Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

Data's Byte 010101: Reckoning of the Modrons
    Batrachi's Gift: Vortex of Ssendam

Because Good vs. Evil is hopelessly overused. And both Law or Chaos themed D&D games are close to nonexistent.
    It would awesome, though Michael Moorcock and Warhammer fans might get pissed at the game for ''ripping off'' the Law vs Chaos scenario.
  • CvijetaCvijeta Member Posts: 417
    Oh, I hope it's new 5ed game.
  • DreadKhanDreadKhan Member Posts: 3,857
    Many real world religions were Law vs Chaos, and I think the Mesopotamians are about the oldest recorded Law vs Chaos.

It sure as **** wasn't invented by Warhammer!
    DreadKhan said:

Many real world religions were Law vs Chaos, and I think the Mesopotamians are about the oldest recorded Law vs Chaos.

I was referring to Law vs Chaos in fantasy stories, which was First used by Moorcock.
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited August 2017

DreadKhan said:

I was referring to Law vs Chaos in fantasy stories, which was First used by Moorcock.
    The first version of Dungeons & Dragons, now known as Basic, used Lawful vs Chaotic. That was 1976 or 1977, IIRC. So I'd say let them try to prove it in court

• FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    tbone1 said:

DreadKhan said:

The first version of Dungeons & Dragons, now known as Basic, used Lawful vs Chaotic. That was 1976 or 1977, IIRC. So I'd say let them try to prove it in court

If I remember correctly, the first Elric novel was published in 1960.

So yeah, you where saying?
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I thought we were just talking Warhammer.
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17
    I love Forgotten Realms and i really don't care if we continue in Sword Coast or not but if we can choose i will love some Kara-tur

Now outside of Toril, i will love some Dragonlance or Darksun

DreadKhan said:

Most people consider the myths of ancient people to be very much fantasy, both that they were tales told for entertainment and education. Its not strictly clear how seriously adults took those myths, and they obviously were set in a world very different than the listener's own.
    Fardragon said:

tbone1 said:

DreadKhan said:

If I remember correctly, the first Elric novel was published in 1960.

So yeah, you where saying?
    1965 to bè exact.

elmurdoc said:

I love Forgotten Realms and i really don't care if we continue in Sword Coast or not but if we can choose i will love some Kara-tur

Now outside of Toril, i will love some Dragonlance or Darksun

I would love a game set in Ravenloft.
    I'd get a kick out of a good Ravenloft game, something Planescape-y preferably. Lots of different areas you could visit too, with different enemies, meaning it'd be somewhat doable to scale, though not to really high level.

Evil ending you get a demesne, good you probably die, neutral you get booted out of Ravenloft. ;)
    edited August 2017
    Okay, here is my list of preferred settings, with some reasons:

1. Dark Sun. Really interesting variant race options, and official 5e psionics possibly in the pipeline.
    2. Spelljammer. If we can't have a BG style space opera game, the next best thing.
    3. FR: Chult. Because dinosaurs. Also lizardfolk playable race.
    4. FR: The Moonshaes. Lay on the Celtic mythology thickly.
    5. FR: Cormyr. Because that is where my PnP game is set.
    6. Ravenloft. I'm a bit tired of vampires and zombies, but otherwise the setting is cool.
    7. Planescape. A setting that includes the entire multiverse could be a bit unfocused.
    8. FR: Icewind Dale. I wouldn't object to a new IWD game, but would prefer something new.
    9. FR: Waterdeep. Hasn't really been done before, but is a bit generic.
    10. FR: Sword Coast. Been there, done that, bought the tee-shirt.
    11. Eberron. Just because I never got into that setting.
    12. Dragonlance. I found it twee - is it just me?
    Fardragon said:

1. Dark Sun. Really interesting variant race options, and official 5e psionics possibly in the pipeline.
    2. Spelljammer. If we can't have a BG style space opera game, the next best thing.
    6. Ravenloft. I'm a bit tired of vampires and zombies, but otherwise the setting is cool.
    7. Planescape. A setting that includes the entire multiverse could be a bit unfocused.
    8. FR: Icewind Dale. I wouldn't object to a new IWD game, but would prefer something new.

Quite a few people like Dragonlance, myself included.
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    I suffer from a kind of Stockholm Syndrom when comes to Ravenloft. Over a decade playing in this scenario, suffering in any ways you can imagine, and I still don't get enough of it. This large experience even inspired me to do a whole kitpack devoted to destroying undead.

I would love to see a Ravenloft-based-IE-game or even a 3D one.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I wonder what people would think of the side effects of doing evil in Ravenloft in a computer game...
  • RaduzielRaduziel Member Posts: 4,714
    edited August 2017
    mlnevese said:

I wonder what people would think of the side effects of doing evil in Ravenloft in a computer game...

Rate it as 18+ and do all the Power Checks you want :D

In a IE game this won't be necessary, as nothing too graphical would happen.

The problem is that Ravenloft is a mature scenario with mature content like murder, suicide, rape, torture, etc. Much like World of Darkness.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    So does Eberron. ;)

Fardragon said:

Wait, wait, wait!... Chult has dinosaurs? :o

OK, that's what we need next! :) Look no further! ^___^
    D&D needs more dinosaurs and Lovecraft like Pathfinder.
    Raduziel said:

mlnevese said:

The problem is that Ravenloft is a mature scenario with mature content like murder, suicide, rape, torture, etc. Much like World of Darkness.
    Ravenloft is a gothic setting, so those things are alluded to or implied, not shown.

It shouldn't be a problem for ratings.
    Fardragon said:

Raduziel said:

mlnevese said:

Ravenloft is a gothic setting, so those things are alluded to or implied, not shown.

It shouldn't be a problem for ratings.
    I agree +90% with you, no need to be graphic, but it would end up darker than BG.

The Ravenloft books aren't saddled with warnings, bought most while in my late teens.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    edited August 2017
    Eh a Ravenloft game in CRPG format wouldn't work, you'd never get the right mood. A Ravenloft game should be a platformer with an undead hunter protagonist equipped with a whip, played to the tune of a catchy, adrenaline pumping soundtrack.
    DrakeICN said:

Eh a Ravenloft game in CRPG format wouldn't work, you'd never get the right mood. A Ravenloft game should be a platformer with an undead hunter protagonist equipped with a whip, played to the tune of a catchy, adrenaline pumping soundtrack.

Nah, that sounds like an Anime. ;)
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    DrakeICN said:

Sounds strangely familiar... almost a deja vu...
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    DreadKhan said:

DrakeICN said:

Nah, that sounds like an Anime. ;)
    Or maybe... ;)

A certain, unnamed video game. Weird, right?