Skip to content

Multiplayer game with password and only one player?

What can be reason to create multiplayer game (online, not local) with password and only with one player?
IMO it's really dumb cause:
1. You have single game and (not without reason called) MULTI-player game,
2. Lags + possibility to have disconnected game,
3. Just go on local game called SINGLE-game.
4. I've seen many one player multiplayer games yesterday at evening. If you guys stop host such a games then it will be easier to set 6 player in game - think of it.

Comments

• Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    In my minor experience with multiplayer games, most people find a group before playing, and set up a game with a password so that only their friends can join in, as they likely planned out beforehand.

So it's likely that what you're seeing are either people just starting up their games and waiting on their friends, people experiencing issues and trying to set up a proper game, or the tail-end of a session that everyone has already left, except for the host.

A vast majority of people who do play multiplayer, often don't want to have random people popping in and out of their sessions. A password is a good way to avoid that from happening. If you just pop into a game with no prior planning, you're bound to have a bad time, due to the amount of tactics required to actually move forward in the story/game.

Personally, I really don't like multiplayer in Baldur's Gate, because everyone has a different way of playing the game (and everyone thinks their way is the only way ;) ) and it can often clash with your own play style. If you want to play multiplayer, though, there's a sub-forum dedicated to that here on the forums where you can find other people looking for groups to play with. It's not the most active board, but there are always people in and out of there, so it's worth a shot!
    JuliusBorisov
  • ChaosRiderChaosRider Member Posts: 26
    "In my minor experience with multiplayer games, most people find a group before playing, and set up a game with a password so that only their friends can join in, as they likely planned out beforehand.

So it's likely that what you're seeing are either people just starting up their games and waiting on their friends, people experiencing issues and trying to set up a proper game, or the tail-end of a session that everyone has already left, except for the host.

A vast majority of people who do play multiplayer, often don't want to have random people popping in and out of their sessions. A password is a good way to avoid that from happening. If you just pop into a game with no prior planning, you're bound to have a bad time, due to the amount of tactics required to actually move forward in the story/game." - totally out off topic. Don't speak about games where you have more than one player.

If you want single game then play local... hosting one player game with password is senseless. 6 single games where it could be one game with 6 players in. Omg, one player have no more time to play, so 5 other should end it? Nope, they keep going. Och no they get new member who have only 1 lvl char (other players have 6, 7 or higher), he can use cheats to increase char lvl/experience on local, export char once again and join to them.
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    Not at all off topic. You questioned the state of the multiplayer games, I gave you an answer.

The games in your screenshot are likely people waiting on friends to join, after either setting something up with a predetermined group a few minutes prior, or they have an arranged time during the week where they all play together. The multiplayer in this game isn't the most stable thing in the world, either, so it's possible that some of these people are trying to work out some troubleshooting errors.

If you're looking for a game where you can pop in and out of games with no consequences, Baldur's Gate probably isn't what you're looking for. Joining/leaving games with no communication can really mess up the balance of the player's game.

This isn't Overwatch, or Call of Duty. People tend to treat the multiplayer in this game as something akin to tabletop RPGs. A group of six friends getting together to play through a campaign.
    mf2112JuliusBorisov
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    I used to play multiplayer by myself a lot because it used to be the only way to create multiple party members in Baldur's Gate.
    tbone1DreadKhan
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

I used to play multiplayer by myself a lot because it used to be the only way to create multiple party members in Baldur's Gate.

This. Almost all my multiplayer games are me creating my own party; this was especially true before EE if I wanted an evil thief as an NPC.

• ChaosRiderChaosRider Member Posts: 26
    When you go single game, during creating your char there is a button "Accept" and also "Create Party".
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075

When you go single game, during creating your char there is a button "Accept" and also "Create Party".

I know, but the single-player Create Party option didn't always exist. It used to be that the only way to create an entire party was to play multiplayer.
  • ZagaciousZagacious Member Posts: 63
    I always host with no password, but the rare times I put a password because some guy wants to start the game with a level 6+ character with end game items. It's extremely annoying. It's one thing to start with high stats or high thief skills or something, but these people are starting with level 10 chars in BG EE.. I don't get the point.
    JuliusBorisov
  • PetitPainPetitPain Member Posts: 2
    edited October 2017

What can be reason to create multiplayer game (online, not local) with password and only with one player?
    IMO it's really dumb cause:

Calling people dumb right out of the gate as you ask a question is dumb...

Just a few of the reasons someone would play multiplayer ALONE!

1. Inventory behavior!

Single player:
    If you go into your inventory, it unpause the game.

Why is that bad ?
    I dont like to be cut off from my inventory cleaning because a npc decide he want to talk to me!
    Sometime* I mess around a lot and often! Its annoying to have characters become tired over a few backpack issues.
    *(more like ALWAYS)
    Its also bothering me when I get attacked because someone decided to walk into vision and lets say, randomly cast a fireball on my party because I move potions around or simply test combo of items to see how it would affect my party.

Multiplayer:
    If you go into inventory, the paused or unpaused state REMAIN!

Why is it good ?
    Because it prevent all the bad stuff from single player and give me the freedom to DECIDE if I want it paused or not.

2. Map behavior

Single player:
    Paused while on map

Why is it bad ?
    I like being able to walk my way toward an objective while I look for something else or simply want to place my map notes.
    (This become VERY relevant in places like Baldur's Gate! You keep switching back and forth to go here and there while adding some notes on things you dont want to forget to do)

Multiplayer:
    If you go on map, the paused or unpaused state REMAIN!

Why is it good ?
    Because it prevent all the bad stuff from single player and give me the freedom to DECIDE if I want it paused or not.

3. Friend wanna game with you a little

Single player:
    Close the game, go play something else or save and move the file to multiplayer.

Multiplayer:
    You are already set! He can have a little of his BG drug as a sidekick! (Believe it or not! Once a while, its actually fun to see how others decide to play the story and what items they want to acquire quickly.)

4. Impossible NPC party

Single player:
    Some party require high charisma or they kill each other and even with high charisma...

Multiplayer:
    a) Do the npc quest (Ex.: Edwin), export him after, save the game, exit.
    b) load the game, delete Edwin, import saved Edwin
    c) He will never leave because you have a very good party
    (Same apply to paladin leaving for stupid reasons)

This is particularly effective when a party member does actions under confusion that lower reputation and make everyone leave...(like a paladin leaving cause Edwin killed 3 npc with a fireball while charmed)
    I prefer to pay the priest instead of reloading.

As for the "Lags + possibility to have disconnected game"
    When you host a game in BG, you are the SERVER! You cannot lag or DC.
    There is only data exchange if there is ANOTHER player.

My questions become:

1. Why would I play Single player knowing all the limitations it bring me ?
    2. Will you call yourself dumb from now on ?
    Post edited by PetitPain on
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    @PetitPain and @ChaosRider Don't go personal in your comments, be respectful to other users. Read the Site Rules.
  • PetitPainPetitPain Member Posts: 2

@PetitPain and @ChaosRider Don't go personal in your comments, be respectful to other users. Read the Site Rules.

From the comment at start of my post I felt it was clear that I mentioned it didnt have place in a post or a question.

It was not my intention for it to be felt in any other way.

The end of my post was more of a way to make him think about how he posted about it.

If he tell himself : "No, Im not dumb! I simply did not have the information!".
    I totally agree and he hopefully realize that it is better to ask then judge!

Either way, I hope it will help him understand why some use multiplayer "solo". :)

@ChaosRider Hope you see as I meant it! ;)