Skip to content

75 point challenge...

I hereby decree a challenge to complete the game on Insane using any character (except Sorcerers, Shaman, or Skalds) with a total ability point score of 75 or less.

The reason for excluding those kits is because ability points don't matter much to those kits. The (un-monitored) rules are that you cannot change the game to any setting other than Insane for the whole game.

Of course there is no real way to sanction this event, but just take it as a personal challenge, in your own game play, to play a game with a 75 point char instead of re-rolling for the perfect char.

The really difficult aspect of this is that I don't like how Mages and INT are implemented, so in practice I always set the game to Normal to memorize spells, because it seems that the chance of learning spells isn't implemented correctly, and even if it was I don't think INT should dictate chance to learn a spell, it should dictate chance to cast a spell without failure.

I mean, losing out on an entire spell just because of a roll with a 2% chance of not learning it is pretty bogus. But anyway, I digress.

The point, I challenge you to play through a game with a sub-optimal PC and report back!
JuliusBorisovXavioria

Comments

• TressetTresset Member, Moderator Posts: 8,262
    I, uh, really hate to disappoint you, but I can almost guarantee that many people here have done this at least several times. Some people seem to refuse to play in any other way than with sub-optimal characters.

Not me, of course, but many others...
    Shikao
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,714
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    edited October 2017
    Sort of on this topic, I would really like to see an option to make the stat roll the first step of character generation. That way the roll totals would be lower (because of no enforced minimum stats) and would enhance the roleplaying aspect of the game - i.e. 'these are the stats I've got, what character can I play?', rather than vice versa.

Forgot to add: No reallocation of points from one stat to another.
    Permidion_Stark
  • Permidion_StarkPermidion_Stark Member Posts: 4,861
    @dunbar
    I think that would be a great option to have. I would also like to have the option to choose the portrait I am going to use at the end of character creation rather than at the start. So you roll for abilities, then choose your character class and finally choose what you look like.
    dunbar
  • malachi151malachi151 Member Posts: 152

@dunbar
    I think that would be a great option to have. I would also like to have the option to choose the portrait I am going to use at the end of character creation rather than at the start. So you roll for abilities, then choose your character class and finally choose what you look like.

Agreed. And it makes sense too from an RP perspective. Basically, you are born with natural propensities. You are born naturally strong or nimble or smart, etc. and then choose to focus on developing those natural talents into an appropriate discipline. That's how it works in real life.

Some guy that's born thin and frail doesn't tend to go into football. A short guy doesn't tend to take up basketball. A dumb guy doesn't tend to shoot for medical school. Etc.

Choosing a class first, then rolling it kinda backwards, BUT I think they do it that way so they can apply the required minimums, etc.
  • ElendarElendar Member Posts: 831
    Meh, I'll stick with my 90+ rolls :P
    Permidion_StarkThacoBellsarevok57Shikao
  • LoomisLoomis Member Posts: 25
    dunbar said:

Sort of on this topic, I would really like to see an option to make the stat roll the first step of character generation. That way the roll totals would be lower (because of no enforced minimum stats) and would enhance the roleplaying aspect of the game - i.e. 'these are the stats I've got, what character can I play?', rather than vice versa.

Forgot to add: No reallocation of points from one stat to another.

Stat rollers on iPad for free or get some dice at Barnes and noble , toy store , comic store etc ... roll your own ... use ee keeper ... if you dont want to wait for a patch that will prolly never come ... if your on iPad ... prolly nothing you can do unless you roll a fighter first then roll ability score ... then pick a class and keep rolling til you get that number ?