Skip to content

Tactical use of squirrels and other critters

After decades of re-playing these wonderful games, specially BG 1, I started inventing my own sets of rules. For instance, now I almost always play without reloading, without resting more than once per area, no using cheese (web, sleep, recharging wands, greenstone amulet, acid arrows, etc), no buying potions or scrolls, no re-rolling, no min-maxing, always having a party of 6... There is more, if anybody is interested, I'll post it.
This makes for a very difficult run, not being able to use the usual "strategies" on some enemies, like the sirines. I was standing there, almost at the door to the cave with the golems, thinking about a suitable non-chessy strategy to defeat them. A squirrel passed me by, and then I looked at Minsc and it hit me.

A picture is worth a thousand words:

Then, I started messing around with critters, just for the fun of it. I charmed a chicken and gave him strength, then:

These are suitable replacements for summoning spells for fodder, and besides it's a level 2 spell for druids, and an innate ability for rangers, making it available sooner.

What do you guys think?
ThacoBellArctodustbone1sarevok57NonnahswriterSon_of_ImoenAerakarKamigoroshiZaghoulSkatanJuliusBorisovKuronaMirandelAnduinTresset[Deleted User]GrumEmpyrialYgramulArdul

Comments

• PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201
    edited August 2017
    Never tried it with chicken but I often use it with wolves or bears when they are neutral because of my ranger or druid in party. Used squirrels too, but mostly just to see that it works. Either that or charming some foe directly.
    Overall it works better than some low class summoning spell.
    AerakarEggHuevoKusel
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    edited August 2017
    You just reminded me of this bit of my youth, and I cannot thank you enough

Superchicken theme song

And I really need to try this on my Druid run
    ronaldoEggHuevo
  • KamigoroshiKamigoroshi Member Posts: 5,870
    Not really related to the IE's, but the web novel A Practical Guide To Evil: Do Wrong Right describes a genuine tactical use for such critters.

First you need a necromancer who raises some dead lifestock, then place large amounts of explosives into their guts. After the enemy camp is in sight, you ignite their fuses while staying hidden. And then make the carcasses run towards the target like crazy. The enemy will first assume farm animals broke out somewhere. But then: boom! Only craters remain.

Heh, I laughed my ass off from that scene. Especially the one liner: "Release... the goats!" *baah* :joy:
    EggHuevoBalrog99mf2112Anduin
  • TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    Hmph. I am not sure I approve of this or not. As Commander in Chief of the Squirrel Squadron I appreciate that my agents are showing just how amazing they can be, but I don't approve of using them as meat shields for species of lesser cuteness. :/
    [Deleted User]EmpyrialZaghoulArdul
  • JumboWheat01JumboWheat01 Member Posts: 1,028
    This is genius. I approve of raising a massive squirrel army, and must try it myself.
    tbone1EggHuevo
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    The nerve...Emergency missives have been sent to Amarande and Seniyad both. A disturbance in the forest, massive critter loss occurring. ;)B)
    EggHuevoArctodusThacoBellMirandel