
    INT 3 (no food for thought for you, evil!!!)
    WIS 3
    CHAR 3

NPCs stats are "wrong" only when really annoying like Shar-Teel, btw. there is a proof IRL that very phisically strong people can have pretty low endurance actually and vice versa - check marathon runners for example. BG is no irl lol but I think Shar-Teel can be the case here and that is why she is so angry, she can swing that TH sword but not for too long. ;pp

Korgan is just right.
    Keldorn being that clumsy makes sense imo.
    Ano can't even be a "legal" cleric with his "wisdom".
    Jaheira is a special case actually - according to her stats she is not very bright but also not that wise either. No suprise why she needs poor Khalid and for what. ;PPP
    Valygar. Who cares?
    Mazzy. Who?
    Xan. Has stoneskin and PFMW. He is OK imo.
    Edwin. See above. Needs that 16 con for Viccy.
    Viconia. Rise CON to 15 or 16 and she is ready to go.

all the rest is pretty much more or less all right stat wise
  • ArtonaArtona Member Posts: 1,077
    Shar-Teel low Con makes me think of those boxers, who can punch like hell, but are basically dying after third round and/or has shaky chin, like, let's say, Amir Khan (terrible chin).
    So she is legit for me. :)
    ArctodusThacoBell