Skip to content

Worst weather effects ever in a videogame.

StovichStovich Member Posts: 15
Let me preface this first by saying I absolutely love Siege of Dragonspear. It is for this reason that I must bring up my disdain for the overcast/fog effects added to this new campaign. I find myself saving/loading just to reset the clouds that are constantly rolling in.

Seriously, what is the justification for these completely asinine effects? Half the time when I play the game, I feel like I gazing into an old-timey TV set that is projecting white static into my eyeballs, making me squint just to see anything.

This brain-damaged weather implementation is giving me eye-slit syndrome.

How the hell can I permanently remove this garbage from my game? I don't want to wait for a patch.

Look at this trash:

If you look really closely, you'll notice I took a screenshot of a videogame.

SkatanRaduzielsemiticgoddess

Comments

• SkatanSkatan Member, Moderator Posts: 5,352
    I totally agree, the fog effect is horrendous. Kinda surprising since everything else in SoD is so incredibly beautiful.
    semiticgoddess
  • StovichStovich Member Posts: 15
    Thank you

If you're playing on PC, you can edit the baldur.lua in the game folder in your Documents.

Find SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Enable Fog','1') and set it to 0.

If you're on any other system you're probably out of luck.

Thank you kindly!

Perhaps now my friends and family will stop accusing me of Clint Eastwood impressions when I play Siege of Dragonspear.

It is certainly the prettiest game in this series - when I've been able to see it.

semiticgoddess
    That line did not exist in the lua script, so I had to add it. Works perfectly though.
    Shikao
  • Papa_LouPapa_Lou Member Posts: 263
    tbone1 said:

Actually, that looks like an average morning in Beijing.

Seriously, I have been in fogs that limited vision to less than ten feet. One happened while driving in suburban Chicago during as freezing rain coated the Stevens at the start of morning rush hour.

The fog in Newfoundland is about the same, if not worse.

If Newfoundland fog was prevalent in SoD, the game would be damn near unplayable. :D

I do agree, though. As much as I like SoD, the fog effect always seemed really lame to me. I'll keep this thread in mind so I can make @Artemius_I's fix when I get off work as well.
    tbone1ArctodusDurenas
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
    Could you please log the idea about a fog effect option in the in-game options as a Feature on support.baldursgate.com ?
    Skatan
    edited August 2017

Could you please log the idea about a fog effect option in the in-game options as a Feature on support.baldursgate.com ?

Smashing idea lad! Done.

https://support.baldursgate.com/issues/32245

JuliusBorisovbob_veng
  • NeverusedNeverused Member Posts: 803
    I came here expecting a rant about lightning-induced deaths and not going to lie, I'm slightly disappointed. :tongue:
    ThacoBellShikaoJuliusBorisov
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I think the difference is that you can already turn off natural lightning (weather) in the gameplay options screen, while you need to know how to adjust the LUA file to turn off the fog effect.
    JuliusBorisov
  • DoubledimasDoubledimas Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,286
    edited August 2017
    There is a component in Argent77's mod to reveal the option to toggle fog on and off. You can find the mod here.
    Post edited by Doubledimas on
    Grond0JuliusBorisovSkatan
  • IllustairIllustair Member Posts: 877
    @Papa_Lou that looks cool; but at the same time, it looks like something that came straight from a Stephen King novel!

Anyway, I thought this fog stuff is a bug. It would also noticeably slow down the game. Back then, I couldn't get rid of it, not unless I reload an earlier save. So, it still hasn't been fixed then?
  • bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    i generally liked it and don't remember an extreme example like the one in the above attached screenshot but it's true that it slows down the game.