Skip to content

"Maybe this time" [NO-RELOAD THREAD]: "The Tale of TEN THOUSAND Trials"

Comments

• AerakarAerakar Member Posts: 1,011
    I seem to recall thief detect illusions ability seeing through invisibility potions, but not fully sure. I will try to check it out in a current run. I am not sure about the Sandthief ring as I rarely use it.
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,837
    @Gate70 When I click on show, nothing gets shown. :(
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305

Just to note they work for me.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Alesia_BH said:

Pop!

Ah - everyone loves a jack-in-the-box :).
  • Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,169
    edited August 2017

What especially bothers me is that I'm not sure how I would have won this fight, with this party or any party, without the mod items I had in the Undergate run.

Considering my 277 HP, -13 AC, poison-immune, 40% damage resistance tank died in two rounds, I do not believe there is any way to stay alive in this encounter without either being in jelly form (for immunity to piercing damage) or having mage-style defenses. But they can get past PFMW. They can dispel Stoneskin. And if you used a Spell Trigger or Chain Contingency to cast both PFMW and Stoneskin and SI: Abjuration, they also have at least two mages who use magic attacks to remove spell protections.

And if you have a Barbarian or Dwarven Defender or Fighter/Druid with 80-90% damage resistance? That's not enough; they'll just kill you with Harm instead.

Non-mages will simply die; the enemy's APR, THAC0, and backstab damage will be fatal to anyone who can't attain at least 90% immunity to piercing damage. But mages lose all of their buffs due to a script, and the enemy has the resources to break down anything short of a Chain Contingency+Spell Trigger setup followed by an aura-ignoring SI spell. You can try jelly form to block the piercing damage and Harm, but the enemy has slashing and crushing weapons, too.

Has anyone else in this thread beaten the Chosen of Cyric encounter in Chapter 6? Is there any way for a character to survive the first few rounds without being an epic-level mage?

I have defeated it, though I think it took 2 or 3 tries in a limited reload (lose an npc per death style). I remember the mislead clones running off behind traps being severely annoying as I never use that sort of cheese myself. I also remember using the Slayer to kill their leader and potions of fire breath/ explosions to deal with the Sorceress immediately- I wasn't interested in customised chain contingencies as they assume too much foreknowledge. Strong summons like Shambling Mounds were also quite useful. Possibly my mod load-out- Spell Revisions etc. - may have made it easier of course.
    Wise_GrimwaldCrevsDaak
  • ussnorwayussnorway Member Posts: 341

Are you using your phone l tablet wise? The code beamdog uses for this forum displays spoilers as tabs... You have to click right on the word show
  • ErinneErinne Member Posts: 151
    The mines went without much trouble, aside from Xzar dying during the Mulahey fight due to a confused Kagain whacking on him. Also met and murdered a mopey mage, only to find to my great disappointment that his Moonblade cannot be sold. Though I suppose the "not usable by anyone else" thing would decrease market value...

Killed Nimbul and used the Find Familiar scroll to gain a much needed HP increase for Larissa - I'd had a few too many close calls already. Then it was time to go after the bandits. I killed one of the bandit groups (the one whose leader drops a +1 warhammer), and offered to join the other.

I wasn't certain if I could take on the group inside Tazok's tent, so I temporarily recruited Tiax and had him loot the tent while under Sanctuary. Did I say temporarily? I meant permanently. Sorry Vicky, but none can compete with the great Tiax.

Unfortunately, dumping Vicky bumped my rep up to 10 and I forgot to do something to lower it before I rested, so I got the shitty special ability. D'oh!

Anyway, it was time to head for Cloakwood, where I took great pleasure murdering every single druid I came across. Everything went smoothly until we ran into Drasus's group outside the mines. They made their saves against everything we threw at them, while we got feared, confused, and picked apart. Only Larissa and Dorn survived.

Not all was lost though, since thanks to Dorn's massive carrying capacity, we didn't have to leave anything valuable behind this time. I don't think I would've had the will to carry on after losing all the gear again.

Round 2 went much better, since this time none of them made their saves against silence or horror. Everything would have been perfect except for the fact that Drasus ran off into the woods at sanic speed while feared and it took ages to hunt him down. Time for the mines next...
    ArctodusMantis37JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited August 2017
    Grond0 said:

Just to note they work for me.
    They work for me now. :)
    ussnorway said:

Are you using your phone l tablet wise? The code beamdog uses for this forum displays spoilers as tabs... You have to click right on the word show
    I was using my desktop. When I posted about it, I couldn't see them, but now I can. :)
    Grond0
    edited August 2017
    @Grond0 It looks to me that Shagrat is evil rather than neutral, but he looks to be an interesting character.
    I usually spend all but one gold piece and then pay the fine. That way, I don't have to resort to violence.
    JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
    edited August 2017
    Grond0 said:

Nah - the way I see it good characters kill evil ones and evil ones kill good ones - but neutral ones kill them all :p.

:D:D
    lroumen said:

It would be weird if shagrat had killed the rats. I think he would love them instead :wink:.

:D:D Or if not love, at least lust after them. :D
    Grond0JuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    edited August 2017
    Go with LE monk 1/mask X. The cleric of mask gives mirror image as well along with all useful high level domain spells (save aegis). Add some other class for miscellaneous bonuses if you want.
    I can only imagine dispel magic to matter then, but you can plan around that I think.

High wisdom, dexterity, medium intelligence for feats and splash-balance the rest.

Don't worry about XP penalties when soloing.
    Grond0Wise_GrimwaldJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I guess my experience is outside tactics4iwd2. In vanilla I do not recall much dispel usage, but if in the mod it is every fight then yes... sounds troublesome. I would not like that in a mod.

For mirror image. Would it make a difference to take a few sorceress levels? I guess you do not get enough good mirror image castings from it. Deep gnome cleric of mask has 2 casts, very low ac... I am sure the ac can be capitalised more in some way to counter the enemy thac0. What about summons usage, what does the cleric bring to the table to help alleviate the pressure? I am rusty in the Iwd spell selection these days.

For XP, I remember that differently. I ran a 2 person party once and they hopelessly overleveled very fast. It was quite a cakewalk through dragons eye, though I never finished that game fully due to irl issues.
    semiticgoddessJuliusBorisovCrevsDaak