Skip to content

[obsolete] Big World Setup (BWS): Mod Manager for Baldur's Gate / Enhanced Edition (Trilogy)

Comments

• VeskoVesko Member Posts: 28
    Hey guys, i didnt find horn of valhalla in its normal place, bridge district nw house. searched whole house, every corner, nada. is it supposed to be somewhere else? im on recommended setup and no, didnt choose randomizer mod, i checked. is ee/eet changing item locations? if its a glitch ill just eekeper it, just need info.
  • brunardobrunardo Member Posts: 526
    nope I found it with bws/scs set up eet...
  • AndreaColomboAndreaColombo Member Posts: 5,525
    edited October 2017
    Got a couple queries regarding BWS.

The first one pertains to the install order of Infinity Animations relative to 1PP. In my current BGT istallation I have both, and I chose to install the Infinity Animations component that restores BG1 sprites. Now, 1PPv4 includes a smart patching function that checks whether BG1 sprites from IA are installed and gives you the appropriate paperdolls. However, BWS seems to put BG1 sprites much farther down the installation order compared to 1PPv4, which results in graphical glitches in the inventory screen. Is there any way to inverse this order without screwing every other mod over?

My second question relates to Almateria's Restorations. It appears that BWS doesn't offer the possibility to install the "Restored Random Encounters" and "Minor Restorations" components—any idea as to the reason? Do you think it would be a major issue to install Minor Restorations after everything else?

Oooooooookay, so the silver horn was buyable in fighter stronghold after you accept that traveling priest. Sheesh. Why didnt that damn berserker leave a note he was going on a trip?
  • PaulaMigratePaulaMigrate Member Posts: 1,201

The first one pertains to the install order of Infinity Animations relative to 1PP. In my current BGT istallation I have both, and I chose to install the Infinity Animations component that restores BG1 sprites. Now, 1PPv4 includes a smart patching function that checks whether BG1 sprites from IA are installed and gives you the appropriate paperdolls. However, BWS seems to put BG1 sprites much farther down the installation order compared to 1PPv4, which results in graphical glitches in the inventory screen. Is there any way to inverse this order without screwing every other mod over?

My second question relates to Almateria's Restorations. It appears that BWS doesn't offer the possibility to install the "Restored Random Encounters" and "Minor Restorations" components—any idea as to the reason? Do you think it would be a major issue to install Minor Restorations after everything else?

Are you aware that the BWS denotes the BGT branch as outdated and unsupported. According to some posts over at Spellhold forum, you can use BWS to download and unpack your mods but there's a new BWP version for install. But better check over at Spellhold, mine is second hand information I stumbled across and I don't use BGT myself anymore.
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/59470-bwpv17/
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/page-225#entry597262
  • Serg_BlackStriderSerg_BlackStrider Member Posts: 210
    edited October 2017

I think, one possible solution for you might be to exclude 1PPv4 from BWS altogether, set BWS to pause after Infinity Animations is being installed, install 1PPv4 manually, resume BWS to install the remaining mods.
    I don't know for sure (I've only used BWS once to get my current BWS/BGT setup) if it's possible to pause BWS *after* the mod is already installed but it's definitely possible to pause BWS *before* installing the mod - right click on either the overall mod or the first component and check "Pause before installation". I can't check right now if it's possible to check "Pause after installation" instead but if it is then it might work for you.

edit:

According my current WeiDU log (I do use IA BG1 Animations but not 1PP for now as I have Item Revisions and they aren't quite compatible with 1PP), BWS put *BG1 Animations for NPCs* and *BG1 Animations for Exported PCs* a way down the installation order so seems you are pretty safe to set pause after those components, install 1PPv4 manually and resume BWS to install the few remaining mods.

Post edited by Serg_BlackStrider on
  • KoraxtheGhoulKoraxtheGhoul Member Posts: 5
    edited October 2017
    Having a problem, folks. Mod merge runs and creates a DLC folder but Big World is not seeing it. Makes me think Modmerge failed somewhere.
    Edit: Renamed the dlc zip to sod.zip.disabled and it seems to recognize it now...

Edit 2: And I'm back at square one:

"Attention: According to your WeiDU.log, mods have been installed already.
    You have not made a backup with BWS, therefore you must completely install
    "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" anew."

I tried to remove a particularly poorly written mod and have since reinstalled both games multiples times... and made backups. The problem persists.
    Post edited by KoraxtheGhoul on
  • Wise_GrimwaldWise_Grimwald Member Posts: 3,857
    @KoraxtheGhoul Have you got the most recent version of modmerge?

I was having a similar problem and getting a new version solved it.
    The most recent in the drop box.

Are you aware that the BWS denotes the BGT branch as outdated and unsupported. According to some posts over at Spellhold forum, you can use BWS to download and unpack your mods but there's a new BWP version for install. But better check over at Spellhold, mine is second hand information I stumbled across and I don't use BGT myself anymore.
    http://www.shsforums.net/topic/56670-big-world-setup-an-attempt-to-update-the-program/page-225#entry597262

I see. I skimmed through the threads you linked and checked the BWP download link in Leonardo Watson's signature, but it gave me the same BWS version that I already possess. That doesn't super bode well for BGT installations ... Looks like I'll have to pause the installer and do some manual magic to get APR and 1PP to work properly.

I see. I skimmed through the threads you linked and checked the BWP download link in Leonardo Watson's signature, but it gave me the same BWS version that I already possess. That doesn't super bode well for BGT installations ... Looks like I'll have to pause the installer and do some manual magic to get APR and 1PP to work properly.

Sorry for the bad news, I hope you won't blame the messenger. It's been long time since I last did BGT and now I even lost my last install and thus the weidu.log, so no idea about the sequence anymore.
    No worries, @PaulaMigrate :) I will look into my BGT install again at some point and try to make it work.
    Actually, when trying to use BWS to run an EET installation I got twice to the screen notifying me that the preparation steps were completed, but all buttons were greyed out and I couldn't continue.

Anybody else got the same problem?

Tangentially, looks like @Tresset 's choice tweaks and @argent77 's disable EE NPCs aren't on the list. Is anybody using them on an EET installation? What's the recommended order for them?
    edited October 2017

Actually, when trying to use BWS to run an EET installation I got twice to the screen notifying me that the preparation steps were completed, but all buttons were greyed out and I couldn't continue.

Anybody else got the same problem?

Tangentially, looks like @Tresset 's choice tweaks and @argent77 's disable EE NPCs aren't on the list. Is anybody using them on an EET installation? What's the recommended order for them?

Disable EE NPCs is on the selection list, even if I don't use it myself. BWS installs it prior EET Tweaks if selected. The other one I don't know what it is?
    I must have overlooked Disable EE NPCs when going through the mod list then; I will keep an eye out for it next time. Tresset's Choice Tweaks can be found here.

Have you ever had that same issue with BWS not offering to continue the installation after downloading all mods?

I must have overlooked Disable EE NPCs when going through the mod list then; I will keep an eye out for it next time. Tresset's Choice Tweaks can be found here.

Have you ever had that same issue with BWS not offering to continue the installation after downloading all mods?

Are there still open actions maybe? Or open windows from the extract?

That Tresset stuff looks like a private selection of little tweaks you could add. I've never seen it before and I don't think the BWS supports it in the current status of the tweaks. Maybe the author will make it into a mod with different selectable components one day. If so, someone may need to check compatibility and such before it goes into BWS.
  • pvddrpvddr Member Posts: 38
    edited October 2017
    Hey guys,

I'm having a problem with BigWorld, maybe you can help me. I manage to turn it on, select the mods I want, install, but then when I go play I find out that it installed the recommended mods instead of the ones I selected. For example, I don't want the "lower XP for removing traps" component, so I de-select it, I save. I install everything, and it turns out I'm getting less XP for traps, so the mod is installed. I also selected the Improved Archer mod that is originally blue (it's not default), and it's not installed. When I try to go to bigworld again and use "load latest selection", I just get the recommended mods again, and not the ones I originally selected.

So I deleted everything and used the backup, and the same thing happened. So I deleted everything and just installed the game again completely fresh, and the same thing happened. It doesn't matter what I do, I always get the recommended mods that come pre-selected, and I can never get the mods I actually want. I think it's probably that it's just not saving my selection, but I don't know how to make it do that. What am I doing wrong?

Also, non-related, is there a mod in the thing to get the SoD imported items in bg2ee without having to play SoD?

Thank you!
    @pvddr I have a similar problem. I don't want the set-up to remove the reputation boosts from unfinished business so I deselect it, but it still gets installed. There is no point in doing those quests if you don't get the reputation boost as the experience aquired is trivial.
    There is a bug which causes the Grey Clan Episode not to start. I am pretty sure that BWS causes it, but am not sure. The solution using CLUA is found here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65928/question-about-the-grey-clan-mod-fixed but it would be better if it were included in the set-up. Any chance of it happening? :)

There is a bug which causes the Grey Clan Episode not to start. I am pretty sure that BWS causes it, but am not sure. The solution using CLUA is found here: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/65928/question-about-the-grey-clan-mod-fixed but it would be better if it were included in the set-up. Any chance of it happening? :)

1. BWS does not cause bugs because it does not change the mod - it just installs it.
    2. The *bug* is a random thing - it never happened in my games which were installed with BWS. The issue is that the engine occasionally does not count the number of dead enemies correctly.
    3. If there were a *bug* and an appropriate *fix* for it, that should be implemented in the mod itself - or, since the mod is no longer maintained, included in the BWFixpack which the BWS uses.

I'm saying this because I pointed at the Clua command myself which is an in-game workaround but not a fix.
    In my games it seems to be almost guaranteed to occur. I'm wondering whether it be an idea for the writers of the Grey Clan Episode to introduce an extra bandit or two so that it is almost guaranteed to trigger. When there was a similar problem with rats at Candlekeep I used to CLUA in an extra rat which solved the problem. Do you think that would work?

In my games it seems to be almost guaranteed to occur. I'm wondering whether it be an idea for the writers of the Grey Clan Episode to introduce an extra bandit or two so that it is almost guaranteed to trigger. When there was a similar problem with rats at Candlekeep I used to CLUA in an extra rat which solved the problem. Do you think that would work?

The mod creates exactly 6 bandits and the the next step triggers when exactly 6 dead are counted. You may get a similar result by e.g. spawning 8 bandits and checking
    NumDeadGT("BW05BAAT",5)  // Grey Clan Bandit
    Global("BW05_TGC1","GLOBAL",1)
    CombatCounter(0)
    Anyway - it's either for the modder or the BWFixpack to do that. BWS has no functions to change a mod's code.

The mod creates exactly 6 bandits and the the next step triggers when exactly 6 dead are counted. You may get a similar result by e.g. spawning 8 bandits and checking
    NumDeadGT("BW05BAAT",5)  // Grey Clan Bandit
    CombatCounter(0)
    Anyway - it's either for the modder or the BWFixpack to do that. BWS has no functions to change a mod's code.

The mod creates exactly 6 bandits and the the next step triggers when exactly 6 dead are counted. You may get a similar result by e.g. checking
    NumDeadGT("BW05BAAT",4)  // Grey Clan Bandit
    CombatCounter(0)
    That new code would check that more than 4 of the 6 bandits spawned by the mod are dead and there is no active fighting going on anymore.

Having a problem, folks. Mod merge runs and creates a DLC folder but Big World is not seeing it. Makes me think Modmerge failed somewhere.
    Edit: Renamed the dlc zip to sod.zip.disabled and it seems to recognize it now...

Edit 2: And I'm back at square one:

"Attention: According to your WeiDU.log, mods have been installed already.
    You have not made a backup with BWS, therefore you must completely install
    "Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition" anew."

I tried to remove a particularly poorly written mod and have since reinstalled both games multiples times... and made backups. The problem persists.

I've still not found a solution to this. I remember my first installation was a nightmare to complete, but I can't remember what I need to. I guess it's relevant to note that this is the steam version, and previously i had it functioning despite it being still located in the default steam folder.
  • SirKalthorineSirKalthorine Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,

Just wondering if I am missing something obvious while trying to set up a Big World Setup EET game. I've tried to follow the guides as best I can.

So I have clean BG:EE [inc SoD] and BG2:EE installations inside D:\Games\Steam, ran each first and generated save games, ran modmerge inside my BG:EE folder to unpack SoD files, made sure I had most recent BWS files, set up an install directory that wasn't inside Program Files, and successfully ran it as far as downloading mods successfully with no warnings... so far so good.

But whenever I get to the installation stage I get his error every time:

##### Enhanced Edition Trilogy ##### ### 0000: Enhanced Edition Trilogy ### Ready for installation Setup-EET.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --args-list p "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" --force-install-list 0 --logapp [Setup-EET.exe] WeiDU version 24200 Using Language [English] Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk Installing [EET core - resource importation] [1.0 RC9.2] INTERACTIVE = 1 LANGUAGE = en_US argv[0] = p argv[1] = D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Copying and patching 1 file ... LANGUAGE_BG2 = en_US Creating 1 directory Copying 1 file ... Copying 1 file ... D:\Games\BG Big Picture\Big BG World>ECHO AMD64 | FINDSTR AMD64 1>NUL && SET arch_var=AMD64 || SET arch_var=x86 D:\Games\BG Big Picture\Big BG World>ECHO AMD64 1>EET\temp\arch_var.txt arch_var = x86_64\ Copying and patching 2 files ... D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition directory assigned via auto install batch command Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... LANGUAGE_BG1 = en_US Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... 54 BG:EE mods detected. Checking compatibility with EET... WEIDU BG:EE component detected BWS BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected SOA BG:EE component detected BG1AERIE BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPCMUSIC BG:EE component detected FINCHNPC BG:EE component detected NEERA BG:EE component detected NEERA BG:EE component detected NEERA BG:EE component detected NEERABANTERS BG:EE component detected NEERABANTERS BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BGEECLASSICMOVIES BG:EE component detected TLK merging... Copying 1 file ... Appending to files ... [setup-EET.exe] WeiDU version 24200 Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... tlk_start = 103213; tlk_end = 25106252 ERROR: No translation provided for @297290 Stopping installation because of error. Stopping installation because of error. ERROR Installing [EET core - resource importation], rolling back to previous state Will uninstall 1 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0. Uninstalled 1 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0. ERROR: Not_found PLEASE email the file SETUP-EET.DEBUG to K4thos (swit) Automatically Skipping [EET core - resource importation] because of error. Using Language [English] [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 297290 string entries NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS EET core - resource importation D:\Games\BG Big Picture\Big BG World> ERROR: No translation provided for @297290 ERROR: Not_found Enhanced Edition Trilogy (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) was not installed due to errors. Without this component the installation cannot be continued.

Can anyone help me here? Is this a known error or might I be doing something wrong - probably the latter as I assume the EET component itself must be pretty well tested.
    edited November 2017
    I assume that you switched off your antivirus system before installing?
    (When you do that, unplug connections to the net)
    Anti-virus software often stops programs installing.

Hi all,

Just wondering if I am missing something obvious while trying to set up a Big World Setup EET game. I've tried to follow the guides as best I can.

So I have clean BG:EE [inc SoD] and BG2:EE installations inside D:\Games\Steam, ran each first and generated save games, ran modmerge inside my BG:EE folder to unpack SoD files, made sure I had most recent BWS files, set up an install directory that wasn't inside Program Files, and successfully ran it as far as downloading mods successfully with no warnings... so far so good.

But whenever I get to the installation stage I get his error every time:

##### Enhanced Edition Trilogy ##### ### 0000: Enhanced Edition Trilogy ### Ready for installation Setup-EET.exe --no-exit-pause --noautoupdate --language 0 --skip-at-view --args-list p "D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition" --force-install-list 0 --logapp [Setup-EET.exe] WeiDU version 24200 Using Language [English] Using .\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk Installing [EET core - resource importation] [1.0 RC9.2] INTERACTIVE = 1 LANGUAGE = en_US argv[0] = p argv[1] = D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition Copying and patching 1 file ... LANGUAGE_BG2 = en_US Creating 1 directory Copying 1 file ... Copying 1 file ... D:\Games\BG Big Picture\Big BG World>ECHO AMD64 | FINDSTR AMD64 1>NUL && SET arch_var=AMD64 || SET arch_var=x86 D:\Games\BG Big Picture\Big BG World>ECHO AMD64 1>EET\temp\arch_var.txt arch_var = x86_64\ Copying and patching 2 files ... D:\Games\Steam\steamapps\common\Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition directory assigned via auto install batch command Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... LANGUAGE_BG1 = en_US Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... 54 BG:EE mods detected. Checking compatibility with EET... WEIDU BG:EE component detected BWS BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected BGQE BG:EE component detected SOA BG:EE component detected BG1AERIE BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPC BG:EE component detected BG1NPCMUSIC BG:EE component detected FINCHNPC BG:EE component detected NEERA BG:EE component detected NEERA BG:EE component detected NEERA BG:EE component detected NEERABANTERS BG:EE component detected NEERABANTERS BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BG1UB BG:EE component detected BGEECLASSICMOVIES BG:EE component detected TLK merging... Copying 1 file ... Appending to files ... [setup-EET.exe] WeiDU version 24200 Copying and patching 1 file ... Copying and patching 1 file ... tlk_start = 103213; tlk_end = 25106252 ERROR: No translation provided for @297290 Stopping installation because of error. Stopping installation because of error. ERROR Installing [EET core - resource importation], rolling back to previous state Will uninstall 1 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0. Uninstalled 1 files for [EET/EET.TP2] component 0. ERROR: Not_found PLEASE email the file SETUP-EET.DEBUG to K4thos (swit) Automatically Skipping [EET core - resource importation] because of error. Using Language [English] [.\lang\en_us\dialog.tlk] created, 297290 string entries NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS EET core - resource importation D:\Games\BG Big Picture\Big BG World> ERROR: No translation provided for @297290 ERROR: Not_found Enhanced Edition Trilogy (Enhanced Edition Trilogy) was not installed due to errors. Without this component the installation cannot be continued.

Can anyone help me here? Is this a known error or might I be doing something wrong - probably the latter as I assume the EET component itself must be pretty well tested.

Agree with @Wise_Grimwald that this sounds like a local problem with something trying to write protect the game files (e.g. dialog.tlk) to be modified.
    edited November 2017
    Hey guys, so i im almost done in the underdark. i talk to avalon to give her the eggs, she transforms and removes our drow disguises and then the scene just hangs, wo interface comming back and any further progress. I remember i chose not to have my chars colored drow, hoping this doesnt mess up the game...? any idea how to make it past that scene?

Also dont know if it matters, but i hear the sound of leveling up of 1-2 oy my chars. Not sure if it matters, but i had solaufein give me fake eggs near merchants and ALSO in front of temple, so i had 2 sets of his fake eggs. lol that sounds perverted. :-D im attaching some save files w & wo eggs if needed. I tried deleting eggs from inventory and nothing helps. Also threw all that accummulated drow stuff for selling, since it crashed my game when in bg1 mines, but here it didnt solve the problem.
    i also tried putting afaaq inside lamp, same...

12l is before i talk and other saves are when i drop mentioned stuff.
    Vesko said:

Hey guys, so i im almost done in the underdark. i talk to avalon to give her the eggs, she transforms and removes our drow disguises and then the scene just hangs, wo interface comming back and any further progress. I remember i chose not to have my chars colored drow, hoping this doesnt mess up the game...? any idea how to make it past that scene?

Also dont know if it matters, but i hear the sound of leveling up of 1-2 oy my chars. Not sure if it matters, but i had solaufein give me fake eggs near merchants and ALSO in front of temple, so i had 2 sets of his fake eggs. lol that sounds perverted. :-D im attaching some save files w & wo eggs if needed. I tried deleting eggs from inventory and nothing helps. Also threw all that accummulated drow stuff for selling, since it crashed my game when in bg1 mines, but here it didnt solve the problem.
    i also tried putting afaaq inside lamp, same...

12l is before i talk and other saves are when i drop mentioned stuff.

Try this one.
    I just started the dialogue, it went without issue, Adalon transported us out and I made the save.
    hmmmmm, well the save works, though Minsc now has extra spell slot outside of those he got as lvl up bonus, which CANT be used, probably our games difference. Or i messed too much w eekeeper, ehehe. I just killed avalon and took her scroll. and added xp as if i talked to her. it worked. But i do appreciate your solution , wouldve used it if i didnt think of this/tried this method. :-) its such a good thing to be able to count on someones help when you need it. :-)