Skip to content

Is Imoen an Evil Genius? (Massive Tarrasque-Sized Spoilers Throughout)

Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
For years we have been thinking of Imoen as our adorable (or unbearable) little sister: a happy-go-lucky, good-hearted kid who is intensely loyal to the Charname. But now conclusive proof has been uncovered revealing that as soon as you leave Candlekeep Imoen goes on a killing spree, slaughtering defenceless animals: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/66313/how-did-imoen-get-9-exp

So do we need to reassess everything we think about Imoen? Is she in fact using the Charname as a cat's paw to achieve her own ends? Is Imoen the one pulling the strings throughout your adventures? Is she the puppet master? Is Imoen the true power behind the Throne of Bhaal?

Look at the evidence:

1. She knows more about your flight from Candlekeep than you do. She turns up just after Gorion is killed. Coincidence? Maybe. Or did she watch and wait until the battle was over?

2. She keeps herself to herself and rarely interacts with anyone but the Charname. But she always complains if she doesn't like what you are doing and praises you when you do what she wants.

3. You can't get rid of her. No matter how you try. She will keep coming back.

4. In SoD she says she can't join you because she wouldn't be much use but she follows you through the first dungeon like a tour guide. None of the monsters in the dungeon will try to attack her. Even if everyone else is killed Imoen will survive.

5. Imoen sits out the whole of SoD because she says she is learning magic (even if she already knows more magic than she learns). Is this true or is she up to something? Is she, for instance, plotting with the Hooded Man?

6. At the end of SoD Imoen takes the credit for breaking you out of jail. But just before this happens the Hooded Man turns up and predicts that you will escape. Are they in this together?

7. Once you do escape Imoen chooses the path you take and just happens to lead you into an ambush.

8. You wake up in Chateau Irenicus and Imoen frees you from your cage. She claims she escaped from her own cage because it was damaged in the attack by the Shadow Thieves. Seems kind of convenient doesn't it?

9. She then tells you that she was tortured by Irenicus. But you only have her word for this. What if she was helping Irenicus in his studies? Wielding the knife that killed Khalid? Or worse yet, what if she was the one guiding the operation? Telling Irenicus where to cut?

10. When you break out into Waukeen's Promenade and the Cowled Wizards come to arrest Irenicus she makes sure she gets arrested by firing a Magic Missile at him. If she was really intending on fighting a battle with a powerful enemy mage there is no way she would start by firing a Magic Missile. She is just using a weak spell to ensure that she gets taken into custody with him.

11. Everyone has assumed that Imoen doesn't want to be taken to Spellhold but what if it is exactly where she wants to go? She knows Irenicus is a real threat to the Charname so she wants to make sure she can stay close to him. Irenicus is Imoen's dupe just as much as the Charname is.

12. In the end she achieves the power she wants without anyone ever suspecting what she is really up to. Even Elminster is taken in:

And what of Imoen, the eternal child? She had long stood in the shadow of
, but she was her own person, and would find her fate where she
pleased. She returned to Candlekeep for a time, her formidable skill in magic
granting a greater appreciation for its tomes. It was smaller than she
remembered, however, and she did not stay long. Later she was seen in such
vaunted company as Khelben "Blackstaff" and Elminster, by all accounts
encouraging them to not be such stick-in-the-muds. Her influence grew over
time, and she may have founded a thieves' guild that now operates all the way
to Neverwinter. When asked of this she always answered with a smile of purest
innocence. "Heya," she would say, "it's just me, Imoen."

Imoen. We never suspected her because she was hiding in plain sight.

Post edited by Permidion_Stark on

Comments

• jasteyjastey Member Posts: 2,671
    edited September 2017
    Veeery suspicious, I have to say!

I was always puzzled where she was supposed to be held captive in ID. She emerges from the room with all the weapons (and Jaheira's cell key) and if you want to go there, all you find is a privy and a locked door.
  • lroumenlroumen Member Posts: 2,508
    I always assumed she was locked in a tube like so many prisoners there
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    No offence, but are you trying to earn the "most topics created" award or something?
  • UnderstandMouseMagicUnderstandMouseMagic Member Posts: 2,147
    @Permidion_Stark

What's with the "we" in the OP?
    Some of us were never fooled.

And that belt that can't be removed.......what powers does it hold?

@Iroumen

Imoen must have had access to the second floor through the portal in ID. It's where you find Khalid and we all know how involved she was in that killing.

"He was already dead" yeah sure Imoen.
    O_Bruce said:

No offence, but are you trying to earn the "most topics created" award or something?

Oh dear, looks like the OP has offended some Imoen fans. :D
    Poor misguided fools.
    They will learn.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    You will learn to not base your claims on nothing.
  • ZaghoulZaghoul Member, Moderator Posts: 3,938
    IF Imoen was not the ALL important mastermind, and the series was not all about her achieving everything she ever wanted, then why in the heck did this happen when I first played through SoD?

I failed to protect Immy in the opening dungeon, she got killed, and it was GAME OVER? I mean, What's going on here? She can be raised up like every other Tom, Dick, and Hairy NPC in the game. Is that one of her special Bhaalspawn abilities? The ability to hold on to her essence longer than poor ol CHARNAME, that can't be raised?

There's definitely something going on with this 'lil innocent girl', as we have been discovering. ;)

@Permidion_Stark

What's with the "we" in the OP?
    Some of us were never fooled.

@Iroumen

Imoen must have had access to the second floor through the portal in ID. It's where you find Khalid and we all know how involved she was in that killing.

"He was already dead" yeah sure Imoen.

Hmmm. I wonder if this is where she maybe started moving on from animals? ;)>:)
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985

It is a Belt of Accessorizing. Goes with anything from designer jeans to a cute little black dress to Armor of the Night.

Or it holds the souls of Seattle musicians. Hence the early deaths of Andrew Wood, Layne Stanley, Kurt Cobain, Chris Cornell, ...

It's just like that old gypsy woman said!
  • WarChiefZekeWarChiefZeke Member Posts: 2,651
    Imoen is of Good alignment so she's obviously a Good Genius, those animals were clearly on a plot that threatened all of Faerun, but we just skipped past them and their vile conspiracy because we are all buffle-headed.
  • GodGod Member Posts: 1,150
    Neutral Good is actually far more evil than Chaotic Evil.
    tbone1 said:

It is a Belt of Accessorizing. Goes with anything from designer jeans to a cute little black dress to Armor of the Night.

Or it holds the souls of Seattle musicians. Hence the early deaths of Andrew Wood, Layne Stanley, Kurt Cobain, Chris Cornell, ...

It's just like that old gypsy woman said!
    Oooh, an excuse to put this link up.

Apropos of nothing, just possibly my favourite music video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDMvN45sjo4

(tried ever so hard to find a way to link it to "Evil Imoen" (how sad is that?) but gave up and decided it's worth a watch anyway)
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited September 2017
    https://g.co/kgs/JtNsyq

Mucked up attaching the video but link still works. One of my favorite grunge videos - Get Born Again by Alice in Chains...
    Of course, the really tragic early death of a Seattle musician:

https://youtu.be/IPtv14q9ZDg
    edited October 2017

This post had me all the way until the end. But:

We never suspected her because she was hiding in plain sight.

Hide In Plain Sight is hard-coded to only work for Shadowdancers, and Imoen is a Trueclass thief.

Theory. Debunked.
    Ahh yes. The Doc makes a good point. But I always think the best place to hide a tree is in the forest. No special skills needed. Just hang out innocently with rest and wait for the right time and place. Stand still a little here, inch a little closer there, and bam, exclaim "What was that" (looking around innocently), and no one is the wiser, hehheh. B)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2017
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Clones, hmmm, interesting. Or did randy ol Bhaal shack up with a doppleganger 'in human form' to? I mean, its not like there is a shortage of doppies around, leastwise in BG1. :*
    chimaera said:

This post had me all the way until the end. But:

We never suspected her because she was hiding in plain sight.

Hide In Plain Sight is hard-coded to only work for Shadowdancers, and Imoen is a Trueclass thief.

Theory. Debunked.
    Oh, I'd not be so sure about it. Imoen you talk to in Candlekeep is apparently a mage, yet the one that joins you on the road is a thief. And even should she remain only a thief in BG1, in JonBon's dungeon she is a thief>mage.

I propose the hypothesis that there are multiple Imoens. The shadowdancer Imoen is the leader - always hidden and pulling strings from the shadows. This would also explain why she can be resurrected as a Bhaalspawn. She actually isn't; another clone takes her place. And where would they all come from? Well, we know of one elven mage who dabbled in cloning. And we have already established she was in cohorts with him at the beginning of BG2. In the end, the army of Imoen clones outplayed both their master and charname in their rise to power.
    This I love.
    The idea that there are endless clones of Imoen called up whenever an "Imoen" is needed.

Could be why she says "Hya, it's me Imoen" all the time, she's just throwing you off the scent.

Another Imoen "incantation" is the one you meet in Spellhold. Somebody here pointed it out to me recently, even if you teach her loads of spells in CI, she doesn't have them when you pick her up in SH.

Cue this;

https://youtube.com/watch?v=hAAlDoAtV7Y
  • scriverscriver Member Posts: 2,072

Immortality.
  • FinneousPJFinneousPJ Member Posts: 6,455
    Yes
  • DrakeICNDrakeICN Member Posts: 623
    No. I did not even read the arguments.

You may act all cute so others think you are good while you are secretly evil, but you can't hide your alignment from a detect evil spell. It probes your soul, man!!!
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    DrakeICN said:

No. I did not even read the arguments.

You may act all cute so others think you are good while you are secretly evil, but you can't hide your alignment from a detect evil spell. It probes your soul, man!!!

Are you certain her soul is good?

Just an itty-bitty piece of it will help bring Sarevok back to life.

And have you actually tried casting Detect Evil on her recently?

I call "mod" here. Or helm of opposite alignment. Or photoshop. Or Alternatve Alignments.

Anyway, just tried this in BG2 v2.4 and she is not evil, even after Chateau Irenicus and Spellhold. And smelling Minsc's chafing armor
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @Permidion_Stark "Are you certain her soul is good?"
    Of course
    If her soul was evil, it would have devoured Sarevok, ala Mask of the Betrayer.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • WesboiWesboi Member Posts: 403
    She Keyser Söze'd us all!
  • themazingnessthemazingness Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 702
    edited October 2017
    This theory reminds me of the Darth Jar-Jar theory,
    https://youtu.be/8yy3q9f84EA
    tbone1 said:

I call "mod" here. Or helm of opposite alignment. Or photoshop. Or Alternatve Alignments.

Anyway, just tried this in BG2 v2.4 and she is not evil, even after Chateau Irenicus and Spellhold. And smelling Minsc's chafing armor

Yeah, but which clone did you try it on?

As we have already established beyond doubt ( :p ) that "Imoen" is in fact a series of clones created by TPTB.