Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    RVNS said:

I would like to say that the last several postings here by many people respectively no longer covers the original context of the original post and the debate at hand should possibly find its way to another thread. Mayhaps a debate thread or a comparison between different game editions thread would be more suitable.

Indeed, everyone!

Let's stay on topic - and discuss other subjects in other threads.

As for the topic itself, .... [reducted] ... PD ... [reducted] ... TW ...
    Sjerrie
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    Chnapy said:

As for the fabled next beamdog project, is there a recap anywhere of the various news that have come up over the last year? I stopped following the forums for about a year and it seems the first post never got updated here (and also i'm too lazy and employed to read these 50 pages =D)

Practically nothing is known, other than that it would probably be 5th ed D&D with David Gaider as Creative Director in charge.
    semiticgoddess
  • RVNSRVNS Member Posts: 285

RVNS said:

I would like to say that the last several postings here by many people respectively no longer covers the original context of the original post and the debate at hand should possibly find its way to another thread. Mayhaps a debate thread or a comparison between different game editions thread would be more suitable.

Indeed, everyone!

Let's stay on topic - and discuss other subjects in other threads.

As for the topic itself, .... [reducted] ... PD ... [reducted] ... TW ...
    Please stay on topic and move the debate to another thread or pm. A moderator has already addressed this.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    Is it possible for a mod to split this thread from the discussion on P&P versions and Beamdog's next project?
    RVNS
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    The Number of Off-Topic comments is too damn high!
    AedanShikaodeltago
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    edited August 2017
    By the demand of 3 different forum users, I have split 60 comments into this thread: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66010/all-things-d-d-favourite-setting-in-d-d-best-d-d-edition-and-more

All the participants, please, continue your interesting and insightful discussion in that thread.
    deltago
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Great, now there's nothing to talk about anymore in this thread. :p
    edited August 2017
    There's actually at least one real lead in this thread.
    lolien
    Infinite monkey theorem at work. Of course there will be leads no matter what. We might even reproduce the whole story skript of Beamdog's next title before it's even out, given enough freetime.

Still nothing in particular to talk about though. :p
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    @JuliusBorisov
    Can you please feed us with something? We are straving here :#
    A nonsense tweet from @PhillipDaigle, perhaps?
  • AedanAedan Member, Translator (NDA) Posts: 8,550
    edited September 2017
    deltago said:

as TWilight (videogame of the book confirmed!

See, @wubble? I knew this day would have come.
    Post edited by Aedan on
    deltago
    edited September 2017
    We also can't rule out this as a possible hint, unless we know for certain it had to do with PST:EE.
    deltago said:

So how about we get back on topic.

Something has been bugging me for a long time:

This post from @Doubledimas was made prior to Planescape: Torment EE was announced and released and everyone figured it was just a hint that PST:EE was the next game being released due to the Bloodwar books having Planescape in front of them.

HOWEVER

If they didn't add any new writing to PST, why did they have a question? Was it a Red Herring thrown out by Daigle to allow us to connect the dots, if so, why mention Gaider?

Mike Mearls is the co-creator of 5e D&D and wrote the 4th edition Players Handbook and Monster Manual (we won't hold his 4th edition work against him) as well. It is alleged (just quickly reading online) that during the 4th edition of D&D the Blood War fell into an Cold War atmosphere (but only for The Forgotten Realms), but the state of the war is a mystery in 5e.

Could this tweet give a hint that part of the new game takes place in the lower planes among the Devils and Demons? Could the actual war be the main story line?

From the wiki (and in turn from Manual of the Planes)

Despite millennia after millennia of constant strife, no side has yet been able to gain a definitive, permanent advantage over the other. Despite their vast differences, the tanar'ri and the baatezu are surprisingly balanced combatants on the fields of the Blood War. The chaotic denizens of the Abyss, while far more numerous than the devils, are, true to their alignment, constantly warring amongst themselves. They can contest the might of the Nine Hells only through sheer individual power, and their seemingly limitless, if unorganized and uncoordinated supply of warriors. The baatezu, on the other hand, deploy smaller numbers onto the field, but their warriors are regimented, well-trained and well-disciplined, all the while making incredible use of their generals' ruthless strategies. This violent balance could keep the Blood War fueled for an indefinite period of time.

One thing, however, is certain: were one side able to eliminate all opposition, and thus gain control over the entirety of the Lower Planes, the multiverse as a whole would be in great danger. With no enemies left in the Lower Planes, the fiendish rulers could then turn their attentions towards other worlds and planes, and it is likely that no force could hope to stop them. Even the celestial beings of the Upper Planes, formidable as they are, could face destruction at the hands of the tanar'ri or the baatezu, weighed down as their alignments demand by the needs of good and justice—the fiends, having no such compunctions or scruples, could easily use the celestials' morality against them. In the past, agents of the heavenly races have even planted powerful weapons or artifacts among the ranks of the demons or the devils. This appears to be a reliable indicator that even the beings of the Upper Planes do not want the war to end.
    There is a prophecy that says that the Blood War will end when the Crawling City, a city on the plane of Gehenna that is home to millions of Yugoloths, directly enters the Blood War.

Aftermath
    4th Edition's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide states that Asmodeus killed the power Azuth and consumed his divine essence. He then proceeded to use this power to push the Abyss to the bottom of the Elemental Chaos, thus ending the Blood War with the victory of the Devils (Law). Some question this, though, saying that Asmodeus didn't win the war, but rather ran from it, since the Demons weren't destroyed or enslaved, just "pushed out of the way". Regardless, this explanation only applies to the Forgotten Realms setting; the default 4th edition books are vague as to the Blood War's status, and as a Forgotten Realms deity, Azuth was not present in these.

deltago
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited September 2017
    Aftermath
    4th Edition's Forgotten Realms Campaign Guide states that Asmodeus killed the power Azuth and consumed his divine essence. He then proceeded to use this power to push the Abyss to the bottom of the Elemental Chaos, thus ending the Blood War with the victory of the Devils (Law). Some question this, though, saying that Asmodeus didn't win the war, but rather ran from it, since the Demons weren't destroyed or enslaved, just "pushed out of the way". Regardless, this explanation only applies to the Forgotten Realms setting; the default 4th edition books are vague as to the Blood War's status, and as a Forgotten Realms deity, Azuth was not present in these.

I always hated this crap, and that's why I actually hope that the new Beamdog game is actually not D&D-based. There's so much inconsistencies between editions of D&D. We have a lot of other settings in D&D, all of which reside in the "greater Multiverse". So, how does this affect those other settings? Does it at all? It has to, but... why would people on Oerth (Greyhawk) care that Asmodeus is a god on Toril (Forgotten Realms)? They wouldn't. Or did Asmodeus gain enough power that he'd be recognized as a god in EVERY SETTING? This isn't explained at all...
    Also, why the crap would the Blood War end just because the Abyss was "moved"? Demons can't open portals to the Nine Hells or other Planes to fight Devils anymore? Or... how did this actually end anything? Furthermore, the Demons specifically oppose all the gods (that's a major thing in D&D, elemental chaos vs. the order of the gods), so why would Asmodeus becoming a god cause the demons to stop fighting?!

I would enjoy a unique setting a lot more than a setting with inconsistent (and, frankly, often nonsensical) lore.
  • deltagodeltago Member Posts: 7,811
    @Doubledimas I mentioned it briefly in the minotaur section. Figuring it was mostly speculation that tied in with the pictures, and was posted recently, I left it out.

Video games are not canon, so as long as they explain the history in the game of what transpired previously i don't care what any other literature says.

Aftermath

I always hated this crap, and that's why I actually hope that the new Beamdog game is actually not D&D-based. There's so much inconsistencies between editions of D&D. We have a lot of other settings in D&D, all of which reside in the "greater Multiverse". So, how does this affect those other settings? Does it at all? It has to, but... why would people on Oerth (Greyhawk) care that Asmodeus is a god on Toril (Forgotten Realms)? They wouldn't. Or did Asmodeus gain enough power that he'd be recognized as a god in EVERY SETTING? This isn't explained at all...
    Also, why the crap would the Blood War end just because the Abyss was "moved"? Demons can't open portals to the Nine Hells or other Planes to fight Devils anymore? Or... how did this actually end anything? Furthermore, the Demons specifically oppose all the gods (that's a major thing in D&D, elemental chaos vs. the order of the gods), so why would Asmodeus becoming a god cause the demons to stop fighting?!

I would enjoy a unique setting a lot more than a setting with inconsistent (and, frankly, often nonsensical) lore.
    This is some Bendis level of continuity errors.
    @deltago I quickly skimmed through your post, so I missed that. My bad.
    edited September 2017

This is some Bendis level of continuity errors.

Ever since WotC bought D&D from TSR, we've been seeing the same kind of crap over and over again, major continuity errors or lore inconsistencies.

• VallmyrVallmyr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 2,457
    edited September 2017
    I think you can blame having different writers each edition. So far it looks like 5e follows the continuity of 1e>2e>3.x>5e.

Most stuff from 4e is cut except some stuff about the Shadowfell and Feywild which both have been heavily reworked.

Edit: Like Azuth is a deity again. He's even listed in the 5e PHB.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Vallmyr said:

I think you can blame having different writers each edition. So far it looks like 5e follows the continuity of 1e>2e>3.x>5e.

Most stuff from 4e is cut except some stuff about the Shadowfell and Feywild which both have been heavily reworked.

Lol even WotC says that 4th doesn't matter.

Vallmyr said:

Lol even WotC says that 4th doesn't matter.
    Yeah, I can't confirm but I think Ed Greenwood didn't work on 4e FR so when he returned to 5e he wrote the second sundering where the tablets of fate where re-written and the lore in-universe was literally reconnected so 4e didn't happen.
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMage
    Vallmyr said:

Which makes it even worse, because Asmodeus is ALSO a deity. /facepalm
    I think they explained it as a divine spark of Azuth escaped or something. I'll try and find the confirmation on this.
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    With Lords of Waterdeep being released for PC/Mac yesterday, and Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation announced for release later this fall, and the new D&D clicker game, lots of D&D digital products are coming out all of a sudden. Beamdog better announce their new game very soon so they don't get left behind. :wink:
    ShapiroKeatsDarkMageKamigoroshi
    kanisatha said:

With Lords of Waterdeep being released for PC/Mac yesterday, and Tales from Candlekeep: Tomb of Annihilation announced for release later this fall, and the new D&D clicker game, lots of D&D digital products are coming out all of a sudden. Beamdog better announce their new game very soon so they don't get left behind. :wink:

Are those games good?
    deltago
    edited September 2017
    First time I ever heard about those two upcoming D&D games. O.o"

While I couldn't care less about Lords of Waterdeep and its trading card like gameplay. Tales from Candlekeep looks at least like an interesting game. What with its main setting being based in Chult and having playable Saurial, Tabaxi and Aaracokra NPC's. Only downsides I saw was that it doesn't seem to let players create their own protagonist. As well probably being not faithful to the ruleset. Still looks better than Dragonshard though.
    deltagoSjerrie

First time I ever heard about those two upcoming D&D games. O.o"

While I couldn't care less about Lords of Waterdeep and its trading card like gameplay. Tales from Candlekeep looks at least like an interesting game. What with its main setting being based in Chult and having playable Saurial, Tabaxi and Aaracokra NPC's. Only downsides I saw was that it doesn't seem to let players create their own protagonist. As well probably being not faithful to the ruleset. Still looks better than Dragonshard though.

Did you Say SAURIAL!? OoO

Yep, players can use Dragonbait the Saurial Paladin as their protagonist:

ShapiroKeatsDarkMageSjerrie
    edited September 2017

Yep, players can use Dragonbait the Saurial Paladin as their protagonist:

Why we haven't got the saurial PC race in a 5e book yet? >_< @Vallmyr