Skip to content

All you wanted to know about the next Beamdog's project

Comments

• ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428
    Fardragon said:

Something that would fit with the graphics we have seen: ArcanumEE/Arcanum2.

I like Arcanum's setting.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited October 2017

Fardragon said:

Something that would fit with the graphics we have seen: ArcanumEE/Arcanum2.

I like Arcanum's setting.
    Story was good too, but the gameplay was very lacking. lol

How NPCs interacted with your character can be hilarious. Play a half-ogre, and the monk guy flatout insults you. :D

For example:

• scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072
    An Arcanum on a modern (or just a functional) engine would be cool. The fact that it was so jammed with filler combat but the combat so subpar (although on TB it was at least standable for me) was always Arcanum's biggest flaw.

I wouldn't bet on it being that, tough.
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    scriver said:

An Arcanum on a modern (or just a functional) engine would be cool. The fact that it was so jammed with filler combat but the combat so subpar (although on TB it was at least standable for me) was always Arcanum's biggest flaw.

I wouldn't bet on it being that, tough.

I would love to see Arcanum made EE, especially by bringing the combat up to date. Rip out the combat engine from Arcanum and instead insert Shadowruns combat engine, and you have an AMAZING game right then and there. Yes, make it FULLY turnbased, that works well with cover systems. You can even have a "watch" skill, that is "saved" for the enemy turn, so if something moves in the line of sight, that character will fire on the moving characters turn, many games have a skill just like that.

However, didn't we get to see minotaur artwork and a sun dial that very much look like the BG or mb Planescape Torment sun dial from an artist BD contracted?

Me thinks the nest BD game will be a DnD game, probably a FR game, but I am guessing more east or more south than the sword coast? It will probably also be 5E, since WoTC apparently wants that engine promoted.
    edited October 2017
    ThacoBell said:

Am I the only person who doesn't want fully turn based combat? Isometric turn based makes fights last too long and they become a slog rather than a fun experience. I'd MUCH rather have real time with pause, so that the player has more control over how tactical/fast paced they want to play.

Depends on the game. Divinity OS takes forever, PoE realtime is much better.., but Realmz does not and neither does Shadowrun. It all comes down to streamlining. Also, less is more. A few but really interesting fights are way better than lots of dull fights.

Edit: Or Temple of Elemental Evil. FFFUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCKKK those fights are dull. That, and the never ending village of subplots you cant give two shits about is actually why I never made it further than the frogs.
  • rapsam2003rapsam2003 Member Posts: 1,636
    edited October 2017
    I don't mind turn-based if it's not ridiculously complex. Now, complexity is good, but if it means my turn takes 30 seconds each time in cRPG... that's bad. I want smooth gameplay.
  • elmurdocelmurdoc Member Posts: 17
    ThacoBell said:

Am I the only person who doesn't want fully turn based combat? Isometric turn based makes fights last too long and they become a slog rather than a fun experience. I'd MUCH rather have real time with pause, so that the player has more control over how tactical/fast paced they want to play.

I agree turn based is always dull and boring in games where you use a lot Melee combat, but i have to say it works much better when the combat is Ranged like in Shadowrun
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    I don't mind turn-based combat, and I actually liked TOEE a lot esp with its cool mods. But I grew up with pseudo real-time I think that's what they call it - BG, NWN, KotOR - so yeah, I prefer it more.
    ToEE has the best combat of any dnd game to date, hands down. Few games in the entire rpg genre can stand up to it's glory.
    scriver said:

ToEE has the best combat of any dnd game to date, hands down. Few games in the entire rpg genre can stand up to it's glory.

No.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    ThacoBell said:

I didn't like Divinity: Original Sin for this very reason.
    @DrakenICN the thing is though I think there are only a few of us who would bother, would care to guess what they are working on — the beneficial side is simply not there IMO, but of course I don’t have any statistics to back this up. It’s just my observation that the community is not as active as it used to be, perhaps partly because of that (or is it mainly because of “the controversy”)? There would likely be more interest in throwing in bits of information (not necessarily promises) enough for the people to talk about them, and better yet, get some ideas from the community, instead of leaving us all in the dark, until some months before release (where it might even get past the radar of some if not many gamers). If it is just the fear of not being able to deliver the “right stuff,” can they not get around the problem by not making big promises or in fact, they need not make any promise at all — there are other ways to do that — maybe even a glimpse of what they have already accomplished so far, or just teasers (better than what we’re getting now that is close to nothing) enough for more people to talk about it?
    Has anyone here played Jagged Alliance? Same as BG, a childhood game that even until now, remains to be one of my most favorite games. If BD is really working on a squad turn-based game of sort, I hope they can get or learn from some of the good elements of that game. That game is brilliant. Good times. The relatively new X-COM game is fun, but it feels lifeless compared to JA. In fact, just for having an ios version alone, I would love to have an EE version of that game.
    Played Jagged Alliance 2, one of my absolute favourite games when it comes to combat, even more so with mods. That game is in fact why I didn't outright call ToEE's the best combat of all rpgs, just among them ;)

• GenderNihilismGirdleGenderNihilismGirdle Member Posts: 1,353
    If Beamdog ever makes a game unto the Infinity Engine D&D games as Fallout Tactics was unto Fallout, I'd love to see it be a Blood War game.
  • semiticgoddesssemiticgoddess Member Posts: 14,903
    @GenderNihilismGirdle is back! Woo!

@GenderNihilismGirdle is back! Woo!

Backish! Back for today at least, and less intermittently than I have been going forward hopefully...but still probably at least a little intermittently lol
  • ShapiroKeatsDarkMageShapiroKeatsDarkMage Member Posts: 2,428

If Beamdog ever makes a game unto the Infinity Engine D&D games as Fallout Tactics was unto Fallout, I'd love to see it be a Blood War game.

Return of the Girdle.

Not blood war, but;
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=R3tPdGvPDi8

You're welcome!
    @DrakeICN I own this game actually lmao

not what I mean though, Fallout Tactics was still in-engine identical to Fallout 2, it was just a game where you went into encounters basically expecting violence with a little commando squad. I'd love to see an Infinity Engine game where the combat is exactly like in the other IE games but plays more like Fallout Tactics did using Fallout 2's engine.
  • FardragonFardragon Member Posts: 4,511
    Black Pits 3?
  • RedrakeRedrake Member Posts: 426
    Dev6 said:

I just want an IE game in Chult with dinosaurs.

Please Beamdog? :)

They would need first to implement the Riding skill.